But what it is exactly? It gives off oudy aroma, sometimes it smell like burned plastic, sometimes vanilla sweetnes, sometimes it doesnt smell pleasant sometimes pleasant. After some time it transform to typical oudy smell, in the beginning you cant recognize it directly. Just burned it on charcoal, so dont know how it behave in different temperatures. I appreciate negative opinion about this, thats the reason why im here, to learn a more about this topic, i presented it as i bought it, so please dont take it as my claim, im very novice in this area. Other members even said it doesnt looks like oud, but there is so many atypical types of chips which are selling in asia, which dont remind classical chips. So guys if some of you would like to play with it a give a opinion about it i can send you a piece.
i do not have a clue what it is but i am 2000% it is not kinam. no offense but i would not put fumes from it up my nose and into my brain either so i can see how it smells lol. maybe it is a pleasant wood at times but burned plastic and kinam just cant be related trust me.
 
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos

M A C E R A T I O N
Ambergris, Sandal, Indonesian Oud, Kashmiri Musk
 
But what it is exactly? It gives off oudy aroma, sometimes it smell like burned plastic, sometimes vanilla sweetnes, sometimes it doesnt smell pleasant sometimes pleasant. After some time it transform to typical oudy smell, in the beginning you cant recognize it directly. Just burned it on charcoal, so dont know how it behave in different temperatures. I appreciate negative opinion about this, thats the reason why im here, to learn a more about this topic, i presented it as i bought it, so please dont take it as my claim, im very novice in this area. Other members even said it doesnt looks like oud, but there is so many atypical types of chips which are selling in asia, which dont remind classical chips. So guys if some of you would like to play with it a give a opinion about it i can send you a piece.
The burning plastic note sounds outright frightening.
 
I have kynam oil, and I can't use it. It disappears into the background when I mix it into blends. Whatever!
The kinam oils are a mystery and I think people are still figuring out how to extract that stuff. The ones I have smelled have been all over the place and CO2 oils are sometimes mixed up with the distilled - they vary from almost odorless fixatives like what you describe there, or kind of heavy and dull woody and salivary like thick felt, or punchy and peppery. I would say the most intense were comparable to a distilled plantation no soak crassna in impact - I have one that is difficult to blend with and is a bit overbearing even - I've been experimenting with things to kind of cut / soften and temper it.

Odor quality varies from awful to intriguing with the good smelling stuff commanding a higher price it seems. None of it is like full-on oud at least so far, though I love the ck stuff for what it is too.
 
Last edited:
The kinam oils are a mystery and I think people are still figuring out how to extract that stuff. The ones I have smelled have been all over the place and CO2 oils are sometimes mixed up with the distilled - they vary from almost odorless fixatives like what you describe there, or kind of heavy and dull woody and salivary like thick felt, or punchy and peppery. I would say the most intense were comparable to a distilled plantation no soak crassna in impact - I have one that is difficult to blend with and is a bit overbearing even - I've been experimenting with things to kind of cut / soften and temper it.

Odor quality varies from awful to intriguing, with the good-smelling stuff commanding a higher price, it seems. None of it is like full-on oud at least so far, though I love the ck stuff for what it is too.

Indeed, @Mr.P !

I love it, and it smells great on its own, but, just like a tad bit of geranium note in a rose-dominant perfume, the odor impact is lacking. Too bad, as I paid a pretty price for 30 grams. I CAN, however, wear it on its own, and it has decent sillage and definitely a great longevity, similar to s synthetic. Perhaps I'll just use it in a simpler blend? A musk/kynam attar--a little ambergris, civet, something? I already made version 2 of my blue lotus/oud from 2017, which is just two materials in a very specific ratio.
 
Indeed, @Mr.P !

I love it, and it smells great on its own, but, just like a tad bit of geranium note in a rose-dominant perfume, the odor impact is lacking. Too bad, as I paid a pretty price for 30 grams. I CAN, however, wear it on its own, and it has decent sillage and definitely a great longevity, similar to s synthetic. Perhaps I'll just use it in a simpler blend? A musk/kynam attar--a little ambergris, civet, something? I already made version 2 of my blue lotus/oud from 2017, which is just two materials in a very specific ratio.
What was the source of the oil? I am generally curious about different sources/plantations/extractors of the stuff...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Hey there!

