A dot of gardenia alongside a dot of ruh khus. Sharp, piercing mint with a floral backnote. Then, after brushing my teeth (with mint toothpaste) an almost overwhelming medicinal, bubblegum smell. These little accidental discoveries are how I end up with oddball blending combos. I’ve been thinking about mint or spearmint as an opening note after smelling it in an An Najwa attar and this really drives it home.
I love the effect of spearmint combined with dark green, dusky absolutes like Tolu balsam, Peru balsam and real Oakmoss, and Benzoin...
 
Anyone tried honey maceration in ethanol? I got some balls of wild Sundarban (world’s largest mangrove forest & home of royal bengal tiger) beeswax. After I melt and filter, can I use it to tincture in ethanol?
Separately, use the melted wax in oils attar?
Anyone did these? I’m not talking about beeswax absolute here.
 
Anyone tried honey maceration in ethanol? I got some balls of wild Sundarban (world’s largest mangrove forest & home of royal bengal tiger) beeswax. After I melt and filter, can I use it to tincture in ethanol?
Separately, use the melted wax in oils attar?
Anyone did these? I’m not talking about beeswax absolute here.
Well. I started the ethanol tincture of Sundarban wild beeswax. Melted, filtered, cooled down. It’s white & rubbery, containing honeyed scent. In 4-6 weeks let’s see what happens.
 
Well. I started the ethanol tincture of Sundarban wild beeswax. Melted, filtered, cooled down. It’s white & rubbery, containing honeyed scent. In 4-6 weeks let’s see what happens.


Very nice 🙂

So you melted beeswax into hot alcohol? Made that into a slurry? Cooled it and filtered? I'm trying to imagine what that would come out like with the wax. i've been dabbling with extraction so I'm interested in learning from your experience here. I have a big block of beeswax with an unusually appealing aroma, a lot of of the other samples have had salivary notes that I'm not crazy about. I would love to extract it at some point.
 
Pulverized kinam - making another batch of resinoid.
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Very nice 🙂

So you melted beeswax into hot alcohol? Made that into a slurry? Cooled it and filtered? I'm trying to imagine what that would come out like with the wax. i've been dabbling with extraction so I'm interested in learning from your experience here. I have a big block of beeswax with an unusually appealing aroma, a lot of of the other samples have had salivary notes that I'm not crazy about. I would love to extract it at some point.
Not hot alcohol…. I took the beeswax, melted it in a pot of water…. Then filtered out the dirt using a cloth….cooled it down… wax formed at bottom and remaining water on top… took out the wax, dried pretty fast… broke it down & put in in a bottle of room temperature ethanol,… just like we’d do with a dry matter… I’m expecting the ethanol would extract some of the honeyed scent, and I’ll wait for few weeks to learn how it turns out, if any other musky scent is present or not…
 
Last edited:
Had an opportunity to try the first CK extract from @Mr.P , and it smells amazing. Pure wood and resin scent. I'm very curious to see how it'll turn out in blends; I may try something today and see.
Mr. P provided a generous sample of his CK extract, swiped and dotted some tooth's morning before heading to the office.
I love the woody scent and violin bow rosin block aroma, stays close to me which I enjoy. Plain and simple, yet oddly enough moments of complexity. Hmm...certainly keeps me interested!
 
Had an opportunity to try the first CK extract from @Mr.P , and it smells amazing. Pure wood and resin scent. I'm very curious to see how it'll turn out in blends; I may try something today and see.

I am making another batch, will send you a little more next time. 🙂

Glad you like it, was curious how it would smell to someone else.
 
Mr. P provided a generous sample of his CK extract, swiped and dotted some tooth's morning before heading to the office.
I love the woody scent and violin bow rosin block aroma, stays close to me which I enjoy. Plain and simple, yet oddly enough moments of complexity. Hmm...certainly keeps me interested!
That's great, glad you like it. I was not at all confident in terms of how it would come across to others due to its gentle scent. I think I know what you mean about those moments of complexity - those are one aspect of what makes it enjoyable for me to wear as fragrance (originally this was all intended to make fixative material for perfume) .

