100 drops from a .2ml disposable pipette
of 25% ambergris tincture into
3 grams of sandalwood with .3 grams binder.
Excellent thank you! I want to experiment with ambergris but I wasn’t sure if I should use raw ambergris powder or tincture. I found a recipe that called for the actual tincture among other materials but it was for loose incense.

This will be fun to play around with.
 
I don’t know, but I imagine that if you use raw ambergris, you’d have to remove the squid beaks first😁

I asked both Ken and Dr. Incense questions about binders, Ken simply did not reply, and Dr. Incense replied that he cannot share his recipe.
Naive of me to ask anyhow, they should not have to divulge proprietary information.
 
I don’t know, but I imagine that if you use raw ambergris, you’d have to remove the squid beaks first😁

I asked both Ken and Dr. Incense questions about binders, Ken simply did not reply, and Dr. Incense replied that he cannot share his recipe.
Naive of me to ask anyhow, they should not have to divulge proprietary information.
What's the minimum binder ratio needed to hold together the stick?

How do mako powder & charcoal affect the speed & heat of the burn?
 
Same here. Everyone I tried asking people about how they add ambergris, I was told it was processed in a ‘special’ way.
The way curt has been doing, feels like a less messy method of incorporating ambergris in your dough. Gotta give it a try.
 
What's the minimum binder ratio needed to hold together the stick?

How do mako powder & charcoal affect the speed & heat of the burn?
5% guar gum should work as a minimum.

I believe charcoal will burn hotter, and the density of your stick affects the rate of burn...
and density probably affects the heat also,
but I’m not 100% sure.
 
I’d love to try a recipe using raw ambergris also,
maybe one day.
From what I noticed under a lens with Ken’s stick is that Ocean’s Gold appears to have these little flakes of ambergris in it. Did you notice the same thing? I remember you saying you inspect just about every aspect of incense under a “microscope” so to speak.

From some recipes I’ve seen on YouTube one gentleman uses crushed ambergris in his sticks but first allows them to bind together for 90-300 days depending on the recipe. On average it was something like 6 months. I wonder if gently heating the material together almost like the bane-Marie method would result in quicker maceration of scent? I want to try this out and see what happens.
 
Man I keep hearing about these import taxes and what the hell is up with that? You guys have to pay extra on top of the price?
Yeah it's ridiculous. If the value is over a certain threshold then you need to pay tax, so wheb I buy from people here I always ask to declare it a low value (with me taking the risk - as the package is undervalued in the case of needing to claim insurance)
Anyway, talking of risks... Well, a £10 risk 😂 I bought those Nah Champa - in fact , I bought them before your replies about the two factories, @Castingshadows

Turns out I got the decent ones!

20210517_225158.jpg
20210517_225139.jpg
20210517_225238.jpg20210517_225227.jpg20210517_225411.jpg

Also my Baieido ones arrived, but I haven't tried these yet.

20210517_225626.jpg20210517_225644.jpg
 
From what I noticed under a lens with Ken’s stick is that Ocean’s Gold appears to have these little flakes of ambergris in it. Did you notice the same thing? I remember you saying you inspect just about every aspect of incense under a “microscope” so to speak.

From some recipes I’ve seen on YouTube one gentleman uses crushed ambergris in his sticks but first allows them to bind together for 90-300 days depending on the recipe. On average it was something like 6 months. I wonder if gently heating the material together almost like the bane-Marie method would result in quicker maceration of scent? I want to try this out and see what happens.
Yes, I use a 10x eye loupe, but didn’t check out that stick.
I imagine that in most cases, using raw ambergris would be more satisfying, with my tincture, I have only used the top layer, but at the bottom there are heavier compounds, I’ll get to it one day.
 
Kikujudo - Aloeswood Kalimantan

My evening meditation scent. Sweet and slightly bitter. Picked up this Kikujudo sample pack from Kohshi the other day. I was actually in the store when UPS dropped off the package to him and Kotaro told me that other than himself, I was one of the first in the US market to try it. Really impressed by this company so far. Very straightforward and good quality. The Mysore sticks that came with it are off the charts. Looking forward to testing out these Vietnamese and Indonesian sticks soon too.
 
Always have something interesting going there it seems.
 
Back
Top