I find myself simply alternating between Yamadamatsu Hojo White and Green. Just the perfect elegant scent profiles for me - and importantly - the wife!

Question to the regulars to this thread… does anyone know of other sticks that might go in this elegant perfumed direction? Would love to try things others may have come across in this ball park. 🙏🤝🤞
Some to consider exploring……
Yamadamatsu Hojo Red
Shoyeido Gaho and Nankun
Kyukyodo Murasakino
However…..
I can’t guarantee that you will like them.
 
Some to consider exploring……
Yamadamatsu Hojo Red
Shoyeido Gaho and Nankun
Kyukyodo Murasakino
However…..
I can’t guarantee that you will like them.
Thanks! I found hojo red similar to actual wood on the sub - but only had one stick to go on.

Gaho and Nankun are lovely.

I have been eyeing Murasakino and Kinshikoh for a while - such a shame there is no sampler…
 
Thanks! I found hojo red similar to actual wood on the sub - but only had one stick to go on.

Gaho and Nankun are lovely.

I have been eyeing Murasakino and Kinshikoh for a while - such a shame there is no sampler…
Have you tried any of the Horin range from Shoyeido? Muromachi (City of Culture) & Genroku (Returning Spirit) are my two favourites. I always make sure to have some of those in the house. Very short fat sticks but they fill a room easily. Quite a few more in that line also.
 
Two new incenses from Kangiiten yesterday and I'm very impressed by them both. Hakusui & Interweave. Burning Hakasui first, the notes immediately brought to mind sweet, dehydrated pineapples. These sticks are made from a Vietnamese aloeswood from Khánh Hòa. Spicy and peppery up close but also sweet and green in the settling smoke. These are lovely. I'll most likely go through this box quickly.
 
Have you tried any of the Horin range from Shoyeido? Muromachi (City of Culture) & Genroku (Returning Spirit) are my two favourites. I always make sure to have some of those in the house. Very short fat sticks but they fill a room easily. Quite a few more in that line also.
I liked Tenpyo a lot, like enough to spend $15 a coil, but the newer stuff (like a few years ago new) just isn’t the same. Luckily Ihave an old box of Tenpyo of sticks that I burn every once in a while.

Currently, I am enjoying Sho ran Koh aka Laughing Orchid. It’s a little subtle for my taste, but boy is it good stuff. A delicate aloeswood drifts subtly through the room. I can appreciate it. It has herbs in it, so if you’re excepting a pure aloeswood/agarwood you’re out of luck. It’s made by Kyukyodo (about 350 years old as a pharmacy, like so many others, but “only” started making incense in the early 1700’s), and it’s the only one burned in the Imperial Palace in Kyoto. I ought mine from Wa-no, a steal.
 
I liked Tenpyo a lot, like enough to spend $15 a coil, but the newer stuff (like a few years ago new) just isn’t the same. Luckily Ihave an old box of Tenpyo of sticks that I burn every once in a while.

Currently, I am enjoying Sho ran Koh aka Laughing Orchid. It’s a little subtle for my taste, but boy is it good stuff. A delicate aloeswood drifts subtly through the room. I can appreciate it. It has herbs in it, so if you’re excepting a pure aloeswood/agarwood you’re out of luck. It’s made by Kyukyodo (about 350 years old as a pharmacy, like so many others, but “only” started making incense in the early 1700’s), and it’s the only one burned in the Imperial Palace in Kyoto. I ought mine from Wa-no, a steal.
Yes, I have heard about the change in ingredients for Tenpyo. It's disappointing. I had a box of those brought back for me from Japan but unlike the other two I mentioned I could barely smell it from the other side of the room (and our lounge isn't big). Up close they smell great. I haven't given up on them yet though. I'm going to try Tenpyo in coil form at some stage which should be a better experience.
 
Kangiiten - Interweave. These are another banger from Kangiiten. These sticks really sing. A combo of premium Nha Trang agarwood and Hainan Sinensis. Processed using a very unique technique to highlight both woods. " The defining soul of this blend lies in the historic Interweave Technique, a proprietary KZ method of raw material preparation. Rather than pulverizing the two distinct woods into a uniform, homogenous dust, the Hainan and Nha Trang materials are processed at two entirely different architectural dimensions: one origin is ground into a microscopic, ultra-fine flour to form a slow-burning physical foundation, while the other is precisely hand-shaved into elongated, fibrous macro-splinters. As the ember travels down these shifting structural zones, the combustion speeds and micro-temperatures constantly fluctuate. The result is a highly kinetic burn where the steady, background notes of one origin are seamlessly interlaced with sudden, dramatic bursts of pure resin vapor from the other." I've not ever heard of this process before and it sounds to be quite laborious but the results speak for themselves.
 
