‘Sandalwood OilS of the Day’

I think I’m trippin
[Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
 
Looks great! Whats your top 3 sandalwood oils that youve tried?
Sorry. Can’t. Its so difficult to do that. Each one has something unique to offer.

If I had to get a back up bottle from what’s being offered today, I’ll get a bottle each of:
@Al Shareef Oudh Mysore. The one in the pic is from ‘18 and it blows my mind everytime I take a swipe. It feels unreal.

@An Najwa Vintage Mysore. It’s what dreams are made of. This one is mythical.

@Tabeer_Oud Mysuru Maharaj. Classic, no B.S santal. Pure bliss
I can write on and on for each of these oils. And, I already feel bad leaving all the other babies out 😃
 
I was checking out a video about one of the Sandalwood oils released by kyarazen / kangiiten. In this case it's the sandalwood reverie (a resinoid i believe). This post is about the extraction technique, not the oil itself which I haven't smelled. It's nice seeing some solvent extracted Sandalwood being sold, between this and the Tamil Nadu absolute from ASO though and I would love to smell this oil at some point.



They shared a video showing a complicated piece of glassware with something rotating in the middle and a brownish oil accumulating in a flask at the bottom. I was very curious about the technique being used and what kind of extraction was being undertaken as the apparatus was not something I was familiar with. I dug a bit and learned something here, and I feel like it was worth sharing with the rest of you (but this is about extraction and not about the oil).



So the device being shown was a falling film evaporator which is basically a variation on the rotovap that is used to separate the solvent from solvent extracts to concentrate them down into resinoids or absolutes.



What the contraption does is it takes saturated solvent from a maceration and slowly drips it into a chamber where a mechanical device spreads it into a very thin film across the surface of a heated glass tube (which allows the solvent to evaporate almost immediately without prolonged exposure to heat). By the time the extract has dripped to the bottom of the tube most of the solvent has evaporated and a purified oil is what accumulates.



Basically if you have ever tried to evaporate a tincture by spreading it into a thin layer on the bottom of a baking dish and gently heating, this is a device that pushes that to it's logical conclusion. A pretty clever way to separate highly volatile solvents!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_5634.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
At first I thought you were talking about Kugelrohr, which would do the same thing. This is just a short path wiped (or in this case, falling) film extractor.

This apparatus has a short residence time, can be done in vacuo, and can be used to strip off terpenes and whatnot.
 
At first I thought you were talking about Kugelrohr, which would do the same thing. This is just a short path wiped (or in this case, falling) film extractor.

This apparatus has a short residence time, can be done in vacuo, and can be used to strip off terpenes and whatnot.

That's it. I was pleased with myself for figuring out what it was and wanted to share when I learned here. 🙂
 
I was checking out a video about one of the Sandalwood oils released by kyarazen / kangiiten. In this case it's the sandalwood reverie (a resinoid i believe). This post is about the extraction technique, not the oil itself which I haven't smelled. It's nice seeing some solvent extracted Sandalwood being sold, between this and the Tamil Nadu absolute from ASO though and I would love to smell this oil at some point.



They shared a video showing a complicated piece of glassware with something rotating in the middle and a brownish oil accumulating in a flask at the bottom. I was very curious about the technique being used and what kind of extraction was being undertaken as the apparatus was not something I was familiar with. I dug a bit and learned something here, and I feel like it was worth sharing with the rest of you (but this is about extraction and not about the oil).



So the device being shown was a falling film evaporator which is basically a variation on the rotovap that is used to separate the solvent from solvent extracts to concentrate them down into resinoids or absolutes.



What the contraption does is it takes saturated solvent from a maceration and slowly drips it into a chamber where a mechanical device spreads it into a very thin film across the surface of a heated glass tube (which allows the solvent to evaporate almost immediately without prolonged exposure to heat). By the time the extract has dripped to the bottom of the tube most of the solvent has evaporated and a purified oil is what accumulates.



Basically if you have ever tried to evaporate a tincture by spreading it into a thin layer on the bottom of a baking dish and gently heating, this is a device that pushes that to it's logical conclusion. A pretty clever way to separate highly volatile solvents!
That is a vertical kugelrohr that they are using. It's a pretty standard lab set up if you want to separate materials in this case evaporation of the solvent. I guess the interesting element in the kugelrohr is the use of the vacuum which reduces the pressure on the distillation. It is debatable whether in a sandalwood solvent extraction this would be the best tool, I would be interested to know the final % of residual solvent in the oil.
 
Came back from Saudi last night to my Habzoud order in the UK. I tried all three sandalwood oils in the bundle without referring to the notes on the website.

