Enjoying my old 2002 Ramakant Tamil Nadu oil today. Wonderful stuff, today it made me realize what a great job @AlHind Oud does with his oils.
 
ASO - Mysore Sandalwood Oil

Clean, bright fresh, creamy. Perfect for Summer. I never get bored from @Al Shareef Oudh Mysore Sandalwood oil. I’m wondering what wonders I could do with my 2nd bottle. Perhaps make a 25% to mix with some oud. But it’s just too precious. I’m attached to the scent. I have other Mysore but they just aren’t the same.

IMG_1267_11zon.jpeg
 
ASO - Mysore Sandalwood Oil

Clean, bright fresh, creamy. Perfect for Summer. I never get bored from @Al Shareef Oudh Mysore Sandalwood oil. I’m wondering what wonders I could do with my 2nd bottle. Perhaps make a 25% to mix with some oud. But it’s just too precious. I’m attached to the scent. I have other Mysore but they just aren’t the same.

View attachment 49177
I was reading a book about Th he history of Japanese incense last night before bed, and it said the the phrase, “Mysore Sandalwood Oil” is actually trademarked by the Indian government. So I looked it up on wiki during my break, and it’s true.
“Mysore Sandalwood Oil” was officially registered as a Geographical Indication in 2006, under the GI Act regulated by India’s Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trademark





  • “Mysore Sandalwood Oil” was officially registered as a Geographical Indication in 2006, under the GI Act regulated by India’s Controller General of Patents, Designs & Tradema


Been enjoying samples from @Adweeya Mufriha / Scentient Nature. I tried a sandalwood oil of theirs - Mahisuru Gold Reserve. Has a classic opening - clearly fits the mold of past mysore oils i have smelled. This oil really showcases the paradox of sandalwood because the opening is quite gentle, appealing, neutral and sweet woody (with no strong still notes, no overblown butter or shavings notes, no rubbery or lily-like notes) but the oil has very good long performance. In fact it was kind of striking, I applied a pretty small swipe yesterday and for the rest of the day I was smelling quite tangible classic engaging addictive sandalwood aroma, and I was repeatedly surprised at the presence and tenacity of the base notes and dry down - this is the hallmark of a really nice sandalwood oil.
Hey @Mr.P thanksfor the referral to Scentient. Gonna explore at lunch. I told them you referred me and they offered a discount!
 
Ramah-Habzoud

Very green wet and ozonic opening with an almost petrol sharpness. The ozonic sharpness calms down after a couple hours and in turn you start getting a very rich smooth unsalted butter appearing. Near the end the green leafy nuances depart and you get just pure delicious butter. A lot of sandals butteryness is very movie-theater butter, salty as if there is flavacol in it, but this is one is just pure unadulterated butter straight from the churn. I can't speak on the new one, sandal uno, but of the other sandals from Habz this is my favorite. That opening is just so dirty clean and invigorating.
 
i'm wearing a swipe of a Yasi sandalwood oil that is the result of a collaboration between @Loulikesoud and @mesOUD

This one had some really unusual characteristics when it was fresh including a strong pungent note in the top that reminded me more of Borneo camphor than any other material. Borneol and this note are almost akin to (I hate to say it) underarm odor - an association I have had ever since I smelled the first Baieido sticks that came my way. it's a kind of human musky aroma, and this sandalwood had it in spades when it was fresh.

I smelled it again today and that borneol note is much more restrained, allowing the other aspects of this oil to shine through more clearly. It is a very very rich and complex oil, not a shy sandalwood, deep velvety fuzzy musky sweet and above all sandalwoody. Apparently this came from very old wood with a really exceptional quality on the burner and this doesn't surprise me given the fullness and complexity of the bouquet of this oil. it is very unusual and not really a substitute for regular sandalwood in a certain sense because of the unusual top notes, but very much unfolds / behaves like a classic sandalwood otherwise.

In a conversation with Lou earlier it came up that this might make an excellent material in which to infuse musk, and now that I have sat with this sample a little bit longer I can absolutely see that - it is like a complex japanese sandalwood / borneol incense or sachet accord as it stands, and I think the aroma of musk would fit into that bouquet very nicely. Not an experiment that I will conduct myself but an interesting thought.
 
Last edited:
What a beautiful childhood memory. I cherish mine that I've managed to recall.
I’m jealous of this - my only olfactory memories from growing up are farmyard cow sh*t and cut grass 🤣

Sandal Uno - Habzoud

With Habzoud there is always something unexpected about every product. Here, I was blown away by how light in colour the oil is - just a shade or two darker than water. The opening is sweetish, with lemon curd, meringues and plain ice cream over a slightly horsey, animalic note. This quickly gives way to fragrant lumber - makes me think of carpentry shops and cedarwood - as well as a mineral impression of wet rocks.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_1124.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Ramah-Habzoud

Very green wet and ozonic opening with an almost petrol sharpness. The ozonic sharpness calms down after a couple hours and in turn you start getting a very rich smooth unsalted butter appearing. Near the end the green leafy nuances depart and you get just pure delicious butter. A lot of sandals butteryness is very movie-theater butter, salty as if there is flavacol in it, but this is one is just pure unadulterated butter straight from the churn. I can't speak on the new one, sandal uno, but of the other sandals from Habz this is my favorite. That opening is just so dirty clean and invigorating.
Fantastic analysis 🙌.

Ramah is still my favourite of the Sandalwood oils I have tried to date and the most ‘complete’ as a perfume in its own right. I need to start wearing mine more!
 
Tabeer Oud Mysuru Maharaj

My initial impression months ago was deep and rich notes, no doubt brought about by higher temp distillation which lends a roasted vibe, not burnt or smokey, just a medium well roast.

Still a very nice oil though.

Although I love Yusa Aromatic’s Seijuku a lot,
I have to give a Shout Out to AlHind Oud’s
skill in distilling sandalwood😉
 
I was wondering about this oil, I've seen it offered on Etsy. I've wanted to try it, but was looking for a good review on it.
I like it quite a lot, but I have always liked the things sold by Hina. I can't tell you whether her prices are good/bad compared to others, but what I can tell you is that I find her to be very honest and helpful. I've bought a ton of stuff from her, and will be getting another package from her next week. I bought 5g of the sandalwood oil and probably will get more. It is quite nice. She also has the wood chips, which I now have quite a bit of, because a little of the chips to fill out a room in this amazing, beautiful calming fragrance.
 
Back
Top