2 bar oil from @Margon - interesting oil and one of a handful of oils that has me realizing that I still have a lot to learn about sandalwood. This oil is a pale straw color, similar to 95% of the oils I've seen. This is in contrast with the loss bar / ambient oil which was a reddish brown and considerably darker. (FYI Both oils are from shavings wood, distilled with some kind of special temperature control setup that allows for longer-term extraction without overheating or scorching if I understand right).

The 2 bar oil high pressure oil has some of the nutty / milky type top notes that I have smelled in Indian oils but usually the notes are present in a much more restrained way. This also has what I think of as the unique Indonesian Sandalwood terroir - an added dry woody toothy facet - greatly boosted over but I am used to smelling in Sandalwood oil. There is also a savory rich warm note that I don't recall smelling before, something unique to this high pressure extraction - it reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it - it has a "felty" quality - thick and fuzzy.

Seems like it could be a good oil to use to boost / enrich the scent of a sandalwood perfume or attar that has a more typical mild plantation heartwood oil as its base, or to get sandalwood top notes that can punch through a blend without having to add a huge amount of sandalwood oil.
 
@Margon Sandalwood oil is what I be sniffing.

The 2 bar oil on my left wrist, the loss bar on the right. The loss bar has this unique aspect - a kind of "damp jungle air" vibe (that is the best i can describe for now) that somehow shifts into a dry powdery classic (based on my stash) rich Indonesian sandalwood vibe. Cuffs of my coat sleeves are smelling soooo good because i have been dabbing this for days and nothing really sticks and builds quite like good sandalwood. What I find this loss bar oil brings to the table is a nice rich persistent mid register woodiness that is just 100% sandalwood woodiness, of the Indonesian terroir but not over blown and fully backed by that nice heavy santalol note.

I'll tell you, there is nothing like a good Sandalwood binge 😂 just wear that stuff until it's everywhere and everything smells like whatever Sandalwood you are getting into… you, your sweaters, pillowcase, sheets, comforter, jackets... things are coming out of the dryer still smelling like Sandalwood... paradise.
 
Last edited:
Tamil Nadu - ASO. I've only had this a day so am yet to give it full and proper attention but it's really like nothing else I've come across (in a sandalwood) anyway. The colour is a deep amber/orange and it's very thick and viscous. Smells nice off the dipstick and after an initial swipe it settles down quickly like a kitten getting comfortable nestled against you. It's warm and soft and doesn't seem to do much for a good while. In fact you may even forget you have applied it. It's like it needs to get to know you first before it leaps out and yells Hello!! This is exactly what happened. All of a sudden I'm in a sandalwood scented version of paradise. This oil wants to become a part of you before it reveals itself and performs for a remarkably long time.
 
Can someone explain the process at which this Tamil Nadu from ASO was extracted? The description says a solvent was used not traditional hydro distillation. It's really something different and not like any sandalwood oil I have tried before. I'm pretty sure it's now my number 1 sandalwood.
I thought it was a solvent extracted absolute. That means an initial extraction in a hydrocarbon, then evaporation of the hydrocarbon to make a concrete. Following this, an alcohol extraction is made of the concrete, then removal of the alcohol leaves the absolute.

I would expect that material to be especially fine, actually. I have an absolute from New Caledonian wood that is a really wonderful material and I imagine the same thing prepared from nice Tamil Nadu heartwood would be amazing. I'm curious, do you get anything vaguely akin to Maple or fenugreek? It's something I've noticed in a couple of oils from Tamil Nadu but I'm not sure if it's a true regional profile or not.
 
Last edited:
I thought it was a solvent extracted absolute. That means an initial extraction in a hydrocarbon, then evaporation of the hydrocarbon to make a concrete. Following this, an alcohol extraction is made of the concrete, then removal of the alcohol leaves the absolute.

I would expect that material to be especially fine, actually. I have an absolute from New Caledonian wood that is a really wonderful material and I imagine the same thing prepared from nice Tamil Nadu heartwood would be amazing. I'm curious, do you get anything vaguely again to Maple or fenugreek? It's something I've noticed in a couple of oils from Tamil Nadu but I'm not sure if it's a true regional profile or not.
Yes, you're correct. It is an absolute. I remember reading that. You've actually hit the nail on the head with Maple. I was trying to figure what I was smelling that was unique to this yesterday and I was leaning towards honey but wasn't 100% on that. It's definitely maple.
 
