It's like saying that you'd heard about these amazing apples so you bought some but because they didn't taste like oranges you don't like them.
respectfully i would disagree- it’s not like that.

if i’ve been eating apples of all varieties for a decade (stick incense which is by definition meant to be lit on fire as a stick) and have a palette for all kinds of apples and i sample a new apple that turns out to be better appreciated as an orange (on a subitism), i think that is a valid reason to feel a little confused and like they received a subpar apple- which would be true to how the product is sold (as an apple and not an orange-sticks are inherently for lighting o fire directly as opposed to a powdered blend or pure chips).

the fact that i’m not alone in this experience on this forum speaks to the validity of this subjective viewpoint (more than one person doesn’t like buying apples that are actually oranges, unsurprisingly). sometimes creating an analogy provides not much real value to a conversation that is complex enough as it is.

as a long time consumer of stick incense i feel qualified enough to say if a stick is or is not good to my palette when lit on fire based on if its fragrant or not at minimum- which seems a perfectly reasonable way to judge the apple (stick incense) i purchased.

i’ll definitely try it on my subitism, yet i would not intentionally purchase a stick incense meant for a subitism- i would rather buy pure raw material or a powdered blend in that case. which sure makes sense- that i’d prefer to buy oranges as oranges and apples as apples you might say.
 
respectfully i would disagree- it’s not like that.

if i’ve been eating apples of all varieties for a decade (stick incense which is by definition meant to be lit on fire as a stick) and have a palette for all kinds of apples and i sample a new apple that turns out to be better appreciated as an orange (on a subitism), i think that is a valid reason to feel a little confused and like they received a subpar apple- which would be true to how the product is sold (as an apple and not an orange-sticks are inherently for lighting o fire directly as opposed to a powdered blend or pure chips).

the fact that i’m not alone in this experience on this forum speaks to the validity of this subjective viewpoint (more than one person doesn’t like buying apples that are actually oranges, unsurprisingly). sometimes creating an analogy provides not much real value to a conversation that is complex enough as it is.

as a long time consumer of stick incense i feel qualified enough to say if a stick is or is not good to my palette when lit on fire based on if its fragrant or not at minimum- which seems a perfectly reasonable way to judge the apple (stick incense) i purchased.

i’ll definitely try it on my subitism, yet i would not intentionally purchase a stick incense meant for a subitism- i would rather buy pure raw material or a powdered blend in that case. which sure makes sense- that i’d prefer to buy oranges as oranges and apples as apples you might say.
Maybe give one of his blended material sticks a go and you'll find them more in line of Shoyeido etc. I think sticks like Samadhi or Eight Milleniums is more of what you're after. As I said, I find those you mentioned really quite strong when being burnt and they smell to me as they're supposed to. But yeah.. they're never going to smell like a Shoyeido stick.
 
More than one person agreeing on not liking a product isn't a consensus. I agree with you, I've had some issues with a couple of his products but I'm also aware that they're natural products and they will never be uniform.
 
Maybe give one of his blended material sticks a go and you'll find them more in line of Shoyeido etc. I think sticks like Samadhi or Eight Milleniums is more of what you're after. As I said, I find those you mentioned really quite strong when being burnt and they smell to me as they're supposed to. But yeah.. they're never going to smell like a Shoyeido stick.
i have smelled pure extruded/makko sticks from other vendors that i find more fragrant as well- whether that is from any of the extrusion processes noted above i couldn’t say.
 
More than one person agreeing on not liking a product isn't a consensus. I agree with you, I've had some issues with a couple of his products but I'm also aware that they're natural products and they will never be uniform.
i never said it was consensus and it wasn’t my intention to claim that at all. i said it is a valid viewpoint to have as a consumer of stick incense, its fine if theyre better on subitism but i wish it was just made more explicit from the jump then.
 
i never said it was consensus and it wasn’t my intention to claim that at all. i said it is a valid viewpoint to have as a consumer of stick incense, its fine if theyre better on subitism but i wish it was just made more explicit from the jump then.
You'll often read in KZ's descriptions that something or other is Monkoh grade. This is what he means when something is quiet and has to be listened to rather than fumigate for example. Dreams of Merauke for example is one of the most stunning incense sticks I've ever had my nose on but when I light it, I generally keep it close to me while enjoying a coffee so the smoke goes in front of my face. Any further away would be a waste. Others of his I can't do that or I'd end up with a headache.
 
