What’s that stick like, Dan?
 
Kunmeido Asuka

A noticeable use of Reiryo, which is common with this incense maker, together with a very dry agarwood hit, similar to the dryness of Shoyeido’s Ga-ho.
 
What’s that stick like, Dan?
Go-Un has a very decent play between Sandalwood, Agarwood and Green Oil Kyara ... though the Kyara nuances are limited not like what you experience with higher range like Myo-Ho and Sho-Kaku...

Also this is the last stick in the premium range which has element of Sandalwood present. For me this is a good fumigating incense instead of actually sitting with it and meditating...

I still prefer Myo-Ho over all the premium range incense.



Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
 
A trio from Shunkohdo
Zuika Koh
Yoshino no Haru
Haru no Kaori

The Zuika Koh has a rather gentle aroma of woods and a background of flower. I wonder if the little bit of floral is natural or synthetic.

Yoshino no Haru, is supposed to emulate the smell of spring in Yoshino. It may be there in the background, but the use of Reiryo is obvious.

Haru no Kaori, has a more natural smelling floral in the background. Another spring type scent. I like the agarwood used in this mix, reminds me of a Sweet Vietnamese variety.
 
Reiryoko is an herb used in Japanese incense mixtures.
 
Ahh thanks for that, I dug a little bit on the net, I found two conflicting lines of information. One suggested that Reiryoko is a primula the other suggestion is that it's an apiaceae . Any botanical specifics are greatly appreciated
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dan
Ahh thanks for that, I dug a little bit on the net, I found two conflicting lines of information. One suggested that Reiryoko is a primula the other suggestion is that it's an apiaceae . Any botanical specifics are greatly appreciated
I read that Reiryo is Fenugreek, but another site saying that it is erroneously called Fenugreek, so to play safe I always call it Reiryo🙂
 
Dipping into some seldom used sticks,
I rediscovered the Shunkohdo Haru no Kaori.
I may have to include it in my rotation.

Gentle garden with beautiful sweet aloeswood.
 
That walla patta is really well balanced for sure. It is a very complete fragrance
 
Baieido Kunsho

There’s a little sweetness in this stick, owed to the Cambodian agarwood.

Kenneth Cannata Brunei

Second batch unreleased
Pretty much identical to the first batch.
I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but it leaves a heavier agarwood presence in the air than the first batch.........yummmmmmmmm🙂
 
Last edited:
Gyokushodo Kaze no sho and Kumo no sho

Wind and clouds.
The sticks have a high content of charcoal which makes the agarwood aroma very evident. The Kaze has a bit more herbs, but both are very nice.


Baieido Kokonoe and Horyu

Indonesian and Thai
The agarwood is not upfront, and the flavor is certainly a Baieido Blender’s touch. I can dig the Horyu, along with Kunsho, Kohen, Kyara Kokoh, and Koshiboku.......but I struggle with the Kokonoe and Jinkoh Kokoh....quite a bit of herbs in those sticks.
 
Baieido always seems very restrained with the agarwood. I kind of get a 75%ish common base of herbs / resins with the agarwood or quantity of benzoin kind of separating the various grades.
 
Back
Top