Sound good, but what is makko?


Today I simply use labdanum resin. Simple, but it has a deep and complex smell
makko is a mild smelling powder that can be used as a binder to hold powdered wood together. It is often mostly made out of the bark of a tree called tabu no ki, but may have other small amounts of aromatic materials added depending on the origin.
 
From ESPRIT DEL NATURE (Be En Foret) ~ The Perfumes of Pachama

Intoxicating. On low heat chamomile and sweetgrass. Sometimes cinnamon. Yes to the anise. I recognize my childhood. the first scents that called my name.​

The actual ingredients are: Black and White Copal resins, Breuzinho resin, Tagetes Lucida flowers and leaves, Palo Santo wood, Nicotiana leaves, Datura flowers bound with Organic Honey and Figs soaked in Red Wine.
 
Starting on my Yamadamatsu - Shuju sample set. First up is Shuju Rakoku. Immediately upon lighting, this stick smells like genuine jinkowood. Not a synthetic aroma chemical interpretation of, which I am very happy about. I think I'm finally getting the hang of reading between the lines of incense descriptions. Definitely has bitter notes coupled with sweet and sour. Pretty nice.
 
One of my favorite aromas
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_1716.webp
    215.8 KB · Views: 0
It’s 30° Celsius here in our tiny, AC-less English house, but I’m making the most of it. Got some crumbs from the gorgeous honey agarwood sticks I picked up at Yu Xiang Tang in Taipei on the ceramic heater. The breeze from the open window is helping to spread the thick, sweet, oudy aroma around. Makes me think of cinnamon buns, for some reason.

I’m also swilling good-quality Taiwanese high-mountain oolong tea from a mug, which is helping to keep me cool somehow.

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
 
Back
Top