View attachment 53096I have this 2 almost simillar looking black nuggets, every around 15g. Very dense wood, after scretching some dust from it, it stays shiny surface.
The nugget on the left has very balsamic aroma and around 230c starting some cooling sensation.
The nugget on the right smell pungent, it reminds me a burned plastic, its exactly harsh smell which i found in other pieces which were probably diagnosed as bouya or non-agarwood.
Now im lost, its looks exactly the same but one smells like agarwood and the other not.
New edit: it seems to be interesting wood, which have 4 stages.
1st is mild sweet balsamic, 2st is very bitter almost burnt plastic, 3st is almost animalic with reminiscent of musk, 4st is again balsamic as opening.
I put some little shave directly on high temperatures and it goes tru this 4 stages in 10 seconds.
Yea, i tried different temperature combinations a found different results. Its interesting how it behave completely different. I think i need to let conclusions to later time. Before i was thinking what i perceive as burning smell is actually spicy.You had mentioned in a previous post that they were Bouya. Did you change heating methods?
Ahh, there you go. Sometimes, you just need time as an ingredient to let your nose "tune" into just what it is you're smelling. I find this happens a lot with oud.Yea, i tried different temperature combinations a found different results. Its interesting how it behave completely different. I think i need to let conclusions to later time. Before i was thinking what i perceive as burning smell is actually spicy.
That's crazy!Amazing how wood responds to different conditions. All woods for that matter, not just aromatic ones. But especially those of the hard dense types. I like to use a steel file for those. Powder em up.
Funny story; I was sampling some woods I had for sale to high level buyers/ purveyors in Dubai not that long ago. The most expensive ones I had, per gram price, a 3gr named kyara from Shoyeido.
With all the woods on the table. The buyers took out pruning shears and started to cut slivers off of the woods I was presenting to them.
I was surprised to see this method of cutting but now I understand it as a great and fast way to make smaller pieces. I had a small craft blade to slice with me but the sheers got the job done in no time.
After cutting the pieces with the shears on the hot coal it went. Lovely scents in the air we were all feeling pretty good after a few samples.
The brothers called one particular piece that the enjoyed the most, Sillani, they were sinking pieces that had amazing depth. The cinnamon note was really great. Enjoying the good time I was a bit distracted from the the woods I had spread out , and out of the corner of my eye I see the one brother cut the kyara piece with the shears, my eyes opened wide thinking to myself if they only they saw this in Japan… and WOW that’s a $200 chunk he just cut off. I say politely and a little shocked “that’s the most expensive piece”
. They all smile and On the coal it goes,,, they bring the burners close for a smell, they all make faces of disgust and pass me the burner. Burnt rubber. They laugh at the face I make as well. Not as bad as real rubber burning but no way like the gentle heat scent. That’s when I bring out my small electric heater and say that wood is for this type of heater. Laughs again, “this wood is no good “ they say.
The session ended well and they gifted me a beautiful oil I cherish every time I open my perfume cabinet. It more than paid for the $200 chunk of kyara, up in burnt smoke.
How would you burn a chunk that size? You'll have to break it up somehow surely?
Yes that’s why I posted it before I go ahead and cut it another time.How would you burn a chunk that size? You'll have to break it up somehow surely?