Your post about that loss bars sandalwood oil made me thinking about abandon the sandalwood vacuum distillation , for it’s complexity and costly compared to simplicity of loss bar distillation and cheap but yet produces an oil that a master perfume himself really like 😀🙏
I love that stuff! And thank you so much for the compliment.

There's no way I can let a post stand that labels me as a "master perfumer", as much as I would like to be one. "Obsessive lifetime collector of natural raw materials who has recently started tampering with more formal botanical perfume making" is a better description 🙂
 
I love that stuff! And thank you so much for the compliment.

There's no way I can let a post stand that labels me as a "master perfumer", as much as I would like to be one. "Obsessive lifetime collector of natural raw materials who has recently started tampering with more formal botanical perfume making" is a better description 🙂
That's one hell of a sub-title man but I like it!
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
Is it completely anonymous?
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
Tonga,Fiji
They are same place dear
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
@mesOUD had a sandalwood called, NTT SANDALWOOD OIL BATCH III, that he distilled, and is amazing. And only $50 for 2.5 grams; but I think it's sold out.
 
@mesOUD had a sandalwood called, NTT SANDALWOOD OIL BATCH III, that he distilled, and is amazing. And only $50 for 2.5 grams; but I think it's sold out.
His first batch of NTT was full on rich well developed sandalwood, nice warm topnote bouquet, it was not lacking in any way. It was a great value, priced such that it was really wearable. as an ingredient sandalwood is powerful even in small amounts on a certain level, but I tend to need a much larger swipe of sandalwood than other oils to really enjoy it for its own sake, so I definitely appreciate value in this material in particular. I used up all of my NTT unfortunately!
 
I just swiped @Joe 's 2005 Mysore sandalwood oil again today to give it a second look - 1st impressions of oils are often superficial and sometimes can give you wrong impressions if you have smelled something in the recent past that influences your sensitivity. for example, yesterday a singular buttery note was the main thing that I was tuning into with this oil, but today I'm not noticing that in particular. That must've been due to the impact of some different sandalwood I had smelled earlier in the day on my sensitivity.

This to my nose is a nice authentic Indian album oil with quite a bit more going on than the plantation stuff - I'm not sure how to describe it but there's a mineralish layer in the top notes that I'm familiar with and have smelled a few times over the years, one about four or five different types of oil I have smelled from India. Perhaps within Mysore, trees on different slopes or different patches of woodland have slightly different aromas, or maybe it has to do with the part of the tree used (roots, trunk, branches?) or some kind processing. Today this oil seems to have a kind of mineral element in the top and heart, a kind of medicinal facet, and a warm sweet heart that define it, at least the way my nose is responding at the moment. 🙂
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
Glad it made it to you finally. It was shipped many weeks ago. USPS, gotta love 'em!
 
Last week I got the most gorgeous floral sandalwood oil. In the middle of a low week. Ill, tired.. etc..I have seriously over a hundred different sandalwood oils in my collection. This just perked me up. It is marked FIJI 2025. If anyone knows who this is from tell me. I thought maybe Mesoud because it is insanely good. But the distillation he did recently was Tongan.
Isn't that a wild oil? Did you notice a kind of Borneo camphor scent in its top notes? Very full bouquet to this oil, which was distilled from really old wood that @Loulikesoud said smelled unusually rich and complex on a burner.
 
Isn't that a wild oil? Did you notice a kind of Borneo camphor scent in its top notes? Very full bouquet to this oil, which was distilled from really old wood that @Loulikesoud said smelled unusually rich and complex on a burner.
It's exactly as you say in that everyday, I'm finding a different facet that I'm focusing on. My body responds to it and I feel waves of pleasure smelling it. Yes to mineral, yes to camphor, butter, and bouquet.
 
In NTT province, sandalwood can be divided in to two kinds.