On the one hand there's this very simple direct sweet resinous woodiness, just what you'd expect from smelling CK chips or malas, but there are deeper things going on and at times they come into focus.
 
I even had an opportunity to try @Al Shareef Oudh CK oil; if I remember correctly, it was a mix of extract and distillate. Pretty unique and leaning more towards the sweet, resinous, and vanillic profile.
Sounds good to me. Seems like a reasonable way to use the different extractions - I've been doing some layering of the resin with oud oil and it's pretty nice.
 
I keep being surprised by some odd musky aromas in my living room (which honestly smell pretty unsettling when you don't know what they're coming from) only to remember that I have a bunch of valerian drying in the next room over… I'll tell you that's not necessarily something you want to have drying indoors in your house. It's humid outside though… and I'm using the basement to dry something that I don't want to pick up the aroma of Valerian so I'm going to have to live with it for the next few days
 
again - the valerian roots which are drying in my home keep surprising me. I was sitting there last night having a snack trying to figure out how I managed to get "stink foot" when I didn't wear shoes for most of the evening.

During the initial stage of the drying I kept thinking I was smelling ruh khus. As time passes that sharp valeric acid note is becoming more prominent and it's going from warm and sweet and earthy to musky and funky. I guess it's a little more like civet than musk, with that high sharp animalic quality. (By the way does anybody remember seeing that historic musical scale of perfume notes… an arrangement of ingredients from base to treble? Civet was considered to be the highest note on this imaginary scale - something that intrigues me because I'd like to understand the thinking of the author).


The high sharp mineral stinky scintillating valerian note remind me of fermented Lao sinensis like I used to get from Enfleurage NYC and/or Bodhisat Lao PDR in the early 00's.

IMG_1794.jpeg
 
I was totally shocked to see chestnuts out there on the ground - I live in a part of the world where the "chestnut blight" pretty much wiped out every chestnut tree there was. The stumps are still alive but every time it sends up a little shoot, after it gets to about 1/2 or 1 inch diameter it succumbs to the blight. The saplings live just long enough to keep the roots alive but not long enough to grow into a tree. "smoldering roots" in the eyes of one poet, I don't remember whom

What a catastrophe that was because these trees produce such an abundance of nuts. These were scattered on the roadside on one of the lanes that I like to bicycle on in the valley here - just a tiny section of the area covered by the tree these things were everywhere.

The smell of roasted chestnuts is a wonderful thing, I wonder if I gather up a bunch of these and roast them and run them through the extractor if I can get chestnut aroma concentrate?


[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
I was totally shocked to see chestnuts out there on the ground - I live in a part of the world where the "chestnut blight" pretty much wiped out every chestnut tree there was. The stumps are still alive but every time it sends up a little shoot, after it gets to about 1/2 or 1 inch diameter it succumbs to the blight. The saplings live just long enough to keep the roots alive but not long enough to grow into a tree. "smoldering roots" in the eyes of one poet, I don't remember whom

What a catastrophe that was because these trees produce such an abundance of nuts. These were scattered on the roadside on one of the lanes that I like to bicycle on in the valley here - just a tiny section of the area covered by the tree these things were everywhere.

The smell of roasted chestnuts is a wonderful thing, I wonder if I gather up a bunch of these and roast them and run them through the extractor if I can get chestnut aroma concentrate?


View attachment 50462View attachment 50463
Prime item used to lob at others at Bustop when I was a kid!
 
What are the top 3 items you'd recommend from Dan's (Apothecary's Garden)? I'm ordering there quite often and don't wanna miss out on anything awesome.

To me it's

Musk rat oil
White/Grey ambergris
Myrrh absolute

Take care
Amberbreens
 
Last edited:
Back
Top