@AlHind Oud Sandalea indonesian heartwood oil on my forearm today. Lovely opening to this luxurious oil.
 
Been enjoying samples from @Adweeya Mufriha / Scentient Nature. I tried a sandalwood oil of theirs - Mahisuru Gold Reserve. Has a classic opening - clearly fits the mold of past mysore oils i have smelled. This oil really showcases the paradox of sandalwood because the opening is quite gentle, appealing, neutral and sweet woody (with no strong still notes, no overblown butter or shavings notes, no rubbery or lily-like notes) but the oil has very good long performance. In fact it was kind of striking, I applied a pretty small swipe yesterday and for the rest of the day I was smelling quite tangible classic engaging addictive sandalwood aroma, and I was repeatedly surprised at the presence and tenacity of the base notes and dry down - this is the hallmark of a really nice sandalwood oil.
 
Been enjoying samples from @Adweeya Mufriha / Scentient Nature. I tried a sandalwood oil of theirs - Mahisuru Gold Reserve. Has a classic opening - clearly fits the mold of past mysore oils i have smelled. This oil really showcases the paradox of sandalwood because the opening is quite gentle, appealing, neutral and sweet woody (with no strong still notes, no overblown butter or shavings notes, no rubbery or lily-like notes) but the oil has very good long performance. In fact it was kind of striking, I applied a pretty small swipe yesterday and for the rest of the day I was smelling quite tangible classic engaging addictive sandalwood aroma, and I was repeatedly surprised at the presence and tenacity of the base notes and dry down - this is the hallmark of a really nice sandalwood oil.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience :praying:

Happy you enjoyed it !
It is an oil I am fond of wearing. Here, I perceive the opening as warm, welcoming, balanced and gourmand, and then love the long yummy ride that you described so well.

It was quite the challenge trying to give you an idea of our sandalwood offerings through three oils.
As I wrote through pm, I could have nerded for ages, lol. I opted for this one as a classic reference (Mysore / heartwood done traditionally and well), triangulating with the two other ones, which are more singular, infused by different terroirs and distilled from root systems.
 
ASO's Tamil Nadu Sandalwood

Wow I'm am surprised on just how unique this oil is. I am initially hit with this dark resinous sweetness that reminds me of maple hard candies. There is still in the background very faint whiffs of butter and green dewy leaves, notes I often find picking up with sandalwoods. The woodiness in this oil almost comes off as dusty like an antique jewelry box. There is also a spiciness to this oil too, which the closest I can describe it is nutmeg-esque. After 6 hours it is still robust in profile, but faint in strength. Fully dried down it comes together to smell like hot canned bread being cut on a wooden board.
 
Santalea from @AlHind Oud

Interesting and distinctive profile, I am experiencing it differently today and it's reminding me of an old oil in my collection. I wish I could verbalize what I am smelling - in addition to the now familiar Al Hind sandalwood vibe, there are some facets that set this apart from the others: there is a kind of hard edge in there... not peppery but "hard" like the smell of black pepper - some assertive thread that is kind of earthy, soil oriented, and perhaps a bit mineral-like. The unique facets of this oil are not sweet or floral or buttery - more earthy, woody, dry maybe a tad waxy in aroma. Great specimen!
[Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
 
Maharaj by Tabeer Oud
Sundar by Craft Oud
Mysore by An Najwa

Each oil does speak gently, and sings melodiously. Mysore Sandal has multiple shades, but all are present within the signature scent of Mysore Sandal. At least for the last four or five years, no oil could beat, better say even compete, Craft Oud and Tabeer Oud Mysore Sandalwood oils. But it is just a personal take of mine.
 
ما شاء الله
Its been a long time since I saw your post
Hope all is well with you

I personally prefer Sweet, woody and creamy, instead of loud sharp and citrusy ones.
The aroma when we get upon heating Old Mysore roots on slow heat, that is unmatchable
I enjoy it the most. Better say, Sometime more than Agarwood.
And that’s what i search for in Mysore oils
So far i could only find this true to wood aroma in Vintage Mysore oils and that too specifically from Govt. Factory oils.
 
ما شاء الله
Its been a long time since I saw your post
Hope all is well with you

I personally prefer Sweet, woody and creamy, instead of loud sharp and citrusy ones.
The aroma when we get upon heating Old Mysore roots on slow heat, that is unmatchable
I enjoy it the most. Better say, Sometime more than Agarwood.
And that’s what i search for in Mysore oils
So far i could only find this true to wood aroma in Vintage Mysore oils and that too specifically from Govt. Factory oils.
And the one by An Najwa is surely woody creamy. And this profile is authentic signature of Mysore Sandal.
 
Maharaj by Tabeer Oud
Sundar by Craft Oud
Mysore by An Najwa

Each oil does speak gently, and sings melodiously. Mysore Sandal has multiple shades, but all are present within the signature scent of Mysore Sandal. At least for the last four or five years, no oil could beat, better say even compete, Craft Oud and Tabeer Oud Mysore Sandalwood oils. But it is just a personal take of mine.
Respect, Khansahib :handok:
 
some indonesian sandalwood courtesy @Encenser

my first time (knowingly) smelling indonesian sandal... really loving this one, fresh & comforting, reminds me slightly of one of habz's i tried ages ago. will definitely want more

Glad to hear it!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
2002 Tamil Nadu whole tree ambient multi -week deg distillation from WLA / Ramakant. Such a delicious rich warmth to this oil. I rarely wear it because I dread running out, but I have about 4 ounces of this and it's time I started enjoying it more, so I decanted some into one of the small prototype tester bottles that I've been considering.
IMG_9153.jpeg
 
Wearing Tamil Nadu from ASO today. Another day of me wearing an oil and then topping it off with a swipe of RBO's Taif Rose. This sandal was always very sweet and syrupy and when combined with that wonderful rose it comes off as a turkish delight. The rose fades faster than the sandalwood, so near the end the sandal provides me with the same molasses drydown that reminds me of canned bread when I wear it plain. Overall, a delicious gourmand experience.
 
Back
Top