Today's coil is called Zen-Pin Hoi-An Agar.
Pretty bland to be honest. Best description would be lightly perfumed burnt wood. 1 out of 5.
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
Today's coil is called Zen-Pin Hoi-An Agar.
Pretty bland to be honest. Best description would be lightly perfumed burnt wood. 1 out of 5.View attachment 48814
Yeah that's not sounding too good. "Lightly perfumed burnt wood" for some reason sounds worse than just plain burnt wood
 
So, I've now tried all three of Minorien's Kyara, agarwood and sandalwood sticks and I don't think they're for me. Reading up on them from Olfactory Rescue service and I'm not surprised although the author likes them quite a bit. It seems they have drastically changed the recipes at some point in the past. I have not smelled real wild kyara before but I simply cannot imagine that this is what it does smell like. It's just perfume.. that's it. And not particularly nice perfume either. The agarwood sticks were much the same just toned down a bit. I couldn't find the famous "wet" note either. The sandalwood sticks were the best of the lot. I'll continue to burn these until finished but I don't like them enough to buy more. I can make my own sandalwood sticks which I enjoy much more. Once I'd gone through all three, I lit up one of Professor Incense - Oman frankincense and agarwood and my partner immediately said "Oh! I like that one, what is it?" Much, much better. The blend of frankincense and agarwood is spot on. You're never smelling one or the other but a wonderful harmony of the two.
 
So, I've now tried all three of Minorien's Kyara, agarwood and sandalwood sticks and I don't think they're for me. Reading up on them from Olfactory Rescue service and I'm not surprised although the author likes them quite a bit. It seems they have drastically changed the recipes at some point in the past. I have not smelled real wild kyara before but I simply cannot imagine that this is what it does smell like. It's just perfume.. that's it. And not particularly nice perfume either. The agarwood sticks were much the same just toned down a bit. I couldn't find the famous "wet" note either. The sandalwood sticks were the best of the lot. I'll continue to burn these until finished but I don't like them enough to buy more. I can make my own sandalwood sticks which I enjoy much more. Once I'd gone through all three, I lit up one of Professor Incense - Oman frankincense and agarwood and my partner immediately said "Oh! I like that one, what is it?" Much, much better. The blend of frankincense and agarwood is spot on. You're never smelling one or the other but a wonderful harmony of the two.
Not just any agarwood either in those Prof. Incense sticks, but Nha Trang!
 
Not just any agarwood either in those Prof. Incense sticks, but Nha Trang!
And that is quite evident. That famous vanilla rides on the back of the spicy citrus of the frankincense. Re the Minorien's. I realise this is a first impression for me and I'll give all three another listen just to double check.
 
And that is quite evident. That famous vanilla rides on the back of the spicy citrus of the frankincense. Re the Minorien's. I realise this is a first impression for me and I'll give all three another listen just to double check.
nice that you are listening to incense and not just smelling it. I bought mine about 8 years ago, but I find them very pleasant. For the price, I figured they were either not real agarwood or of low quality or perfumed, and I, too, wouldn't buy another box of any of them. But they are still nice for me.
 
nice that you are listening to incense and not just smelling it. I bought mine about 8 years ago, but I find them very pleasant. For the price, I figured they were either not real agarwood or of low quality or perfumed, and I, too, wouldn't buy another box of any of them. But they are still nice for me.
I think that is the difference here. You've got an older batch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Manaban - {Shadowy Japan Super-dealer}

I start at 80 degrees on the ceramic burner, and nothing. A switch it up slowly reaching temps of 160-170 and from afar there is a sharp sour note. Bringing the incensor closer, I’m getting earthy slightly buttery herbal notes. The area surrounding the incensor begins to fill with the sour scent, and then the room. Nice.

Oil begins to release at higher temps. Ooh so lovely. A bit of oil starts to imprint the incensor. And create a more tree-like scent in the room.
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
Kangiiten - Dreams of Chen-La. This is a very simple incense, made to highlight the scent of Cambodia. Very sweet. If someone were to ask me what does agarwood smell like without getting into all the nuances, this is the stick I'd reach for.
 
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
So happy finally find this scent, it took me more than 1 year of trying several perfumes, at the end its not a perfume but anointed incense, known as Zuko from Yamadatsu.
Zuko / Nuri.
Zukou is the practice of burning incense on Buddha statues or practitioners' bodies to purge them of impurities.
It also refers to the actual incense.
Incense is referred to as powdered incense when it is ground into a fine powder. Specifically, "nuko" refers to the powdered incense that is applied to the hands and neck to cleanse the body prior to prayer.
Originally used in ancient times to get rid of body odor, this type of incense has since evolved to mean cleansing the body, mouth, and mind.

Lovely mild aroma of fresh incense sticks, slightly medicinal, sour and sweet. Its nice new experience to wear incense instead of burning it.
 
Thinking more on Dreams of Chen-La. As I said, these are pretty simple, non complex sticks. They're good, I like them but without really knowing the source material (other than good quality Cambodian) I feel these would serve better as a daily. Nothing wrong with that. However, if I wanted a daily Cambodian I would be better off spending a little more and just get the daily Cambodians. 25g of those would last quite a while. Considering Eight Millenniums as my next purchase.
 
Shoyeido - Genroku coil. I'm not sure what I think of these? I really like the sticks..lots of room filling scent but the sticks are quite short ( and thick ) so I'm often left wanting more, more is good right? I've now got these as a coil and they burn for a good couple of hours. A whole coil is too much. Maybe in a larger room in might work having something this strong burning for that length of time. Beautiful scent though.
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
Hello Ouddict brothers, this is my first message here, so nice to meet you and thanks for all the valuable information shared on this forum. The ambiance is also very friendly and you have built a wonderful community !

I am burning some nice green royal Hojari that I got from a vendor based in Oman.

I'm also infusing some in water or chewing them.

Perfect with some myrrh, but I actually prefer it alone, the scent spectrum is so deep and multi-layered (specifically when playing with the temperature on a electric burner !)

By the way, I just put an order from Apothecary's Garden to try some others and less known (to me) Frankincense types.

Wishing you all a great week-end !
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    Hojari.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 72
Beautiful frankincense you got there! Welcome! 🙂
 
Hello Ouddict brothers, this is my first message here, so nice to meet you and thanks for all the valuable information shared on this forum. The ambiance is also very friendly and you have built a wonderful community !

I am burning some nice green royal Hojari that I got from a vendor based in Oman.

I'm also infusing some in water or chewing them.

Perfect with some myrrh, but I actually prefer it alone, the scent spectrum is so deep and multi-layered (specifically when playing with the temperature on a electric burner !)

By the way, I just put an order from Apothecary's Garden to try some others and less known (to me) Frankincense types.

Wishing you all a great week-end !
I’ve purchased almost every resin AG sells in their shop; all great quality, and Dan is a wealth of information. You won’t be disappointed.
 
Back
Top