I love this - perfumery is kind of an extreme sport for you, Mr. P. 😄
Lol hadn't thought of it that way, but I was DIYing guerilla distillations on scavenged glassware of pine and rosemary from material that I gathered on the University of Washington campus before I was ever thinking about literal perfume making, so there is some truth to that.
 
Today I wore my Faizal Privée 1989 SQ Taifi Rose, and I wore it neat for the first time in a while. It’s the sweetest and jammiest rose I have. Lashings of strawberry jam, all rough edges long since lost to time, and just the tiniest note of copper pennies to keep things interesting. Clearly a distilled rose oil of the highest quality, it turns to a gel straight away at only a couple of degrees below room temperature.
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
I love this - perfumery is kind of an extreme sport for you, Mr. P
oh yeah speaking of which, I had a bunch of leftover cannabis from last year (I grew some but I'm not a big enough consumer to go through it), so I made some cannabis flower resinoid absolute. That is not to be trifled with(!), and a product connected to the history of this town… New Lebanon was the source of the original snake oil, the first herbal pharmaceutical factory in the United States which was famous for its opium tincture and unbelievably potent cannabis extract. There is a book called "The Hasheesh Eater" by Fritz Ludlow, recollections of his experiences on heroic doses of Tilden's tonic, a concentrated extract of hashish that this town was famous for. 😂 Better yet, the heir to the family fortune Samuel "Honest Sam" Tilden became the governor of New York and ran for president in a contested election… He won the popular vote but not the electoral college. His cemetery is down the road from my house and on his tomb it reads "I Still Trust the People".

Hasheesh Eater
 
Last edited:
oh yeah speaking of which, I had a bunch of leftover cannabis from last year (I grew some but I'm not a big enough consumer to go through it), so I made some cannabis flower resinoid absolute. That is not to be trifled with and a product connected to the history of this town… New Lebanon was the source of the original snake oil, the first herbal pharmaceutical factory in the United States which was famous for its opium tincture and unbelievably potent cannabis extract. There is a famous book called "The Hasheesh Eater" by Fritz Ludlow, recollection of his experiences on heroic doses of Tilden's tonic, a concentrated extract of hashish that this town was famous for 😂 better yet the air to the family fortune Samuel Tilden became the governor of New York and ran for president in a contested election… He won the popular vote but not the electoral college. His cemetery is down the road from my house and on his tomb it reads "I Still Trust the People".

Hasheesh Eater
I wonder if he would still trust the people nowadays. 😅 That tonic sounds like a cannabis version of laudanum, which I had mixed up with labdanum for a while (I was wondering how it was possible for an illegal narcotic to be present in perfumes 🤣). Unfortunately, cannabis has never agreed with me. Even a tiny amount of flower material gives me a full-blown panic attack - and yet in my day I could eat MDMA all day and usually be the better for it. The few times I tried LSD were also panic-inducing but taught me a lot about myself, though I never got the bottom of why I could never do the supposedly softer pot.
 
Last edited:
I wonder if he would still trust the people nowadays. 😅 That tonic sounds like a cannabis version of laudanum, which I had mixed up with labdanum for a while (I was wondering how it was possible for an illegal narcotic to be present in perfumes 🤣). Unfortunately, cannabis has never agreed with me. Even a tiny amount of flower material gives me a full-blown panic attack - and yet in my day I could eat MDMA all day and usually be the better for it. The few times I tried LSD were also panic-inducing but taught me a lot about myself, though I never got the bottom of why I could never do the supposedly softer pot.
Doesn’t suit everyone, cannabis…. Like alcohol doesn’t suit a lot of people I know but they still have it… in case of cannabis, you can’t still have it, but alcohol many can, even if it doesn’t suit… I stopped cannabis, after many years of use, as it doesn’t suit me anymore. Now I like a drink or two, at a point I didn’t because it didn’t suit.
I stopped tobacco too, since I started tincturing with perfumes 🙂
 
