Wearing some of ensar's japanese red rose oil this morning. A recent acquisition, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with it. It's nice don't get me wrong but it's not spectacular. First thing I notice is geranium, rose-y geranium. It's supposed to have "red" smelling nuances but it's more citrus like citronella. Color of the oil is more orange-y than I'd expect from an otto, it also does not congeal which makes me question it's purity. Still a nice enough oil, it will be fun to make a few blends which is why I bought it but I've smelled better for less $$.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    17451632714702911364386692809428.webp
    122.3 KB · Views: 149
Wearing some of ensar's japanese red rose oil this morning. A recent acquisition, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with it. It's nice don't get me wrong but it's not spectacular. First thing I notice is geranium, rose-y geranium. It's supposed to have "red" smelling nuances but it's more citrus like citronella. Color of the oil is more orange-y than I'd expect from an otto, it also does not congeal which makes me question it's purity. Still a nice enough oil, it will be fun to make a few blends which is why I bought it but I've smelled better for less $$.
I wonder what species it's supposed to be and if it is supposed to be a pure rose oil or a blend of things?

"Among the wild roses native to Japan, Rosa multiflora, R. luciae ( = R. wichuraiana) , and R. rugosa are widely known since they were taken to Europe in the nineteenth century or even earlier, and the former two have transferred their genes to many roses grown in our gardens today. However, roses growing wild in Japan are by no means confined to these three. In fact, there are more than a dozen wild roses growing naturally in various parts of this country"

I guarantee you that it is not Rosa multiflora oil. I am guessing it might be rugosa rose which is pretty widespread, grows everywhere, and common in Asia in general.
 
@Mr.P it's supposed to be r. rugosa essential oil, I've re-read the description a hundred times making sure I didn't miss something lol.
I got a sample of rugosa oil from Mountain Rose years ago. It was interesting, a little more of an apple-like aroma compared to damascena. I have like half a milliliter in the bottom of the bottle but it's too old at this point to be worth much for reference.
 
Any recs you have handy Matty?
Recommandations? Nothing specifically, I've tried otto's from Yusa, Sibermusk, Enfleurage, Eden Botanicals and an other from ensar as well as an absolute from Essential oil Apothecary, they're all good in their own way, much, much more rose/floral than the japanese red I just bought. If I really had to pick one from what I have it would be the pink rose otto from enfleurage, fresh dewy roses, almost no citrus or geranium smell, just floral rose petals. Second I'd pick the bulgarian from Sibermusk, it might not win any competitions but I love the slight fruitiness it has, kind of like fruit conserve or compot.
I'm still looking around at different vendors, Hermitage might be my next place of purchse.
 
My new incense burner has a lid. When I burned the CK it left this residue after 10 mins of burning. Is this Oud oil? The CK is of very high quality and 1 piece burns consistently for 30 mins.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    IMG_0185.webp
    148.4 KB · Views: 95
My new incense burner has a lid. When I burned the CK it left this residue after 10 mins of burning. Is this Oud oil? The CK is of very high quality and 1 piece burns consistently for 30 mins.
That is oud creosote or tar - chemically transformed by the high temperature, but it has some of the chemicals in it that a steam distilled oil would have as well. Basically what you are doing when you burn wood and capture the smoke residue like this is called "dry" or "destructive" distillation. One member here was recently talking about burning incense in a container lined with fat or grease, to absorb the smoke aroma and create a kind of perfume - definitely an option. These smoky oils and tars are potentially carcinogenic and regulated in fragrance - so they need to be used with this in mind.
 
That is oud creosote or tar - chemically transformed by the high temperature, but it has some of the chemicals in it that a steam distilled oil would have as well. Basically what you are doing when you burn wood and capture the smoke residue like this is called "dry" or "destructive" distillation. One member here was recently talking about burning incense in a container lined with fat or grease, to absorb the smoke aroma and create a kind of perfume - definitely an option. These smoky oils and tars are potentially carcinogenic and regulated in fragrance - so they need to be used with this in mind.
Thanks so much for that info.
 
Thanks so much for that info.
You could allow some of that tar to build up on the underside of the lid, rinse it off with alcohol and then bottle the alcohol - like CK smoke perfume. If you were concerned about putting it on skin, you could always apply to a piece of fabric or use it as a "room spray".
 
You could allow some of that tar to build up on the underside of the lid, rinse it off with alcohol and then bottle the alcohol - like CK smoke perfume. If you were concerned about putting it on skin, you could always apply to a piece of fabric or use it as a "room spray".
That’s a rabbit hole I’m not sure about. I bought a mini lab to make perfumes from Sokkat AlTeeb. Great price too. When mixing I was lost. I have lots of ingredients from another vendor from Taif that someone put me on to. Don’t think I have the level of interest necessary for the “making” part of it.
 
I'd like to speculate more on this insane heater that the boys took a picture of on their recent trip. @YusaAromatics was this is Taiwan you found this? I've never seen anything like it! The amount of wood you could load up in that thing is crazy!
View attachment 46736
Yes bro Taiwan, was like near to my knees. And its electric 😂 made of 100% copper, we were unable to even move it an inch.
 
Last edited:
I prepared matcha usucha from the Agarwood 'Tea' over at @RisingPhoenix.
There was so much going on all at once, it's one of the most complex flavors I've ever tried in my life.
Right off the bat, I got an intense resinous fragrance with mild sweetness. There was a slight undertone of a bitter herbaceous lemongrass peppermint quality. It felt spicy hot on the tip of my tongue with a tingling sensation, the spice was similar to a raw cabbage or radish. There was a frankincense and ginger taste, I noted raw carrots as well. The most prominent flavor is completely indescribable; it was ethereal and completely unique. The closest comparison is an unburnt kyara stick; perhaps the word is kynamic.
After swallowing, there was a short-lived aftertaste of blueberries and cream; the 'ethereal' flavor persisted as a dominant flavor for hours afterwards.
I felt energetic and 'light'. There was an intense (but not burning) warmth blossoming from my stomach, and my long-covid asthma symptoms vanished into thin air even though they've been quite bad lately.
This stuff is wild, completely unlike anything else I've encountered.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    IMG_4552.webp
    165.1 KB · Views: 92
Cool idea to prep it like Matcha!

How much material did you use?

Not surprised to hear about the improvement of the symptoms, btw. Glad it helped !
 
That is oud creosote or tar - chemically transformed by the high temperature, but it has some of the chemicals in it that a steam distilled oil would have as well. Basically what you are doing when you burn wood and capture the smoke residue like this is called "dry" or "destructive" distillation. One member here was recently talking about burning incense in a container lined with fat or grease, to absorb the smoke aroma and create a kind of perfume - definitely an option. These smoky oils and tars are potentially carcinogenic and regulated in fragrance - so they need to be used with this in mind.
Oh so knowledgable. Are you a perfumer @Mr.P ?
 
Back
Top