Amberbreens

Oud Fan
Hello everyone,

so I'd use this thread for all my questions regarding attar-making.

I experimented a bit already by mixing some things - was not bad, but I think I don't have a good feeling for ratio yet.

I'd love to tell you what all I have and asked you to please give me some advice on what I blend together and how much.

From Apothecary's Garden:

Musk rat oil and tincture
Ambergris 10% tincture
Hyraceum absolu
Musk root absolue
Mastix chios oil
Storax oil (very thin)
Tonka tincture
Benzoin Sumatra absolutely
Benzoin siam absolutely
Bushman's candle tincture
Myrrh absolutely
Benzyl Benzoate


From Duftkumpels (Germany):
Patchouli Alhambra oil
Castoreum tincture
Iso e Super

From India
20 year old Mysore sandalwood oil

From here and there

Clary sage essential oil
Vanilla absolutely
Frangipani oil


I think that's it. I sadly don't have more ready to use ambergris, my macerations just started.

Can anyone give me advice on how to make a nice and slightly sweet attar from (some of) those ingredients? What would you do?

Also any recommendations on where to buy a small amount (1 ml wold be enough) ready to use deer musk oil or tincture would be much appreciated.

Best wishes
Amberbreens
 
Last edited:
Different question:

I always love to dig my nose into my cats fur as I think it smells sooo sweet and cozy. Also the paws/beans smell stunning.

So on my search for perfume materials I came across some Etsy creations called "kitten fur" - but the ingredients didn't quite convince me. So now I'm asking you - what does cat fur smell like to you? What ingredients would you use.

I'm mainly thinking of Dan's Ambergris oil and that wool absolute, that I ordered from Etsy.

Another thing I'm thinking about is hay eo or abs. I remember it very vividly, that as a child when we had the kitties from gramma's farm over, I always asked my mom "why do they smell like hay?" This was of course because they slept in the hay, so I'm not too sure if adding a hay note would be good.


I'm really curious what notes you guys note in cat fur, so please let me know.

And also feel free to recommend a good vendor for hay eo/absolute. I already have one in sight, but it's rather cheap and I don't know if that's good sign, just thought that hay is not the rarest, most precious resource so we might be OK with cheaper ones?

Thanks a lot in advance for your input!

Blessings
Amberbreens (BreeNee)
 
In my search for cat fur notes I came across fraterworks.com. Is that a trustworthy shop? I know they have mainly synthetics which is not so much up my alley, but everything is quite cheap, even the naturals are quite cheap - too cheap to be true almost.

I read "fraterworks" here sometimes - so is it worth a try?

Blessings
Breens
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
In my search for cat fur notes I came across fraterworks.com. Is that a trustworthy shop? I know they have mainly synthetics which is not so much up my alley, but everything is quite cheap, even the naturals are quite cheap - too cheap to be true almost.

I read "fraterworks" here sometimes - so is it worth a try?

Blessings
Breens
Yea, fraterworks is legit, they are shipping from new zeland. I have lot of materials from there. If you dont mind to pay import duties an wait till the package “travel the globe”, you have multiple big shops also in europe, hermitageoils for example, it depends what are you looking for. Some oils i prefer to buy from small artisan destillers.
 
In my search for cat fur notes I came across fraterworks.com. Is that a trustworthy shop? I know they have mainly synthetics which is not so much up my alley, but everything is quite cheap, even the naturals are quite cheap - too cheap to be true almost.

I read "fraterworks" here sometimes - so is it worth a try?

Blessings
Breens

Fraterworks is legitimate; they have a 4.9 rating on Judge.me, based on more than 2,200 reviews. They also provide compliance statements on the product pages, so you can create your blends and know how they fit in compliance with EU and IFRA regulations if you are so inclined. (Hard to do using all naturals. I don't follow them, but I won't use banned substances in the US either.)

I suggest that your first order be on the smaller side and that you use an American Express card or another credit card that offers fraud protection to its users to start. If all goes well, you can then advance to larger orders.
 
Hi there fellows,

I found that (new?) online shop called pureoud.co.uk - looks not bad (to me as a beginner), prices are almost to good to be true (2ml for ~100$).

Does anyone know this shop/has ordered from there and can tell if it's acceptable quality?

Thanks a lot
Blessings from Germany
Breena
 
Back
Top