Folks, I've been doing a bit of research into Japanese incense, looking for something decent and natural to burn without guilt. The two experiences I've had with the Japanese incense houses were terrible, but I've put some time into studying what people are saying about what's available today ie., did it get reformulated into a stick of adulterated garbage or is it still good...

That said, I think I've narrowed down a blend: Kida Jinseido's Ikuhokoh

Does anyone have experience purchasing this one recently? $85 for 140 sticks from Japanincense.com seems like a good deal if they're somewhat comparable to even the lower ends of what the indy incense artisans are selling.
I bought Ikuhokoh from Japan Incense twice, once 5 years ago, then 4 years ago. The two batches seem identical. I just lit some right now, nice agarwoodcentric aroma, with a balanced blend of aromatics, nothing showy, very reserve, if anything, the bitterness of the chen pi comes through. I’m surprised why I don’t light it more often.

This is what Kyarazen said about Ikuhoko on his Instagram:

“Being an artisanal incense maker does not mean the world only revolves around what you create, but instead you have to learn to see the beauty on the creation of others and the heritage their incense carry within them.”

“To many this might just be another japanese incense... but to me.. this incense used a few of the more difficult ingredients that are not easy to handle, and artfully combined into a very quiet stick. No synthetics,and uncommon scent profile.”
 
Thinking of getting a sample set which contains one stick each of Yamadamatsu - Hojo. The description says these are kyara. Do they use genuine kyara or will they be an oil dipped perfume stick?
 
Kikujudo Byakudan - India, This has grown on me very well. Mysore sandalwood, with a blend of of some agarwood I feel. It has that creamy / lactic note but a bit on the darker side. Also spicy and slightly bitter.

I sometimes prefer this over my minorien.

What is your go to sandalwood?
 
Thinking of getting a sample set which contains one stick each of Yamadamatsu - Hojo. The description says these are kyara. Do they use genuine kyara or will they be an oil dipped perfume stick?
There's a good thread on some of their offerings you can read from the past, not sure it'll have an answer for your specific question but I sorta helped me push down these sticks lower in terms of what I wanted to get next (this was back in the day)
 
Thinking of getting a sample set which contains one stick each of Yamadamatsu - Hojo. The description says these are kyara. Do they use genuine kyara or will they be an oil dipped perfume stick?
I just received a sample of Hojo Red today, I am guessing that it contains some real kyara (a very tiny amount if any) and kyara type aromatics as well. I like this current batch as much as my old batch, and will proceed to a full box. Funny thing is I never tried the white or green label. I will ask Kotaro for a sample of each in my next order.
 
Last edited:
Received more sticks today.

Seijudo Shogetsu
Nice and in line with the whole series.
I can’t commit to a favorite,
all seven are wonderful to me.

Yamadamatsu Ouju
Better than my old sample in that the benzoin is lessened, time for a whole box!
I am getting a full new box of Ouju too. ☺️
 
on scale of 1-10, how smilar it is to Shokaku brother?
It is hard to compare incense and parfum. But it gives a similar vibe at a fraction of the cost, definitely does not have real kyara, but satori san has worked very well to create a mix that is very enjoyable and wholesome, similar to how you feel with shokaku.
 
Kangiiten - Rippling Orris. Thought I'd try the TCM series again even though I didn't like the first one. I'm finding this one not much better. Really, some lovely ingredients but some herbs are just not meant to be burnt. All I get from it is acrid, burning green matter.
 
Back
Top