I imagine if you wanted to you could blend some of this with a sandalwood oil and make both go further?

This blend here is the tamil nadu which is an absolute, blended with our Mysore oil which is distilled. This in my opinion provides a complete Indian Sandalwood experience. It utilise the two best source for Indian Sandalwood, Mysore and Tamil Nadu, and it utilise both extraction and distilled. It is a true give way for that price.
 
I just swiped some of the @An Najwa contemporary Mysore sandalwood and the Mysore @mesOUD used to stock.

The Mesoud leans a little more musky / nutty and the An Najwa a little more floral / lily note (though there is perhaps 85%+ overlap to their aromas).

Both are solid performers, the kind of sandalwood you can apply in the afternoon and still smell the next morning.
 

This blend here is the tamil nadu which is an absolute, blended with our Mysore oil which is distilled. This in my opinion provides a complete Indian Sandalwood experience. It utilise the two best source for Indian Sandalwood, Mysore and Tamil Nadu, and it utilise both extraction and distilled. It is a true give way for that price.
At what ratio did you blend the two may I ask? I have some Siberian grains macerating in a bottle of your Mysore and I may put the absolute and musk together at some point. Both would be strong components I guess so I might also add some straight up sandalwood oil to blend the two together? Actually, I also have some vintage sandalwood currently with white and brown ambergris soaking in it. I could use that to marry the two. Just musing here.
 
@RisingPhoenix, “Kupang Imperial” and JK’s 2014 LaoShan Monkoh. Serene, powdery sticks; astounding depth and texture in the oil, like a faceted gem full of brilliance.

It is night and raining now, the soft stillness of santal is mirrored by the clouds and gentle patter outside. I cannot resist adding a coil of Nha Trang, adding a touch of warmth to the moon-cool clouds.
 
Last edited:
At what ratio did you blend the two may I ask? I have some Siberian grains macerating in a bottle of your Mysore and I may put the absolute and musk together at some point. Both would be strong components I guess so I might also add some straight up sandalwood oil to blend the two together? Actually, I also have some vintage sandalwood currently with white and brown ambergris soaking in it. I could use that to marry the two. Just musing here.
Our Mysore is ideal for musk, you can soften the animalic of the musk by adding the Tamil in equal ratios. Ambergris would go really well with our indian sandalwood blend
 
On a plane to New Zealand. Sadly a no Oud day for economy seating. I am however wearing Habzoud - Ramah Mysore. Flying straight and true like a spear.
Would be interesting to smell a Sandalwood selected by Habzoud 🙂
 
Mysuru 2 from @AlHind Oud

i've been wearing a lot of Sandalwood these last couple weeks trying to better understand the material. I mentioned last time i swiped that this oil has some kind of wild sweet facet that reminds me of that one note that you sometimes get in Borneo oud oil. It almost seems impossible that this same accord could somehow be emerging from the resonance of the different things that make up a Sandalwood on the one hand and oud on the other, but somehow here it is again today. Very nice oil, very much hitting like sandalwood heartwood oil, but smelling mildly oud-like on a certain level. The rich santalol heart is there and the delightful long lasting powdery dry down begins to be evident early on. Delicious... More glossy sweet oudy oily powdery than dry-woody, nutty or buttery.
 
What a blessing it is to be able to come here and share experiences with fellow vendors and fellow, passionate collectors, experiences that would otherwise be dispersed to the wind, and never spoken of.

Oil made from Yamadamatsu bead scrap, acquired in 2017 from JK’s @RisingPhoenix sourcing trip to Japan. The aroma descends like golden robes, folds folding over folds, encompassing the body. A luminous effect, like a ray of sunshine, pierces the heart, and I feel myself lifted.
 
Tried @Al Shareef Oudh ’s TN sandalwood again. The top notes make me so happy. It’s woody, piney and one other major note that I don’t know.
The more I smell this the more I feel this would go so well as a blend in traditional Mysore+musk. I might even try that.
I get a note akin to maple and atlas cedar in that oil that make it distinct from others.
 
That could be it. Maple! It is woody-sweetish!
I am yet to understand how atlas-cedar smells. So that could be the unknown note that is so clearly visible.

The atlas cedar note is a peculiar one - it is something that generally only shows up in Sandalwood that is on the older side and emerges it seems from aging/oxidation, even in oils with no sign of it when fresh. it doesn't show up in all old oils but I've yet to smell it in a fresh one.
 
To revive an old discussion about the possible colors of sandalwood, here is a comparison of some of my Ceylon Santal with two vacuum distilled oils from JK @RisingPhoenix, “Kupang Imperial” and “Sumba Imperial”, both 2022 releases.

The aroma of the Ceylon Santal is very dry, with a firm texture, pronounced in the mid-palate, with a cedar note. The two vacuum extractions are very different from this, exhibiting notes that jammy, sweet, and syrupy, with a smooth, encompassing embrace of the palate, with a pine note.

The Kupang Imperial has the sweet maple note @Mr.P
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_5205.webp
    118.3 KB · Views: 90
Very much enjoying the @mesOUD Mysore sandalwood - something nice about the woodiness in this specimen, can't put it into words. 🙂

Interesting stuff, Maunomoku!
 
Last edited:
my own distillation of santalum austrocaledonicum tonight! opening is intense wet grey stone, followed by grassy florals before drying to a creamy sandalwood finish
Nice to see the update on this. Must be so gratifying to have a bottle of your own home-distilled sandalwood oil. 😀
 
Last edited:
Back
Top