Tennendo Karafune Kahin Gold,

I just recently included this stick into my rotation.
The agarwood is very nice in this stick...
for my taste...
The usual Tennendo signature pops up too,
it seems spring and blossoms is a popular profile for some blenders. The prominent aromatic is still one I can’t name, even though I smelled it in many different sticks, you see.....I am guilty of not having experienced many of the basic incense ingredients. I hope to one one day purchase a bunch, and familiarize myself with each one.
Boy oh boy, I’ve been on a scent journey for so long and it seems that there is no end in sight:Roflmao::Roflmao:
 
Your reflections on your collection are fantastic. I always look forward to seeing them so here’s hoping your journey is at its very beginning!
 
Off to the Tibetan Medical College.....

Holy Land
When researching it’s ingredients, there are conflicting results, so rather than stumble on what’s inside, I will comment on the experience.

Generous aroma emanating from the stick, even if you are not in the path of the smoke. A little sweet and earthy, almost fruity. A barny or musky component that adds a level of complexity (In my case, perplexity, because I wish I knew the recipe).
 
Sandalwoods

Seikado Solitude
sandalwood, cinnamon, and something pretty like a vintage perfumed talcum powder.

Tennendo Kohrokan
straight up sandalwood with some creaminess

Daihatsu (stick)
sandalwood with a little sweetness...almost fruity


Then I needed to re-align my agarwood senses
so out comes green oil kyara, with a group of supporting cast members. Shoyeido Sho-Kaku🙂
 
Ran through a few Shoyeido Premiums in ascending order.

Pride of Kyoto
surprisingly smooth aroma versus binder
like a cross between Southern Wind and Refinement
gentle use of aromatics,
with a touch of spring (benzoin perhaps?)

Gentle Smile
still a smooth stick, and medium strength aromatics no spring time vibe,
and tending towards more dry agarwood like Refinement

Refinement
more agarwood! more aroma!
not as smooth as the other two
similar to Gentle Smile with a touch of brightness
(maybe it’s the clove?)

Infinity
more aroma than the others, more spices,
plus Kyara
altogether they drown out any agarwood inside
 
Shunkohdo Vietnam Kanhoa

After trying several Vietnamese sticks and chips,
I can see how this stick is a pretty good one,
nice Vietnamese agarwood, nothing much else.

@around $4 a stick, it’s not guiltless:Cooler:
 
My Incense journey so far..I love sandalwood from Minoraien and there Frankincense sticks, I'm holding off on the Kyara sticks. My journey in to Tibetan incense have left me with a new love, I just love Holy Land, Mindroling and Lotus Ground. I also picked up some Bhutanese Incense as well, "Specially made for Paro Kushoo HRH Prince Namgyal Wangchuk" the ingredients for this is as follows...Aquilarial malaccensis, Gentiana crassoloides, Terminalia belirica, Terminalia chedula, Juniperusrecuria, Cupressus cashmeriana and Cupressus comeynna. This incense has a very relaxing scent. And Bhutanese Mindroling I fine that this smells the same as the Tibetan Mindroling but stronger.
 
My Incense journey so far..I love sandalwood from Minoraien and there Frankincense sticks, I'm holding off on the Kyara sticks. My journey in to Tibetan incense have left me with a new love, I just love Holy Land, Mindroling and Lotus Ground. I also picked up some Bhutanese Incense as well, "Specially made for Paro Kushoo HRH Prince Namgyal Wangchuk" the ingredients for this is as follows...Aquilarial malaccensis, Gentiana crassoloides, Terminalia belirica, Terminalia chedula, Juniperusrecuria, Cupressus cashmeriana and Cupressus comeynna. This incense has a very relaxing scent. And Bhutanese Mindroling I fine that this smells the same as the Tibetan Mindroling but stronger.
I prefer Kyara by itself mainly, and not in blends, although there are some nice sticks with Kyara in their name.
There are many fine incense sticks outside of the ones with Kyara, and many nice modestly price sticks also with decent agarwood in them.

Therefore, incense exploration can be done at all price levels:Thumbsup:
 
Revisited Kyukyodo Murasakino

Lots of perfume, but good enough agarwood to nearly match it.
Elements of musk and ambergris, but are they animal or plant based?, not sure.
 
Back
Top