Kangiiten - Interweave. These are another banger from Kangiiten. These sticks really sing. A combo of premium Nha Trang agarwood and Hainan Sinensis. Processed using a very unique technique to highlight both woods. " The defining soul of this blend lies in the historic Interweave Technique, a proprietary KZ method of raw material preparation. Rather than pulverizing the two distinct woods into a uniform, homogenous dust, the Hainan and Nha Trang materials are processed at two entirely different architectural dimensions: one origin is ground into a microscopic, ultra-fine flour to form a slow-burning physical foundation, while the other is precisely hand-shaved into elongated, fibrous macro-splinters. As the ember travels down these shifting structural zones, the combustion speeds and micro-temperatures constantly fluctuate. The result is a highly kinetic burn where the steady, background notes of one origin are seamlessly interlaced with sudden, dramatic bursts of pure resin vapor from the other." I've not ever heard of this process before and it sounds to be quite laborious but the results speak for themselves.
Huh, I’ve never read about this process either that I can recall, and I have a couple of books on Japanese incense too, as well as the fragrance culture in Japan. It sounds really interesting. I’d like to try it.

Right now I’m burning a stick of Kito-Tenkundo’s Kunrin. I only burned one other stick today, already forgot that one, but this is impressive. I’ve seen it’s really expensive at most stores in the US, so I bought my box from Wa-No-Kaori Incense directly from Kyoto for about $70 cheaper, tarrifs and shipping included, than the price I mostly see it for. It’s lovely, leans a tad on the woody-floral side, not in an old-fashion perfumery way, but brighter, focusing on the interface equality of what I imagine real Kyara has. Great stuff. Glad I got a box, but I like the good quality aloeswood in the same brand’s Oimatsu better. I haven’t seen Oimatsu here online in the US, just found it when browsing Wa No’s site.
 
Khanh Hoa White QiNan, sold as Titan Tier and Competition Grade. A beautiful hand rolled Kinam incense. Very cooling with slight medicinal lift. Subtle terpentine notes. Vanillas and red fruits. I can’t wait to try it in the subi.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_1930.webp
    166.8 KB · Views: 0
This is a good granulated blend. Like their old style incense there might be SOME amount of Kyra’s in it, but considering what I paid for it if there is any real Kara wood, it’s minor. However, it does warm up very nicely and two pinches is plenty to scent a small bedroom with the A/C running all the time. 😂
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_0046.webp
    130.2 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
    IMG_0047.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
I had no idea Minorien produced a granulated version of their Fu-In range!
What country is your shipping address? Judging from the label, I got mine, many years ago, from japaincense.com but I don’t know if they make them any longer. Still, the best granulated incenses are from Shoyeido, the vicarage ones. Lucky I stocked up on them before they changed formulas.
 
Have you tried any of the Horin range from Shoyeido?
I prefer the sandalwood options in that range; I'm really not a fan of that sour-acrid note you get from burning low-mid grade adarwood. Most of Shoyeido's premiums have this note in spades too. I do find that humidity helps a lot though; the fragrance is much improved IMO when having a hot bath.

Unfortunately most of the agarwood incense I like is priced for people in a different tax bracket. You really do need some dank stuff for it to perform well in a combustible. That said, I do enjoy Shoyeido's Friend of Pine, Baieido's Tokusen Kobunboku, Kunmeido's Shin Tokusen Reiryokoh, and just about everything in Yamadamatsu's premium line.
 
What country is your shipping address? Judging from the label, I got mine, many years ago, from japaincense.com but I don’t know if they make them any longer. Still, the best granulated incenses are from Shoyeido, the vicarage ones. Lucky I stocked up on them before they changed formulas.
The US. I usually buy from Kikoh. I've never tried any of Shoyeido's granulated incense either; I may have to change that!
 
The US. I usually buy from Kikoh. I've never tried any of Shoyeido's granulated incense either; I may have to change that!
I like their second teir the most, Purple Clouds I think it's called? It's in the orange box. It's sweet, dense, and agarwoodish as hell. I used to like The Rapture the most. That was agar bliss, but they changed the formula, and lowered the price, so I'd skip it unless you can get your hands on the vintage stuff. But it was incredible. Just as aromatic and woody and ethereal as the incense, Tenpyo. Also, no longer for both. The quality has gone but the affordablity has gone up. I don't know if Kikoh, which he's a great writ4er4 and all, but his site is very expensive, I don't know if they have any of the Shoyeido granulated incenses. I know that japanincense.com used too. You should ask if their stock of The Rapture is older or newer. Price might be a bit of a pointer. The old stuff was $149, Ive seen the new stuff for $89. There's just no comparison. I also used to buy the older stock of Tenpyo incense sticks and coil incense; those were also priced around $150. Now I see the coils for much less than that on amazon. Same thing happened to the top tier The Raputre, like I said. It's just not as glorious, is all. It's still good, but I'm now spoiled.
 
Back
Top