Tamil Nadu 2002 making me happy. Nice rich complex opening… Musky, fenugreek and maple, milky and urine adjacent notes. Long powdery tail
 
Did he release it already? I was still waiting for it.

that particular one had a very strong borneol component and smelled the whole heck of a lot like BO when it is was young. it is actually a very beautiful deep and complex sandalwood
 
that particular one had a very strong borneol component and smelled the whole heck of a lot like BO when it is was young. it is actually a very beautiful deep and complex sandalwood
That BO note is freaking weird right?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
That BO note is freaking weird right?
Borneol. as that oil ages, it is becoming more like borneol and japanese ink scent than
BO. it is quality sandalwood even though it is strange
 
Santal and Oud - Sandalwood oil (sample)

This is a clear sandalwood that smells creamy, nutty, woody, and clean. It smells so much like a Mysore SW but It’s not. It hails from East Nusa Tenggara province in Indonesia. The Alpha Santalol level is higher than Indian Mysore as per GC and GCMS tests sent to me by the purveyor. I’m definitely getting a full bottle next time around.

Hello, is it from the IG account @santal_and_oud? Did you try only sandalwood from him or also oud? Thanks!
 
I just got a hankering for Australian sandalwood and its unique dry down so I pulled out a bottle… 2007 vintage, good quality pure oil from a major producer whose name I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. I believe they blended and rectified their oils to achieve consistency in aroma and chemical profile - nice complex resinous aroma, I guess it brings myrrh to mind a little bit. I'm surprised how green and sappy it still is - I would've expected that to have softened and mellowed over the last 18 years, although I'm not sure why I would've expected that.
 
AlShareef Oudh - Mysore

Apply and forget. Neat.
It is indeed special. I rarely wear it because it’s overpowering to me. Somehow today I finally had the brilliant idea to just apply even less. Magic. The smallest dot does it for me. All the subtleties rush to the front. Much creamier this way and there’s a spiciness I’ve never noticed before. I wish I could afford more right now because I’d love to add some ambergris and pack it away for a few years. Plus it lasts forever on my skin. Thanks for reminding me of this.
 
I'm comparing 2 sandalwoods, one from Aceh (@Margon 's loss bar oil) and a new one from a distiller in Kannauj. Both Santalum album.

Smelling two really has me scratching my head and asking myself what is it exactly that most embodies my concept of sandalwood, and smelling them side-by-side really is a way to better understand the individuating characteristics of each oil. Smelling them sequentially gives you a better chance to tune in to each carefully but it relies on a fidelity of memory that I'm not sure that I have - each oil goes through so many stages and bring so many different oils from the past to mind it can get a little confusing.

Kannauj oil is decent and an immediately familiar profile… A little bit rubbery a little bit nutty, a heavy classic sandalwood sweetness prevails. Impact is warm, dense, sweet. This is not one of the especially transparent album oils... there's a fair amount going on early on. Because this presents predominantly familiar notes that I recognize from other Indian oils I find myself not having a whole lot to say about it.

Aceh loss bar has no rubberiness - there is a kind of dry / lightly spicy woodiness above all, beneath that a resonant mid level true sandalwood core with some vibrancy/tooth. There are some atlas-cedar adjacent notes here that I have encountered in somewhat aged "so-called wild" (for some of the oils I have gathered over the last 30 years, I'm not really confident of their origin) oils in the past. There is what I imagine as a kind of "jungle petrichor" - like a little pepper and mineral airiness with a sense of water and stone.
 
Last edited:
I'm comparing 2 sandalwoods, one from Aceh (@Margon 's loss bar oil) and a new one from a distiller in Kannauj. Both Santalum album.

Smelling two really has me scratching my head and asking myself what is it exactly that most embodies my concept of sandalwood, and smelling them side-by-side really is a way to better understand the individuating characteristics of each oil. Smelling them sequentially gives you a better chance to tune in to each carefully but it relies on a fidelity of memory that I'm not sure that I have - each oil goes through so many stages and bring so many different oils from the past to mind it can get a little confusing.

Kannauj oil is decent and an immediately familiar profile… A little bit rubbery a little bit nutty, a heavy classic sandalwood sweetness prevails. Impact is warm, dense, sweet. This is not one of the especially transparent album oils... there's a fair amount going on early on. Because this presents predominantly familiar notes that I recognize from other Indian oils I find myself not having a whole lot to say about it.

Aceh loss bar has no rubberiness - there is a kind of dry / lightly spicy woodiness above all, beneath that a resonant mid level true sandalwood core with some vibrancy/tooth. There are some atlas-cedar adjacent notes here that I have encountered in somewhat aged so-called wild oils in the past. There is what I imagine as a kind of "jungle petrichor" - like a little pepper and mineral airiness with a sense of water and stone.
I like jungle petrichor.
 
I'm comparing 2 sandalwoods, one from Aceh (@Margon 's loss bar oil) and a new one from a distiller in Kannauj. Both Santalum album.

Smelling two really has me scratching my head and asking myself what is it exactly that most embodies my concept of sandalwood, and smelling them side-by-side really is a way to better understand the individuating characteristics of each oil. Smelling them sequentially gives you a better chance to tune in to each carefully but it relies on a fidelity of memory that I'm not sure that I have - each oil goes through so many stages and bring so many different oils from the past to mind it can get a little confusing.

Kannauj oil is decent and an immediately familiar profile… A little bit rubbery a little bit nutty, a heavy classic sandalwood sweetness prevails. Impact is warm, dense, sweet. This is not one of the especially transparent album oils... there's a fair amount going on early on. Because this presents predominantly familiar notes that I recognize from other Indian oils I find myself not having a whole lot to say about it.

Aceh loss bar has no rubberiness - there is a kind of dry / lightly spicy woodiness above all, beneath that a resonant mid level true sandalwood core with some vibrancy/tooth. There are some atlas-cedar adjacent notes here that I have encountered in somewhat aged "so-called wild" (for some of the oils I have gathered over the last 30 years, I'm not really confident of their origin) oils in the past. There is what I imagine as a kind of "jungle petrichor" - like a little pepper and mineral airiness with a sense of water and stone.
Your post about that loss bars sandalwood oil made me thinking about abandon the sandalwood vacuum distillation , for it’s complexity and costly compared to simplicity of loss bar distillation and cheap but yet produces an oil that a master perfume himself really like 😀🙏
 
Back
Top