I wonder if he would still trust the people nowadays. 😅 That tonic sounds like a cannabis version of laudanum, which I had mixed up with labdanum for a while (I was wondering how it was possible for an illegal narcotic to be present in perfumes 🤣). Unfortunately, cannabis has never agreed with me. Even a tiny amount of flower material gives me a full-blown panic attack - and yet in my day I could eat MDMA all day and usually be the better for it. The few times I tried LSD were also panic-inducing but taught me a lot about myself, though I never got the bottom of why I could never do the supposedly softer pot.
I am reading the Hasheesh Eater now - his first reaction was a panic attack type response to a strong hallucinogenic dose. It's actually really interesting reading about somebody from this long ago describing the experience and their efforts to navigate it. Something I and quite a few of my acquaintances have been through - people often overdo it on the edibles due to their slow and sneaky onset. nothing happening after an hour so you eat another brownie and then whammo next thing you know you are trying to remember how to breathe 😂
 
I wonder if he would still trust the people nowadays. 😅 That tonic sounds like a cannabis version of laudanum, which I had mixed up with labdanum for a while (I was wondering how it was possible for an illegal narcotic to be present in perfumes 🤣). Unfortunately, cannabis has never agreed with me. Even a tiny amount of flower material gives me a full-blown panic attack - and yet in my day I could eat MDMA all day and usually be the better for it. The few times I tried LSD were also panic-inducing but taught me a lot about myself, though I never got the bottom of why I could never do the supposedly softer pot.
My favorite of the author's hallucinations: a space filled with old "crones" who, on close inspection, were actually striking facsimiles of old women made of meticulously knitted yarn; the old crones were busy knitting more old crones 😂

[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Last edited:
oh yeah speaking of which, I had a bunch of leftover cannabis from last year (I grew some but I'm not a big enough consumer to go through it), so I made some cannabis flower resinoid absolute. That is not to be trifled with and a product connected to the history of this town… New Lebanon was the source of the original snake oil, the first herbal pharmaceutical factory in the United States which was famous for its opium tincture and unbelievably potent cannabis extract. There is a famous book called "The Hasheesh Eater" by Fritz Ludlow, recollection of his experiences on heroic doses of Tilden's tonic, a concentrated extract of hashish that this town was famous for 😂 better yet the heir to the family fortune Samuel Tilden became the governor of New York and ran for president in a contested election… He won the popular vote but not the electoral college. His cemetery is down the road from my house and on his tomb it reads "I Still Trust the People".

Hasheesh Eater
I wonder does a cannabis extract exist that’s free of THC and CBD? I want to get my hands on it but I don’t want to exclusively eat lentils and bread for a decade.
 
I wonder does a cannabis extract exist that’s free of THC and CBD? I want to get my hands on it but I don’t want to exclusively eat lentils and bread for a decade.
You can order the steam distilled essential oil from Eden Botanicals (was on sale for a long while) and presumably some other suppliers. No THC but the aroma is pretty abstracted from the really favorable characteristics of the flowers… It tends to be more of a green crushed stem beta caryophyllene note. To me it is too far off the mark.

I just applied a swipe to check my recollection. Kind of bitter herbal green, this was the tart pine / evergreen type cannabis based on the smell, not the dank type. After the bitter green top note explosion fades there is a bit of a muskiness - not skunk type, more along the lines of urine-like but not in the narrow offputting sense just in terms of the overall character of the notes. It's an aroma that I have smelled in the herb itself as well.

The later stage of the evaporation actually is really bringing certain types of flower to mind - some strains have this pronounced tart pine note and at the current moment it smells very recognizable like a jar of that kind of weed. I don't remember it being this nice, maybe it's aged well.

Lots of terpenes I think monoterpenes, these tend to be lower in solubility and it forms a cloudy solution in alcohol.
 
Last edited:
You can order the steam distilled essential oil from Eden Botanicals (was on sale for a long while) and presumably some other suppliers. No THC but the aroma is pretty abstracted from the really favorable characteristics of the flowers… It tends to be more of a green crushed stem beta caryophyllene note. To me it is too far off the mark.

I just applied a swipe to check my recollection. Kind of bitter herbal green, this was the tart pine / evergreen type cannabis based on the smell, not the dank type. After the bitter green top note explosion fades there is a bit of a muskiness - not skunk type, more along the lines of urine-like but not in the narrow offputting sense just in terms of the overall character of the notes. It's an aroma that I have smelled in the herb itself as well.