Yes, you're correct. It is an absolute. I remember reading that. You've actually hit the nail on the head with Maple. I was trying to figure what I was smelling that was unique to this yesterday and I was leaning towards honey but wasn't 100% on that. It's definitely maple.
Fan freaking tastic!
 
Tamil nadu - Al Shareef Oud

I haven't smelled many sandalwood oils in my life, but I can tell that this is something unbelievable

Initially it started off quite punchy, mentholic and resinous, the resinous note reminding me very much of a toned down frankincense, and some sweetness. After about half an hour, I'm smelling a combination of earthy and sweet accented woodiness, an there's this syrupy quality which I think @Olfactory Nomad and @Mr.P mentioned as maple syrup which I 100% agree with. Throughout the whole experience, I haven't encountered any off-putting notes. The problem with my description is I can't do the oil justice, you have to smell it to understand and appreciate the complexity of it. This is probably my favourite sandalwood oil so far
 
Tamil nadu - Al Shareef Oud

I haven't smelled many sandalwood oils in my life, but I can tell that this is something unbelievable

Initially it started off quite punchy, mentholic and resinous, the resinous note reminding me very much of a toned down frankincense, and some sweetness. After about half an hour, I'm smelling a combination of earthy and sweet accented woodiness, an there's this syrupy quality which I think @Olfactory Nomad and @Mr.P mentioned as maple syrup which I 100% agree with. Throughout the whole experience, I haven't encountered any off-putting notes. The problem with my description is I can't do the oil justice, you have to smell it to understand and appreciate the complexity of it. This is probably my favourite sandalwood oil so far
I love good Tamil Nadu oil and I'm sure this is tasty stuff.
 
I got a small specimen of the ASO tamil Nadu absolute oil thanks to @SophMarie . Interesting stuff, definitely brings my other sandalwood absolute to mind, and has some nuances that i pick up from sandalwood CO2 as well.

First impression: Like my CO2 oils, this has complex full and "felty" top notes that have traction with the olfactory system. Has a maple / caramel facet and has some "aged" notes - an almost atlas cedar like quality that sometimes emerges as sandalwood ages, along with a slight tartness or acetic acid scent. Also like all my sandalwood solvent extracts this has some generic woody notes along with classic sandalwood notes that get picked up - it's a complex woody bouquet that features the traditional Sandalwood notes along with many others. I find that aspect of the solvent extracts to be very pleasant and a good compliment to (as opposed to substitute for) the distilled oil. I also think that I get a little bit of an enhanced vanillin type sweetness in the heart of this oil. It's fun how some of these extracts really pull out the top notes, which are generally quite mild for the distilled sandalwood oil (compared to other essential oils.)
 
Last edited:
I got a small specimen of the ASO tamil Nadu absolute oil thanks to @SophMarie . Interesting stuff, definitely brings my other sandalwood absolute to mind, and has some nuances that i pick up from sandalwood CO2 as well.

First impression: Like my CO2 oils, this has complex full and "felty" top notes that have traction with the olfactory system. Has a maple / caramel facet and has some "aged" notes - an almost atlas cedar like quality that sometimes emerges as sandalwood ages, along with a slight tartness or acetic acid scent. Also like all my sandalwood solvent extracts this has some generic woody notes along with classic sandalwood notes that get picked up - it's a complex woody bouquet that features the traditional Sandalwood notes along with many others. I find that aspect of the solvent extracts to be very pleasant and a good compliment to (as opposed to substitute for) the distilled oil. I also think that I get a little bit of an enhanced vanillin type sweetness in the heart of this oil. It's fun how some of these extracts really pull out the top notes, which are generally quite mild for the distilled sandalwood oil (compared to other essential oils.)
I imagine if you wanted to you could blend some of this with a sandalwood oil and make both go further?
 
I imagine if you wanted to you could blend some of this with a sandalwood oil and make both go further?

I think so! I haven't produced one myself but I can picture some kind of beautiful balanced blend of the steam distilled oil and solvent extracts to get a more complete sandalwood aroma. The extracts engage the nose right away and then the essential oils lay down that 8 to 12 hour lasting tail.

Could be useful for getting Sandalwood to show as a clear note in the top notes of a perfume as well I think.

