Alsalamualaykum first burn stick from assortments suggested by my Kodo Master Oudamberlove...this stick was an additional sample to the order so gracious of Japanese Incense.
Tokusen Chinsui Aloeswood Tani (Indonesia) Seikado. All I can say is that this stick is very nice warm Oud wood scent..I'm not familiar with the scent of Indonesian Oud Wood...so I can't expound much on the particulars of this wood. A thin stick with a slow burn the stick it self was 6.5" so far a very good start.
 
Baieido Koshiboku
Fired up the long thick stick (24cm)
and the regular thin stick (16cm)

This is the most exaggerated batch difference I ever experienced in Japanese incense sticks.
The thick stick has more of the herb that is most prominent in Jinkoh Kokoh. I struggle to enjoy it as Koshiboku, but I can enjoy it with it’s own merits. Brighter than the original formula, with a little spring season vibe.

The thick stick seemed to burn slower, so I lit both sticks side by side, and confirmed that it does indeed burn slower. Being 24 cm, that’s about the longest burn time for any stick I’ve seen.

Finished with WSG Hainan stick

It’s such a pleasure to experience both types of sticks;
those with added aromatics, and those that are just plain and simple agarwood:Inlove:
 
Guys I bought a pack of Baieido sticks - Rising Scent or Kun Sho. Pictures below. It's really not my cup of tea. Would anyone be interested in trading with me for something? It was $80 at Baieido's USA shop in Cape May, NJ. A place called Good Scents/Sensia - I guess this is their sole US based distributor? I burned one stick. Packaging all still intact.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    ef65d614-1908-4928-9af5-8e30be0fbf85.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Like
Reactions: Dan
Baieido has a distinct and pretty “austere” style in their traditional incense, and I can understand someone not digging it.
 
Sorry - just wanted to bump this one more time before I put it on Ebay. I have a brand new box of Baieido Rising Scent sticks (Tokusen Kunsho) with 1 stick missing - so now 34 instead of 35. All packaging in place, sticks are still wrapped properly. Comes in very nice wooden box. I paid $80 for it but not expecting anything close to that in return. Would much prefer a trade for different sticks (ideally not a blend) or wood or oil. Anyone interested?
 
Shunkohdo Vietnam Kanhoa
and Vietnam Tinh Gia Lai

More than likely plantation agarwood.
The Kanhoa (located close to Nha Trang), has a sweet honeyed aroma, with facets that remind me of Koh Kong, while the Tinh Gia Lai has a sweet fruity floralness.
The burn has quite a bit of wood/binder combustion, the sweet smells ride this cloud, so basically......it’s like gentle heating and fumigation all in one.
 
Seijudo Kyara Horen (Lotus Treasure)

very similar to Kyara Seiran (Heavenly Orchard)
and a bit similar to Enju (Long Life)

Kinam, agarwood, extracts (or oils??), and more.
One theme with slight variations in thin sticks.

I kept toggling between Horen and Seiran....
back and forth, till I saw that Seiran has more clove, and I think that Horen uses Benzoin.


Finished with Baieido Kyara Kokoh
pretty good stuff:Inlove:
 
Shunkohdo Ranjatai new batch (just this week)
versus old batch (5 years old)

I’m happy to report that there is no batch variation🙂

So from bare bones woodiness onto a blend of aromatics and wood....Shoyeido Ga-ho
I should light it more often.....
 
Looks lovely.
 
Back
Top