Dr. Incense Kalimantan

I noticed that the profile of this stick is
very similar to the sticks I made using Gyokushodo’s Indonesian Kizami no. 425,
it’s likely to be Kalimantan wood also.
 
How would you describe the profile of WOOD from Kalimantan? And is there a specific region of the Island which is sold most often as Kalimantan? Such as Pontianak.
 
What strikes me most about Kalimantan is it’s airiness. For actual notes, I’d have to
re-examine.
Kalimantan covers a large area, I have no clue where within the oudh is traded from.

Update: after trying the Dr.’s and Ken’s Kalimantan sticks, my tired night time
nose seems to smell sweet resin with a little wax, floral…like a honey smelling flower, fruit…like apple and dragon fruit.
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day

Dr.Incense's processed Sri Lanka.

processed(炮製, pinyin: pao zhi) is quite a fascinating subject to talk about.
in traditional oriental(chinese) medicine(TOM, TCM), plants go though pertinent processes in order to used in medicines. pao zhi is that entire process of refining harvested plants.

as the name sugests, Dr utilized pao zhi in making processed Sri Lanka honey. specifically, Yemen Sidr honey. honey is often employeed in pao zhi to harmonizes ingredients and moistens the dryness. Dr may have used honey to add medicinal properties to this incense, but I feel the presencese of the honey in this incense is a bit too strong and interferes the beauty of Sri Lankan oud a bit. however I was able to pick up unmistakably noticable Sri Lankan creamy greeness underneth the sweet, warm honey.
 
Oudamberlove - can you remind me of a ballpark tabu-no-ki powder: sandalwood powder ratio for an extruded stick? I figure if anyone knows, it will be you.
 
Oudamberlove - can you remind me of a ballpark tabu-no-ki powder: sandalwood powder ratio for an extruded stick? I figure if anyone knows, it will be you.
Sandalwood powder burns fairly easily, for my taste, I’d go with 5% (by weight) Tabu-No-Ki powder, and 10% (by weight) Guar Gum. I find that Guar Gum helps with extrusion. Coarsely ground powder is a nightmare, so keep the grind fine.
Also, I don’t recommend clay extruders, pushing the dough through a plate results in rough edged and curly extrusions👎
A channelled spout as with a syringe tip will keep the extruded dough in good shape, that’s why I use an oral syringe, but I put it in a clay extruder so that the pressure will be steady.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Med
Sandalwood powder burns fairly easily, for my taste, I’d go with 5% (by weight) Tabu-No-Ki powder, and 10% (by weight) Guar Gum. I find that Guar Gum helps with extrusion. Coarsely ground powder is a nightmare, so keep the grind fine.
Also, I don’t recommend clay extruders, pushing the dough through a plate results in rough edged and curly extrusions👎
A channelled spout as with a syringe tip will keep the extruded dough in good shape, that’s why I use an oral syringe, but I put it in a clay extruder so that the pressure will be steady.
Thank you.
 
Homemade Philippine Agarwood stick

Using Habzoud sinking Philippine oudh
the scent is no different than the wood itself.
As the ember slowly extinguishes,
I come in closer and closer to smell every last bit…..at this point the temperature is less and it becomes like a Mon-koh session.
 
Baieido Tokusen Kobunboku.

I've been burning this over two years now and it still has more story to tell me.
today I was able to clearly sense its gomi like never before.(五味, five tastes[sweet, bitter, sour spicy salty])
 
Lit an incense after a couple weeks break.

KZ Ryu-Sho

What an incense to start off wit. Got my system overwhelmed.
Potent ambergris blended with some special agarwood, blended extraordinarily.
I found this stick too strong on close sniffs, not in a bad way though. Maybe its the break that I took from incense/wood.
 
Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo

Very glad I got more,
I like it more now, than I did two years ago.
I’d say it’s an acquired taste,
and based on my preference.

So I can’t say it’s a “must buy”.
 
Kunmeido Tokusen Kyara Tenpyo

Very glad I got more,
I like it more now, than I did two years ago.
I’d say it’s an acquired taste,
and based on my preference.

So I can’t say it’s a “must buy”.
I have been tossing around buying more of it (with @BrandonGilbert) It’s a very nice incense—lingers forever for me. It took me 3 sticks to get acclimated to it, but now I’m enjoying it.

Today I burned some of Kens latest stuff while cleaning around the house. The Himalayan creation surprised me. Off the stick I thought I would hate it, but it’s really nice. Not what I expected. Also, the newest Devaradu Timber of the Celestials. Although the Frank seems to almost dominate this series of incense, these are ALL masterful creations. This newest one with Ambergris is a major hit. Last months was excellent and the rose version is next level. So good. I wish I would have bought more of them.
 
Back
Top