I have no idea what the practicality is for making a product like this but I think it would be great to be able to have a selection of solvent extracts along with the essential oils. absolutes, resinoids, carbon dioxide select and total extracts etc. I wonder why these are not seen on the market?
 
Last edited:
I think so! I haven't produced one myself but I can picture some kind of beautiful balanced blend of the steam distilled oil and solvent extracts to get a more complete sandalwood aroma. The extracts engage the nose right away and then the essential oils lay down that 8 to 12 hour lasting tail.

Could be useful for getting Sandalwood to show as a clear note in the top notes of a perfume as well I think.

I have no idea what the practicality is for making a product like this but I think it would be great to be able to have a selection of solvent extracts along with the essential oils. absolutes, resinoids, carbon dioxide select and total extracts etc. I wonder why these are not seen on the market?
Dunno? Maybe you have just spotted a hole in the market?
 
I think so! I haven't produced one myself but I can picture some kind of beautiful balanced blend of the steam distilled oil and solvent extracts to get a more complete sandalwood aroma. The extracts engage the nose right away and then the essential oils lay down that 8 to 12 hour lasting tail.

Could be useful for getting Sandalwood to show as a clear note in the top notes of a perfume as well I think.

I have no idea what the practicality is for making a product like this but I think it would be great to be able to have a selection of solvent extracts along with the essential oils. absolutes, resinoids, carbon dioxide select and total extracts etc. I wonder why these are not seen on the market?
@Mr.P,

We need to do this. I've got a rotary evaporator, really nice 2 L soxhlet, pure hexane, pure ethanol. I was going to get going with the CO2 but it's lack of material and time. I am so busy in the months coming ahead, I'm actually willing to ship much of this to you if you have the time to pursue it. Open offer, sir! You are, in my eyes, the resident sandalwood connoisseur so I think the blending should be up to you.

Lou
 
@Mr.P,

We need to do this. I've got a rotary evaporator, really nice 2 L soxhlet, pure hexane, pure ethanol. I was going to get going with the CO2 but it's lack of material and time. I am so busy in the months coming ahead, I'm actually willing to ship much of this to you if you have the time to pursue it. Open offer, sir! You are, in my eyes, the resident sandalwood connoisseur so I think the blending should be up to you.

Lou

I like the sound of that… Not sure what exactly you have in mind but generally I'm on board with things that involve mucking about with sandalwood!
 
IMG_5449.jpeg



Here's some crazy sandalwood oil. This came from Jay / EJayB, it is from the shavings cut away during the separation of heart wood. This oil came from his collaboration with @Margon and when I purchased it I recall him saying that this was pulled from shavings at reduced pressure basically a vacuum distillation.

This oil is a top note oriented Sandalwood with some really unusual intersecting facets all of which are quite pleasant. First of all there's this one particular woody note that in my mind is only associated with oil from Indonesia - this note is present to varying degrees in the oils I have smelled from this region and I am beginning to wonder if this means the batches of oil that I have purchased had varying amounts of shavings thrown in with the heartwood. I actually have more thoughts on that, and I wouldn't want anybody to confuse my thoughts for fact… I'm describing patterns in the samples that I have gotten my hands on and nothing more.

What leads me to post this today was a really unusual sweet waxy floral note in this oil right there after I first applied it, some facet of grandiflorum jasmine sprang to mind more than anything else... it's gone now just a few minutes later but this is the first time I really tuned into it this clearly.

This oil… In a way it is clearly a Santalum album oil, but on another level it's almost as out there as Australian spicatum. If you're familiar with that oil there are these very distinct woody and resinous notes in the opening that you don't see in Indian heartwood oil at all... kind of a vaguely parallel situation. Super useful material to have because heartwood oil can be quite mellow and low lying and this is great topnote material for anyone working on structured Sandalwood blends. That's something I plan to tackle for my own amusement.
 
I slathered on a bunch of the @Margon loss bar oil last night after trying the olefaktory oil and woke up this morning surrounded by beautiful rich sandalwood aroma. Absolutely a delight. There are all kinds of wonderful fragrant materials out there each of which has its own charm, but there's absolutely nothing remotely like the aroma of a really good Sandalwood oil many hours after application. And nothing else quite like it when it comes to performance and endurance on skin (except for maybe solvent extractions of oud because the other thing that I was smelling when I woke up was a general Vietnamese sinensis residue, thanks to the trail from some ck CO2 extract I applied yesterday as well). Nice experience...
 
Back
Top