ASO - Mysore/Tamil Nadu blend. Look at the colour of this oil! This is everything I had hoped and more. The thick maple wood notes are still there in force but now the lighter citrus of the Mysore is there as well. I'm totally expecting to still be smelling this come morning. This is a complete perfume.
1000012005.jpg
 
@Joe this is the Sandalwood oil of the Day thread. Absolutely worth reading from the very start. Lots of great information here and it may just spark back your initial love for sandalwood.
 
@Joe this is the Sandalwood oil of the Day thread. Absolutely worth reading from the very start. Lots of great information here and it may just spark back your initial love for sandalwood.
Thanks. It would be nice to love it again as I have so much oil and chips I no longer heat! I used to love the stuff. One of nature’s most soothing woods. That and rosewood, but since rosewood is endangered ill never smell it again. Alone or in composition.
 
Today I used a sandalwood/Mongolian musk maceration that was started in 2020. I subsequently added about three drops of Bulgarian rose oil in about late 2021. It starts with a sweet tangy rose scent. After a few hours the musk becomes much more pronounced and the sandalwood's normal buttery notes are suppressed. Instead it has a strong almost vanilla note to the sandalwood. It has benefitted from the near five years together. Very happy with this.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_20250605_102530.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
Sandalwood of the day is the Al Shareef Tamil Nadu CO2 extract. An engaging complex variation on the sandalwood theme, combining notes of aged sandalwood oil and sandalwood co2 extracts. Several different layers in the topnotes set it apart from the aroma of a distilled sandalwood oil, with some nice maple and fenugreek adjacent notes. Here's hoping for more solvent extracted Sandalwood in the future. 🙂
 
Sandalwood of the day is the Al Shareef Tamil Nadu CO2 extract. An engaging complex variation on the sandalwood theme, combining notes of aged sandalwood oil and sandalwood co2 extracts. Several different layers in the topnotes set it apart from the aroma of a distilled sandalwood oil, with some nice maple and fenugreek adjacent notes. Here's hoping for more solvent extracted Sandalwood in the future. 🙂
It's so good. I'm playing with the idea of blending into it some of my ASO Mysore and Siberian musk oil. What do you think?
 
It's so good. I'm playing with the idea of blending into it some of my ASO Mysore and Siberian musk oil. What do you think?

Honestly? I would not mix it with either, and keep it as a specimen. That reflects my weird fixation though...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Honestly? I would not mix it with either, and keep it as a specimen. That reflects my weird fixation though...
I agree. I tried and I can't find the CO2. I would reserve for a delight on its own instead of mixing it with steamed distilled Mysore. I've never smelled the CO2. But they're getting harder to find. My Agarwood co2 is no longer available. I like wearing it straight up as a perfume. I've used it in formulas but I'm keeping what I have left.
 
Honestly? I would not mix it with either, and keep it as a specimen. That reflects my weird fixation though...
Well that's kind of why I'm yet to do it. It's so nice just on it's own. I could just buy another bottle though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Well that's kind of why I'm yet to do it. It's so nice just on it's own. I could just buy another bottle though.

That takes a little pressure off. I have at times combined sandalwood CO2 extract with distilled oil because the CO2 extracts or more top note oriented and fade a bit in the tail compared to distilled.
 
I agree. I tried and I can't find the CO2. I would reserve for a delight on its own instead of mixing it with steamed distilled Mysore. I've never smelled the CO2. But they're getting harder to find. My Agarwood co2 is no longer available. I like wearing it straight up as a perfume. I've used it in formulas but I'm keeping what I have left.
@Joe this is the one we're talking about. He also sells a blend of Mysore distill and this absolute so he's already done the job and it's perfection.
 
Last edited:
I've had a chance to apply a couple of swipes of the new Sandalea from @AlHind Oud - enough to have a little bit of perspective on the topnote and basenotes but still very much getting to know the oil.

This morning I was struck by the fact that there seems to be a kind of signature style to the AlHind sandalwoods. There is this one pleasant sweet fuzzy aspect in the topnotes of his sandalwoods that I think of as AlHind terroir.

It doesn't dominate the experience of the oil, it's just a facet that's part of the topnote bouquet, but I think if you have smelled some of his previous distillations you will immediately recognize that slice of the aroma.

Like the others I have smelled it is a nice full clean heartwood oil - has the classic pale color and slight yellow tinge of ambient pressure heartwood oil. No accessory notes, no oddball facets, just straight clean AlHind style heartwood.

I am still tuning into the middle part of the development of the aroma but yesterday I had a really striking experience after applying a swipe and then forgetting about it. Maybe four hours after swiping I was getting this really tangible nice natural Sandalwood note, and for a moment (until I remembered what it was I was wearing) I was puzzled trying to figure out why the sandalwood was smelling so good. I am looking forward to seeing how today's wearing goes.
 
Back
Top