Not sure if this one should go here, but on my way to the supermarket I got stopped in my tracks by the smell of this one:
View attachment 48552

And at the moment I’m enjoying the scent of this one because it’s growing near the open window. (It’s my FAVORITE window to open for that reason LOL)
View attachment 48553

Does anyone know what kind of jasmine they are? (@Mr.P ??)
The first one is probably Jasmine grandiflorum or possibly polyanthum. Absolutely beautiful, nothing even comes remotely close!

The second one looks like it is Trachelospermum jasminoides, which is not Jasmine or in the jasmine family but has some physical resemblance to jasmine by coincidence.
 
The first one is probably Jasmine grandiflorum or possibly polyanthum. Absolutely beautiful, nothing even comes remotely close!

The second one looks like it is Trachelospermum jasminoides, which is not Jasmine or in the jasmine family but has some physical resemblance to jasmine by coincidence.
Thanks so much for determining the names of these plants!
I was sold the second as being ‘jasmine’ so I am feeling a tad cheated on LOL.

Just curious, is the grandiflorum/polyanthum also the most fragrant jasmine? While I do care for beauty, I care more for great smell. 😝
 
Thanks so much for determining the names of these plants!
I was sold the second as being ‘jasmine’ so I am feeling a tad cheated on LOL.

Just curious, is the grandiflorum/polyanthum also the most fragrant jasmine? While I do care for beauty, I care more for great smell. 😝

By most fragrant - do you mean the strongest scent on the shrub? Not sure which is strongest but it seems sambac and grandiflorum are richer more full and complex scents.

Grandiflorum makes such a more interesting oil than sambac. This always surprised me because the sambac flowers themselves are rich and complex. I am still looking for the perfect sambac oil - I found some very nice ones but the ones that I am certain are natural are always a bit rough around the edges and relatively one dimensional

Now this is meant humorously and it's not fair to the star jasmine, but I hold a grudge against that stuff... past trauma due to plant nursery staff, friends, and family members getting me psyched up about their jasmine plants only to end up showing me one of those.
 
Last edited:
Making a simple 🌹 perfume for M🩷M
This Taifi is soft-rosy & fresh, like dew on delicate petals on a cold morning.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    IMG_3143.webp
    67.7 KB · Views: 84
Making a simple 🌹 perfume for M🩷M
This Taifi is soft-rosy & fresh, like dew on delicate petals on a cold morning.
I have a quarter tola of that from their store in London, and it’s very good.

I’m quite sure it has extra geraniol and whatnot added to it, but it’s very strong and pleasant to wear. Wears well with Hindi ouds. Great buy.
 
Last edited:
Palo Santo 2020 Essential Oil - Aroma Sublime (Sample)

This is very unusual. It’s a strong sour power smell reminiscent of freshly cut wood and epoxy. It completely overpowers the Electric Candy Apple that I applied before.

I do like the fact that it’s supposed to be a traditional remedy for pain. I appreciate @Aroma Sublime for exposing me to this gem. And is one of those finds that I’m lucky to have stumbled upon.
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Palo Santo 2020 Essential Oil - Aroma Sublime (Sample)

This is very unusual. It’s a strong sour power smell reminiscent of freshly cut wood and epoxy. It completely overpowers the Electric Candy Apple that I applied before.

I do like the fact that it’s supposed to be a traditional remedy for pain. I appreciate @Aroma Sublime for exposing me to this gem. And is one of those finds that I’m lucky to have stumbled upon.
View attachment 49065
I am on the lookout for this (Palo Santo) too. There are stores in London that claim to sell it. Need to do my due diligence.
 
Premium Frangipani - Aroma Sublime (Sample)

I’ve reached the last of the samples and it did not disappoint. Smells very sweet, earthy, herbaceous, and floral. Pineapple, lemon, jasmine, latex gloves. I like it.
 
Last edited:
Premium Frangipani - Aroma Sublime (Sample)

I’ve reached the last of the samples and it did not disappoint. Smells very sweet, earthy, herbaceous, and floral. Pineapple, lemon, jasmine, latex gloves. I like it.
That frangipani has ruined all others for me. Absolutes just can’t compare. I’m a bit of a freak for it. I’d love to get the Fresh version. Truly a one-dot-for-the-whole-day material.
 
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day

Vintage Bulgarian rose
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day

Vintage Bulgarian rose
Powdery smooth and deep, not too sweet like fresh Bulgarian rose. With hints of marmalade and gulkand, almost like a mixture of rose de mai and rose Otto. If rose oils were on a spectrum, and you put fresh Taif rose on one end, this would be on the other end, it won’t punch your nose, it’ll massage it instead. Very relaxing and meditative.
 
View attachment 49123
Vintage Bulgarian rose
View attachment 49124
Vintage Bulgarian rose
Powdery smooth and deep, not too sweet like fresh Bulgarian rose. With hints of marmalade and gulkand, almost like a mixture of rose de mai and rose Otto. If rose oils were on a spectrum, and you put fresh Taif rose on one end, this would be on the other end, it won’t punch your nose, it’ll massage it instead. Very relaxing and meditative.
That is an unusual color - is this an absolute or perhaps a blend of otto and absolute? sweet little metal flask - love it
 
Last edited:
Metal flask is too cool... where did you find that?
 
ROSES-
I went by Enfleurage here in NYC to say goodbye to a vintage Azeri Otto they were holding for me. I had to smell it one last time before I let it go. There aren’t enough adjectives that I haven’t overused for me to describe it in a way that does it justice. The last gram they have for sale. Sublime, like river polished topaz. At 53 years old and $2 per year per gram I just couldn’t rationalize getting it. I’ve never smelled a rose that smells like it. They do have their new crop of Bulgarian Otto that’s half the price and maybe half as nice and still batting up there with some of the best rose oils I’ve smelled. $50/ gram and sits somewhere between a Kashmiri and Persian profile. Lime juice citrus notes verging on mineral metallic. Juicy around the edges but somehow not in the center if you can imagine. I ended up getting a Rose de Mai and sampling their White Flowers pomade. All enfleurage of tuberose, gardenia and jasmine polyanthum. Pretty ridiculous stuff. I can imagine all the old ladies and me smearing this on. It’s a fantastic base, especially for oud! Speaking of jasmine polyanthum, they have their absolutely phenomenal enfleurage back in stock. Of stand out, standalone florals I would say this and Aroma Sublimes frangipani otto are right up there.
 
Last edited:
Nangarhar Rose - Habzoud

Might be the best rose in my collection. Nothing else I have walks the tightrope between jammy-floral, green, citrus and spice notes with such aplomb as this. Deep, shimmering and multifaceted. The kind of rose that makes you want a full tola.

I’m sitting next to the subitism with some terengganu on low heat and sniffing this from the back of my hand at the same time 😵‍💫
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    IMG_1154.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Nangarhar Rose - Habzoud

Might be the best rose in my collection. Nothing else I have walks the tightrope between jammy-floral, green, citrus and spice notes with such aplomb as this. Deep, shimmering and multifaceted. The kind of rose that makes you want a full tola.

I’m sitting next to the subitism with some terengganu on low heat and sniffing this from the back of my hand at the same time 😵‍💫
I agree
Its a magnificent rose oil 🌹
 
Back
Top