1. The real sandalwood
Branch, trunk and roots has the same aroma but roots and the main trunk has stronger aroma than branch. The place, soils where they live will slightly impact overall aroma. But the best is a sandalwood that lives on the hills and face very hard environment very stony, very dry. The diameters of the trees might be not as big as regular sandalwood that lives on good environment but the resin that it contains very dark almost dark powerful aroma.

2. TL sandalwood.
TL sandalwood has weaker aroma and more plain but more fruity, very low alpha santalol content around 35-40. The resin pattern on the woods also different, separated each other not as a whole.

That's all what I know thank you
 
I got a sample of the Mysore classic 2025 from @An Najwa thanks @LasLunas - nice warm sweet comforting sandalwood oil, and this one gave me that kind of dry fresh snow feeling for whatever reason. This is just a first impression, I just swiped it a few minutes ago… I will share more thoughts after getting a chance to see how it unfolds but I like what I smell so far. 🙂
 
Al Hind Oud -Santalea

I fell in love with this from a sample and it was a joy to come back to it today after not wearing sandalwood for a while and find all the notes that I first fell for. It has the day lily meets resin opening that i associate with Indonesian sandalwoods, but here it’s softer than in some others I own and sits side by side with a fresh, sharp creaminess. It’s so crisp and vivid but with a dead-on sugary, deeeeep santal/ambergris tone right after the opener that carries into the long dry down where it gets a specific dry papery smell. It really does smell like ambergris, so much so that I had to pull out a couple of macerations to make sure I wasn’t imagining it. (I just looked back and saw that I’ve already raved about this oil more than once. Truth be told though, once I got my big bottle of it I ended up taking a break from all my different sandalwoods for a while so it was nice to come back to it. This sits really high in my top five.)

** I just looked on the website and he has an incredible deal on 100 ml of another Indonesian oil that I would happily split with another Ouddict or two.
 
Last edited:
Sandalwood of the day for me here is the partially concentrated (~40x) extract of 130 g of wood chips I made yesterday. 800 mL concentrated down to about 20 mL. happy with the results, a portable liquid version of sticking my nose into that jar of chips. This will likely be a kind of milky yellowish caramel once all of the alcohol is removed (this is the color of the CO2 total exteacts that I have experienced which I assume are roughly similar to this). Pretty much every extract I've ever tried is rich in the top and mids, and falls a bit short in the long tail that good distilled oils have. This makes sense because the essential oil is probably diluted to about 50(?)% strength in all of the waxes and pigments and resins
IMG_2337.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Two sandalwood oils, both from the same material, wild wood gathered in Aceh, Sumatra. This oil is distilled from shavings as opposed to pure heartwood and I think that explains the pigmentation, which is quite dark compared to the heartwood oils from literally the same region and source I have received from artisan distillers (those all have been completely clear or just a slight yellow tinge).

The bottle on the left was distilled at elevated temperature and pressure, the bottle on the right was distilled at ambient pressure and lower distillation temperatures. Both were long-term distillations made possible by some kind of temperature regulation set up… I'm trying to remember the details, @Margon explained it to me at one point, and he is the distiller of these particular oils.

The high-pressure oil has some real punch, it is sandalwood and very rich and velvety, but with a bouquet of accessory notes that compete a bit with the core sandalwood elements. I can sense the impact of the heat and pressure - very curious how folks here would respond to this on a blind sniff test.

The ambient pressure oil has a soft quality, more mineral and earthy and hints of clean soil petrichor in some ways. It brings forward a lot of of the notes I have smelled in Indonesian oils over the years which I suspect all have had some amount of shavings wood as part of the feed stock (given the huge contrast in aroma with the Aceh heartwood oils distilled by @AlHind Oud and olefaktory). this ambient pressure distillation is closer to a typical sandalwood oil while still being pretty rich in additional facets.

The shaving oils deviate a bit from the simple very high santalol heartwood oils - they make an excellent complement to the more traditional sandalwoods. total santalols are lower (recently saw a gcms of the high pressure oil) but the top and mid note aroma is more rich and complex so it's a tradeoff.

IMG_2542.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top