I couldn't put it better myself @Mr.P
I wonder if 75 years is the "ripe" point for aged sandalwood? The other amazing thing about this oil is it doesn't have any of those weird atlas cedar or vinegar oxidized notes. It smells like it has the dignity of age but it is 100% pristine clean unoxidized kind of unspoiled smelling. It must've been kept under the right tempbconditions and with very little air exchange would be my guess
 
I so regret missing out on that oil. It was gone by the time I heard about it. I might ho,d or for kashmiri grains if I had enough to macerate. Even if they took me years to get hold of.
I do have some still and am tempted to use them instead of the Nepalese grains. I also want to make sure I keep this oil clear and without anything as it is such a wonderful aged scent profile.
 
Here's a treat in the fresh sandalwood category!

Still getting to know the oil but it is a good one in the @AlHind Oud style. Clean, velvety, musky, a tad medicinal. Echoes of other distillations by Anas beyond a doubt.

I'm curious to see how this one matures so I will have to pace myself here...
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_7714.webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
When it went for sale last year it was on my birthday and I tried to surprise myself by buying it. But I found out...😇
You just need to smoke more weed. If you really apply yourself you might succeed in surprising yourself in this kind of situation 😂. Easier on the body than drunken shopping sprees
 
I finished transferring the beautiful Mysore Antique 1960 Govt Factory which I purchased from @An Najwa last year. This is 65 years old now and has a deep mature scent to it. There is nothing sharp about this oil and when compared against more recent Mysore shows it's class with the added ingredient of so much time.
I am very tempted to macerate some Nepalese musk grain in perhaps 3ml quarter tola. It' something really special and am so grateful this was made available by the wonderful brother @An Najwa
I'm so glad managed to score some of this. It wasn't much as my funds weren't great at the time but I know a good and rare thing when I see it and received a gram. Really outstanding sandalwood.
 
Here's a treat in the fresh sandalwood category!

Still getting to know the oil but it is a good one in the @AlHind Oud style. Clean, velvety, musky, a tad medicinal. Echoes of other distillations by Anas beyond a doubt.

I'm curious to see how this one matures so I will have to pace myself here...
This is quite the surprise! Very different from what I was thinking it might be like. A whole new facet of sandalwood. Medicinal is a good word for it. My partner had trouble guessing it was even a sandalwood!
 
I'm so glad managed to score some of this. It wasn't much as my funds weren't great at the time but I know a good and rare thing when I see it and received a gram. Really outstanding sandalwood.
It's good to have a benchmark when assessing Sandalwood or any oil for that matter. When you smell recent batches you get a better understanding of the aging process. I do this with Oud oils as well. I have some outstanding oils from a vendor here, which are quite old. But it allows me to understand how oud notes develope as they age. An approximate.
 
Side by side comparison of Kangiiten's Tanzanian sandalwood; neat, and Kangiiten's Tanzanian sandalwood after 2 weeks with @NinjaRobb 's Siberian musk grains. With musk grains, this oil has become a rich, warm and alluring beauty.
The sweetness of the Tanzanian oil has been dialed down significantly in just weeks.
Loving where this is heading, will continue to build on it in the months ahead.
 
Tanzanian sandalwood! Is that Osyris?
 
Tabeer Oud Mysore Royale and Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore.

Wearing such an exquisite sandalwood oil as the one Tabeer has offered only makes me appreciate further the accuracy with which Lutens has captured the essence of this material in a perfume marketed toward Western people and hit the shelves back in 1997. Truly an ode to Sandalwood with no florals and nonsense distracting notes/accords that might deter, but a good amount of spices to complement and introduce it. A genius of the perfume world who knew his Oriental cuisine.
Love your reviews!
 
@YusaAromatics "Seijuku" sandalwood is the swipe of the moment. I have not had a chance to study this one all the way through from head to tail, but the balance of top notes is very appealing… woody, slightly waxy and musky, nice persistence of top notes on deep whiffs - they don't run and hide every time you try to get it closer look like they do with cheaper bulk produced oils. It's a real luxury to be able to smell this, thank you Yusa!

I hope you guys appreciate the availability of oils like this from @YusaAromatics and @AlHind Oud and @mesOUD (who am I forgetting Olefaktory was/is personally distilling small batches also). It's a golden age. I've said this before but I remember posting on the Basenotes forum and having a little discussion about how nice it would be if sandalwood ever got the artisanal attention that oud did. The single batch sandalwoods were so rare.

Here's an update- this swipe has been wafting my way all morning here, and the interplay of the musky qualities of this with some of the other fragrances I was wearing was pretty remarkable. Nice stuff that has some of the borderline animalic qualities that sandalwood sometimes has. I wonder if other people perceive this the same way?
IMG_8153.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Seijuku from @YusaAromatics is my swipe of the moment. Nice warm fuzzy profile, a bit musky, maybe a breath of camphor. I can see shared qualities with the @AlHind Oud sandalwood oils - not a surprise given that these are small batch hydrodistilled from pure select heartwood. That instills a quality of its own. Hope you all are taking a moment to appreciate the existence of these rarities.
 
Back
Top