Ramah is the clear winner in terms of first impressions. It opens with wet hay, somewhat animalic, as though a horse has been lying in that hay for a while. Then cream and melted butter begin to show themselves. I have to say that these are my favourite notes in sandalwood - it’s quite astonishing to me that a log of wood can emit those aromas so convincingly. As I’m sitting here about 1 hr later, I’m starting to detect slight notes of citrus - leaning toward mandarin orange or clementine - like panna cotta with mandarin segments. This is really nice stuff.

I’m heading off again but will be back this weekend to hopefully spend more time with the other two oils.
 
Came back from Saudi last night to my Habzoud order in the UK. I tried all three sandalwood oils in the bundle without referring to the notes on the website.

Ramah is the clear winner in terms of first impressions. It opens with wet hay, somewhat animalic, as though a horse has been lying in that hay for a while. Then cream and melted butter begin to show themselves. I have to say that these are my favourite notes in sandalwood - it’s quite astonishing to me that a log of wood can emit those aromas so convincingly. As I’m sitting here about 1 hr later, I’m starting to detect slight notes of citrus - leaning toward mandarin orange or clementine - like panna cotta with mandarin segments. This is really nice stuff.

I’m heading off again but will be back this weekend to hopefully spend more time with the other two oils.
It's a big favourite for me as well.😁
 
Here's my sandalwood oil of the day - good stuff from Indonesia - this is ambient pressure distillation of shavings wood. Nice full aroma and good persistence. 🙂 Crazy color for a sandalwood oil! As of a year ago the only dark oils like this that I had ever seen were either solvent or CO2 extracts. I think the dark pigmentation has something to do with the fact that it's coming from the shavings, because EJayB's oil from heartwood from the same forest was the typical pale yellow.

IMG_5693.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Vacuum shavings oil from @Margon today. The vacuum oil is pale, cloudy, quite a different color from the brown loss-bar oil, even though it's from the same basic material. Distilled at reduced pressure and temperature (70C) for 5 days followed by a full temp distillation to pull out base notes. Aroma is a combination of classic sandalwood heartwood aroma with various delicate floral and green facets floating on top that are quite pleasant. I have not had a chance to do more than an initial wearing - some more detailed notes or associations will follow. I keep picking up on these creamy Jasminum polyanthum-like notes floating past my nose...
IMG_5708.jpeg
 
Got a chance to sniff Seijuku from @YusaAromatics ! It is sandalwood season around here I guess because I've smelled more Sandalwood in the last four weeks than in a while...

These small batch fine oils are so interesting and it's very clear to see the connection between this distillate and some of the things that @AlHind Oud has been producing. You can sense the high quality of materials and care in distillation, and these small batch Artisanal oils seem to form a kind of group in my nose. Each of them has some unique personality, some little identifying facet or three that is embedded in the rich Sandalwood core. None of them have a kind or average or generic profile, but for me at least it takes some time to turn into the unique aspect of the oil.

It seems with blended oil made from lots of combined wood, the individual characteristics get averaged out and it may have few unique facets even if it's of very fine quality, unlike these small batch distillations.

The oil has a beautiful soft warm fuzzy top note, multiple intersecting facets - sweet, woody, warm, fuzzy, and muted floral. A sense of "thickness". another beautiful small batch sandalwood oil.

I remember back in the basenotes days posting some thing asking why there was all of this wonderful small batch aloeswood but literally zero small batch artisanal Sandalwood. As in nobody showing even a single bottle of it online anywhere. Talk about a radical change in the market!

IMG_5769.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Tabeer Oud Mysore Maharaj

Strong and Deep……enough said😎
My personal favorite.

Closest aroma to this was from a Santal Midi Mysore Capsule.

I had a dozen sealed Santal Midi bottles, around four of them specifically stated Mysore Sandalwood. Some bottles had capsules that were bland, maybe due to storage, but a couple of the Mysore ones were great.
 
This loss bar oil from @Margon has been part of my EDC from the moment i sniffed it. I decided enough of the tiny little sample bottle, I'm going to carry one of these glass flaçons - more luxurious and it does not leak at all if it is closed mindfully. pretty durable, so I feel like it's a minimal risk to carry it with me. This oil has an aroma that I would describe as a kind of water quality… It's like the smell of an environment that is rich in water, almost a type of petrichor. Then there is dry woodiness with good endurance over a classic glossy sandalwood heart. I love the stuff. I want to help @Margon sell his amazing oil, but I had the miserly urge keep it to myself, not reveal my source, have it be my secret. I highly recommend this particular source of sandalwood!



IMG_5978.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top