You'll often read in KZ's descriptions that something or other is Monkoh grade. This is what he means when something is quiet and has to be listened to rather than fumigate for example. Dreams of Merauke for example is one of the most stunning incense sticks I've ever had my nose on but when I light it, I generally keep it close to me while enjoying a coffee so the smoke goes in front of my face. Any further away would be a waste. Others of his I can't do that or I'd end up with a headache.
i appreciate the feedback. i will try closer up sessions as well as the subitism and see how it goes
 
Sorry if I offended mate, as an Australian we tend not to be backwards in coming forwards so it can come across as being a bit blunt. 🙏
appreciate you making the effort, initially i did feel a bit attacked about it but ultimately your feedback was helpful and am grateful we came to a sort of middle ground of understanding 🤝

here’s to hoping i can find ways to appreciate these sticks more.
 
Started with KZ Jianfeng Peak, then Baieido Jinkoh Kokoh, then Shunkohdo Kyara Houzan, then Seijudo Enju, then Shoyeido Shokaku….,
All the while searching for something to match my current taste, then when I lit Shoyeido Gaho,
it was Ding! Ding! Ding!
The bells rang, a smile painted my face, and the sigh of satisfaction ensued😊
Sometimes it’s like a certain stick hits the spot, and that could change from day to day, that’s why I appreciate having a collection.
 
Last edited:
Kunmeido Kyara Tenpyo

Heady, robust, herbs and spice, kyara and agarwood, a bit of vanilla and combustion notes.
Good stuff!

Then Wu Shuang Ge Baina

Purely agarwoods, mainly Tarakan, then I’m not sure what other regions, but supposedly has some Nha Trang. As with pure agarwood sticks, not robustly aromatic, and quite smokey, it’s like a Japanese stick stripped bare, so the experience is vastly a different sort, more of an appreciation of agarwood than anything else.
 
I fear I need to go out and source other high end Bakhoors now just to compare.
🙂
Ya know, I tried that…and finding Bakhoor of that calibre elsewhere has simply not been possible for me so far, at least not in Europe. I guess in the GCC/Arab countries they might have something to compare. Found some promising stuff that looked the business but it ended up just smelling of egregious aromachemicals.

Had some good recommendations for ASO’s bakhoor, but never tried it.

PS why does bakhoor autocorrect to ‘manhood’ 🤣
 
Ya know, I tried that…and finding Bakhoor of that calibre elsewhere has simply not been possible for me so far, at least not in Europe. I guess in the GCC/Arab countries they might have something to compare. Found some promising stuff that looked the business but it ended up just smelling of egregious aromachemicals.

Had some good recommendations for ASO’s bakhoor, but never tried it.

PS why does bakhoor autocorrect to ‘manhood’ 🤣
Indeed. Let the search begin.

For the Bakhoor that is 😜
 
From Nippon Kodo - KAYURAGI - ASSORTMENT OF 7 WOODY & EARTHY FRAGRANCES
and JINKOH JUZAN
The ambient scent put me off of all immediately. The KAYURAGI too powerful. Soapy. I suspect DPL or DPG. They are tolerable outdoors.
The Jinkoh Juzan away from the Kayuragi which I can smell nestled inside their boxes from across the room, are fine, IE ok.
I might consider donating or using for drawers. Does anybody else do that? Incense sticks instead of sachets?
 
Last edited:
From Nippon Kodo - KAYURAGI - ASSORTMENT OF 7 WOODY & EARTHY FRAGRANCES
and JINKOH JUZAN
The ambient scent put me off of all immediately. It was too powerful. Soapy. I suspect DPL. They are tolerable outdoors.
I have smelled these soapy sticks, the Japanese garden near where I used to live used to carry them. Definitely intended for people used to a more perfume oriented aesthetic. I've never smelled the fine specimens from this company however
 
Back
Top