I'm not sure where he got it from, but he is a trusted source. Do you want me to see if he can get you any?
No, but the thought is appreciated!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
I think we are talking about Kinam/Kynam from China, it has a very strong sweet taste, seductive and full of flavor. But unlike Kynam from Vietnam, its flavor completely blows away all the oils I have tried before.
 
Love this AMBERGRIS, TIMUR SANDAL, MYSORE SANDAL, AUSTRALIAN SANDAL Maceration:
You know I love Australian sandalwood! It's an amazing aromatic material, utterly charming in all ways except for being a literal one-to-one replacement for your typical Indian oil. Don't see it getting a whole lot of billing... this inspired me to apply a swipe of this 2008 high-grade oil I got from WLA. Kind of bitter, woody, resinous, and myrrh-like(?) up close. It has a peculiar soft sandalwoody sweetness from a distance that almost brings agarbatthis with mabe a hint of civet to mind.

IMG_4243.jpeg
 
You know I love Australian sandalwood! It's an amazing aromatic material, utterly charming in all ways except for being a literal one-to-one replacement for your typical Indian oil. Don't see it getting a whole lot of billing... this inspired me to apply a swipe of this 2008 high-grade oil I got from WLA. Kind of bitter, woody, resinous, and myrrh-like(?) up close. It has a peculiar soft sandalwoody sweetness from a distance that almost brings agarbatthis with mabe a hint of civet to mind.

View attachment 51835
Actually...,has anyone done a artisinal Aussie sandalwood extraction from here? I'd certainly buy some. I have a single bottle of the top shelf Aussie sandalwood from New Mountain but that's all. It is a stunning oil.
 
@Mr.P I really recommend getting yourself a bottle of this from New Mountain. Absolutely one worth having in your collection/arsenal for future perfumes.
 
Actually...,has anyone done a artisinal Aussie sandalwood extraction from here? I'd certainly buy some. I have a single bottle of the top shelf Aussie sandalwood from New Mountain but that's all. It is a stunning oil.
@Goodness Nose made a very nice spicatum distillate. I have a handful of heartwood blocks that I got back in the mid 90s, I have barely made any progress consuming them so I may extract them at some point. I'd prefer to extract something I can buy today - if anybody knows of a source for a good material that's shipping to the United States right now I'm interested - the source that goodness nose shared with me stopped shipping to the United States because of the tariff chaos. Hooray!

I have made two album sandalwood extracts, I feel like one of them was definitely worth sacrificing the material, the other I think would have produced the most real value as incense because it was extraordinary on the heater but the extract came out kind of bland.

I think the spicatum has a full rich scent that would work especially well with solvent extraction, based on my earlier tincturing experiments. That said, I was not impressed with either of the commercial spicatum extracts i have smelled - one was an absolute and the other was a CO2 extraction and neither one of them was remarkable other than their strong resemblance to the distilled oil. I don't know what kind of starting material these extracts were made from.

IMG_4256.jpeg
 
Actually @Mr.P, if you were keen on it. You could get a bag of chips sent to me here in Brisbane and I could send them onto you over there? A 700g bag of small grind chips is very cheap. Depends how keen you are I guess? How much do you need to do a proper extraction? They have 5kg bags as well.
https://newmountain.com.au/products/west-australian-sandalwood-pregrind-chips?variant=41339884404897
700 g would be several batches in the extractor! that's a generous offer, I might take you up on it. I wonder if there might be any issue sending that material internationally? I recall in the past that some type of phytosanitary certificate may be required to import that quantity of plant matter. I have no idea if that's worrying about nothing or a real concern.
 
700 g would be several batches in the extractor! that's a generous offer, I might take you up on it. I wonder if there might be any issue sending that material internationally? I recall in the past that some type of phytosanitary certificate may be required to import that quantity of plant matter. I have no idea if that's worrying about nothing or a real concern.
I think that is correct. Hmm.. @Goodness Nose, can you weigh in here if you're around? Do I recall you did have some drama importing the sandalwood yourself? Potentially New Mountain could provide the certificate.
 
Back
Top