Same batch non sinking. Both smell great.
[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos

[Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
 
Been burning some slivers of this wood these past few days. This was the heartwood of a log I got back in the late 90’s. Origin unknown, this is some fine oud if I had to guess, Malaysia or Borneo. Fragrant at room temp it has a sweet honey-like aroma with a musk and sandalwood like undertone (can’t think of better adjectives). Heated, it has rich sweet and mineral notes at first, shifting to a sweet deep “oudiness” and finally sweet vanillin notes at the end. The large piece is 21 grams, solid resin all the way through. I left a small amount of the surroundings lighter wood on the outside because the grain and knot are quite beautiful where it split. Also have a bunch of the lighter wood that surrounded this, which is also large chunks but maybe is half as resinated as the darker heart pieces.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    1E3A6362-B55C-44E0-9BA2-BD4F363862C2.webp
    105.9 KB · Views: 182
  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    50AC2609-039B-436E-ACC6-AF4CEA6FD773.webp
    193.9 KB · Views: 179
  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    7EB26D19-4231-475E-9395-8AFEBF627125.webp
    113.5 KB · Views: 176
  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    610640B3-7F39-42B5-AD15-8B6AAF43EDD2.webp
    183.5 KB · Views: 174
  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    A93CD87E-03AD-4DDE-A3A5-A66BC9ECD87E.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 188
Been burning some slivers of this wood these past few days. This was the heartwood of a log I got back in the late 90’s. Origin unknown, this is some fine oud if I had to guess, Malaysia or Borneo. Fragrant at room temp it has a sweet honey-like aroma with a musk and sandalwood like undertone (can’t think of better adjectives). Heated, it has rich sweet and mineral notes at first, shifting to a sweet deep “oudiness” and finally sweet vanillin notes at the end. The large piece is 21 grams, solid resin all the way through. I left a small amount of the surroundings lighter wood on the outside because the grain and knot are quite beautiful where it split. Also have a bunch of the lighter wood that surrounded this, which is also large chunks but maybe is half as resinated as the darker heart pieces.
Wow 🤩!!!!!
Mr P that’s some amazing looking heartwood
 
At the time I got this things felt different for sure. Pretty much the only English language info on the web that I was aware of about agarwood and such was the material published by Baieido USA and at a yahoo group called “Alice’s Restaurant” hosted by the us Baieido representative David Oller. It was not easy to find anything for a noob with no connections.
 
Been burning some slivers of this wood these past few days. This was the heartwood of a log I got back in the late 90’s. Origin unknown, this is some fine oud if I had to guess, Malaysia or Borneo. Fragrant at room temp it has a sweet honey-like aroma with a musk and sandalwood like undertone (can’t think of better adjectives). Heated, it has rich sweet and mineral notes at first, shifting to a sweet deep “oudiness” and finally sweet vanillin notes at the end. The large piece is 21 grams, solid resin all the way through. I left a small amount of the surroundings lighter wood on the outside because the grain and knot are quite beautiful where it split. Also have a bunch of the lighter wood that surrounded this, which is also large chunks but maybe is half as resinated as the darker heart pieces.
Love the smooth, worn surfaces...
 
I have no clue what it's origins are as I won it in a Japanese auction..... but If I had to break down what I smell when heating it then....
10% of something Sweet that flashes on and off (can't explain it)
40% green fresh leather(if that even exists)
10% white chocolate & pine
5% night blooming flower
30% sour unripe blackberry
5% walnuts.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud Photos
    j-img1200.webp
    123.8 KB · Views: 166
Does seem suspicious. The streaks of resin are not uniform nor as thin as what I would expect in agarwood. Maybe soil grade?
 
Back
Top