The later stage of the evaporation actually is really bringing certain types of flower to mind - some strains have this pronounced tart pine note and at the current moment it smells very recognizable like a jar of that kind of weed. I don't remember it being this nice, maybe it's aged well.

Lots of terpenes I think monoterpenes, these tend to be lower in solubility and it forms a cloudy solution in alcohol.
Do you think tincture in ethanol then aging would make cannabis useable? My ones are still in soak and has this ‘spicy fried peas’ smell…. It hits you in the nose… I hope it ages well….
 
Do you think tincture in ethanol then aging would make cannabis useable? My ones are still in soak and has this ‘spicy fried peas’ smell…. It hits you in the nose… I hope it ages well….

This is a funny area… I have prepared tinctures and resinoids of cannabis, but I processed things for the medicinal effects which has a negative effect on the aroma. All kinds of odd notes there that don't really sit well with me.

I have made some tinctures and resinoids from other dried herbs that smell good to me and others, so why not cannabis? I have just never tried to make one for aromatic purposes. To do that I might try a much shorter soak and avoid any kind of elevated temperature for example.
 
I wonder does a cannabis extract exist that’s free of THC and CBD? I want to get my hands on it but I don’t want to exclusively eat lentils and bread for a decade.
There is a proper essential oil (hydrodistilled) of Cannabis, sold as 'Hemp essential oil' and it is free from both THC and CBD (and any cannabinoids), while presenting a full, bold and iconic aromatic character of that pungent zesty herb. As based in EU, I know that Hermitage sells artisan-grade produced in UK Hemp essence (smells like a real thing 😉 ) that costs just a tad more than 40€ for 5 ml (and the price slides down (per volume) if you buy more - meaning it is 5 times cheaper than the cheapest plantation Oud.
N.B. Because Cannabiboids are larger, heavier analogues of their smaller aromatic relative molecules of terpenes and oxigenated terpenoids, they are not fully volatile, classified as resins and 'fatty acids' derivates' - meaning that in the proper water distillation they do not pass into the essence, but they do in any other method of extraction, particularly any solvent extraction (including the tincturing with ethanol alcohol).
 
It's worth noting that the hemp oils are nothing like oil distilled from quality cannabis flower which is incredibly expensive. It's generally distilled from branches and leaves etc. and the aroma reflects it. I'm sure there are different qualities of course.

I had a chance to smell some made by Olefaktory, Sour Tangie and one other strain - and his actually did smell like high-quality mature flower. He was never interested in selling any. Incredible stuff, a different category of aroma entirely.
 
Today I'm wearing a small blend I put together myself almost two years ago. It's been sitting in my box of oils mostly forgotten about. This has had the effect of being quite positive as the oil has aged really well together. Ingredients are Merauke oud (a sample from an unknown supplier), Bergamot eo, and Civet tincture - Apothecary 's Garden. Smells perfect to my nose. The Merauke and bergamot were made for each other with the civet giving it strength. Very pleasantly surprised.
 
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day

A piece of ambergris from ambergrisconnect, the dark glossy part is the part I heated with a needle.
For some reason, it smells like cannabis when burnt. First time I encounter ambergris like this. Specifically the sweet resinous earthy herbal side of cannabis
 
View attachment 50157
A piece of ambergris from ambergrisconnect, the dark glossy part is the part I heated with a needle.
For some reason, it smells like cannabis when burnt. First time I encounter ambergris like this. Specifically the sweet resinous earthy herbal side of cannabis
ejayb / olefaktory made a blend "cannagris" which was ambergris extracted into really fine dank mossy cannabis oil he distilled. very harmonious combination. Also there are some strains that have a distinct ambergris profile like GMO cookies I think. I made some tinctures last year from some flower of that strain grown locally and it really reminded me of ambergris
 
A dot of gardenia alongside a dot of ruh khus. Sharp, piercing mint with a floral backnote. Then, after brushing my teeth (with mint toothpaste) an almost overwhelming medicinal, bubblegum smell. These little accidental discoveries are how I end up with oddball blending combos. I’ve been thinking about mint or spearmint as an opening note after smelling it in an An Najwa attar and this really drives it home.
 
Back
Top