Baieido Koshiboku

I still don’t know exactly why this stick captivates me😕


Here is a paragraph from Kyarazen’s article
“How to blend incense”:

Food for thought, Baieido’s core formula for their premium incense series, i.e. Koshiboku, Koh-en etc, is a 9 component formula of : Aloeswood (or kyara), Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Camphor, Spikenard, Star Anise, Patchouli, Costus root and Clove. Do you think this formula follows that of a 1:3:5 mixture? Well, it is debatable, but it is definitely clear, there is definitely only one monarch, the lovely aloeswood or kyara, and if you have burnt these incenses before, you may speculate that sandalwood, cinnamon and camphor to be ministers
 
1. Santal Powder, Mastic, Oud
2. Kneaded Incense Ball

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
Canata Brunei

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Haha - I'm doing this too, now that I ordered more today at his release I'm feeling more relaxed about burning my final stick... Really dig this scent. I think there's some charcoal mixed it which has it burning a touch hotter and faster than some other sticks. Also noticeably more smoke than I get with say RPP's agarwood sticks. Not in a bad way, just something I've noticed. I like that these sticks have agarwood front and center - some agarwood sticks unfortunately (even when it's the only ingredient + binder) still don't give the same umph as wood on electric. These do - it's not "flat" as RPP would say 🙂
 
Haha - I'm doing this too, now that I ordered more today at his release I'm feeling more relaxed about burning my final stick... Really dig this scent. I think there's some charcoal mixed it which has it burning a touch hotter and faster than some other sticks. Also noticeably more smoke than I get with say RPP's agarwood sticks. Not in a bad way, just something I've noticed. I like that these sticks have agarwood front and center - some agarwood sticks unfortunately (even when it's the only ingredient + binder) still don't give the same umph as wood on electric. These do - it's not "flat" as RPP would say 🙂
Completely get what you wrote ... this is something which can be used to fumigate a small space ... his new collection I'm looking forward to is Brunei+Rose stick should be interesting....



Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
 
KZ Tonga Sandalroot

If you told me they were Mysore, I’d believe it.
At room temperature very sandalicious aromatic.
Less floral and more woody than true Mysore,
but a real delight.

KZ Manaban Al Malik
Reminds me a little bit of Tarakan, but less top notes.
KZ Merauke Premium
I have a difficult time smelling the Filaria, but it does smell Papua-ish.

Both of those agarwood sticks have a subtle
profile, but do feel like incense grade.
Not very fumigating, but can be for deeper reflection.
 
Holy land incense by Tibetan medical college
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


Impression
It’s the middle of the countryside farm. there are horse barn, dried hay, a big pile of firewoods. there are some molds growing on firewoods. a chunk of juniper tree firewood and wormwood is burning on a bonfire. there are a few wildflowers growing on the side of the barn giving off the subtle sweetness.

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


Thought

Wow. this is not what I expected to smell from incense. this is so wild, animalic, barnyard, woody. so much thing is going on here. it's mysterious and deep. what a journey! this is nothing like any other incense I've ever experienced.

my HL is 6/19/2019 batch
 
Last edited:
Baieido Kokonoe

At Japan Incense, I read that Aloeswood from Kalimantan was used in this stick.

As for the aroma, it conjures my imagination,
I get a unique and exotic feel.

......always a pleasure to study the Baieido Premium line, I think it’s real neat that each one
in the series features different regions of agarwood.

I am glad to have older batches
although my Koshibokus are newer batches
.....but still good.

Topped the session with IO Walla Patta sticks

Nice top notes, preserved by the method used to make the sticks (likely that the wood was not simmered in water with honey).

when these sticks are no longer available
it will be a case of coulda shoulda woulda:Roflmao:
 
Last edited:
Shunkohdo Haru No Kaori

Reminds me of Kohgen’s Jinkai
a rare agarwood with fruity notes.
In Haru No Kaori, aside from a little fruitiness,
the natural resins bring about the notes
of spring time blossoms.
 
Kida Jinseido Hanakokonoe

agarwood and sandalwood with bitterness
and a mild use of aromatics
thin stick, small smoke
but big on pleasure

I acquired the last two boxes from a prior batch
at Japan Incense, any current stock of this stick
will be a newer batch.
 
hmm I notice we have this thread and burn of the day/night. I wonder if the 'burn of the day' could absorb all these posts

I am burning Rising Phoenix's Viet & Mysore incense together, filling the room with a fantastic combo of oud and sandalwood. JK and I burned many of the oud ones back in London in March in the hotel room and it was great 🙂
 
Back
Top