Photos of old puerh tea.
i) 1980s Menghai Ripe Teacake wrapped in plastic
ii) Broken pieces of 1980s teacake
I haven't gotten used to the vegetalliness of aged raw, do you have any tricks to soften the transition? I'm okay with a clear aged ripe, the aged taste provides so much complexity to an already delicious cup, but for raw the aged taste to me isn't too great, and often overwhelming.
 
I haven't gotten used to the vegetalliness of aged raw, do you have any tricks to soften the transition? I'm okay with a clear aged ripe, the aged taste provides so much complexity to an already delicious cup, but for raw the aged taste to me isn't too great, and often overwhelming.

If an age raw still presents vegetable/green notes it means that it still has a long way to go towards reaching full maturity. I've had a 1980s raw tea that was dry stored and it was sweet and fruity but still giving a rough sensation in the mouth. Some people will mix in some ripe puerh to their raw to soften the tea. You could try that. Using bottled water like Iceland and even certain clay pots I find can also help to soften the roughness in tea.
 
If an age raw still presents vegetable/green notes it means that it still has a long way to go towards reaching full maturity. I've had a 1980s raw tea that was dry stored and it was sweet and fruity but still giving a rough sensation in the mouth. Some people will mix in some ripe puerh to their raw to soften the tea. You could try that. Using bottled water like Iceland and even certain clay pots I find can also help to soften the roughness in tea.
Hm, The raws that iv'e tried have only been from the 90s. it's not that fresh vegetal taste that you get in a 5 year raw it's more of an old weed type of taste, like really harsh old vegetal notes.
 
Hm, The raws that iv'e tried have only been from the 90s. it's not that fresh vegetal taste that you get in a 5 year raw it's more of an old weed type of taste, like really harsh old vegetal notes.

As you know 1990s green puerh tea can still have a long ways to go to be considered fully mature. Do you have the full teacake, can you share some photos?
 
@VPhong, dear, you will definitely grad me in another addiction- tea and coffee'. Of course, I do love them, but the way you talk about them, that makes me intoxicated. Believe me. You yourself gets dissolved into tea. I love this quality. Hope I will go for tea. So you HAVE to be my master. No way out. You have started this thread, so you will lead. Or stop writing about tea:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:.
 
Dear Rai Munir, I would be happy to offer guidance should you wish to start a tea journey but for now I must bid you good night as it is quite late from where I am. 🙂
 
This days I feel stressful from coffee I can only drink it in morning but if I drink it after that I can't sleep maybe because I'm getting older!

So In night I try to drink only normal things...

Yesterday I make that lovely mix milk with Spanish saffron and swiss coca 64% with wild honey from Brunei jungle the honey taste are different than our sidr honey is less sweet with sour I really like it...

[Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
 
Last edited:
For me, super dark coffee with Assamese/Bengali oud goes really well. Speaking of that, I'll have to grab a bottle of Sultan's Cafe Ambre Noir. He now made it even better than before!

We drink milk tea (chai) at least twice a day. When it's cold, I love dark roasted full bodies Sumatran coffee. I like it quite strong, say at least 5-6 tea spoon of fresh coffee ground on a Bialetti (stove top). If I fancy, I occasionally will add some ground cardamom seed & cinnamon. Ever since trying Yemeni coffee with cardimom flavour, my love for coffeee just got even better. An Egyptian housemate and good friend of mine is to blame for that! 😀
 
Dear Mandeel, that looks wonderful. I also love wild honey and cacao.

I understand how you feel. Although I don’t drink much coffee but stimulating teas like green tea, lightly processed oolongs, some red teas will affect me, especially if I forget my limits. These things I never had to think about when I was younger. I am also more careful with my eating as a result. That said, I have learned much from these changes. I have become more observant to how my body reacts to certain food and drinks. This has taught me a lot about the power of food and finding what is right for me.

Physically we are getting older but let us keep our minds young dear friend.:thumbsup::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:🙂
 
I have been taking a rest from the olfactory enjoyment of oud as I recover from the lingering effects of the cold. This however does not stop me from enjoying oud altogether. I decided to use a thermo to steep a combination of 50 y/o Liubao tea with a small piece of oud chip. I left it for 2 hours to allow for a deep extraction of flavors. The brew is satisfying dark, being rich and deep in flavor. The tea has an age character with notes of earth and traditional Chinese medicine. This combines very well with the mildly sweet and incense like aroma from the oud. Despite the dark color, the taste is soft, rich and comforting.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
    smIMG_20171208_104553.webp
    30 KB · Views: 397
  • [Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
    smIMG_20171208_131615.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 363
I have been taking a rest from the olfactory enjoyment of oud as I recover from the lingering effects of the cold. This however does not stop me from enjoying oud altogether. I decided to use a thermo to steep a combination of 50 y/o Liubao tea with a small piece of oud chip. I left it for 2 hours to allow for a deep extraction of flavors. The brew is satisfying dark, being rich and deep in flavor. The tea has an age character with notes of earth and traditional Chinese medicine. This combines very well with the mildly sweet and incense like aroma from the oud. Despite the dark color, the taste is soft, rich and comforting.

Thank God for your safety weather this days cold here also in Kuwait...
 
[Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
this tea is one I tried before and the aged taste was overpowering, but now I think I’ve gotten used to it, as the taste is much better and I’m picking up more complex notes. Aswell I find if you keep drinking right about the 4th steep the aged taste will recede and the real flavors of the tea will come out.
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Tea or Coffee
this tea is one I tried before and the aged taste was overpowering, but now I think I’ve gotten used to it, as the taste is much better and I’m picking up more complex notes. Aswell I find if you keep drinking right about the 4th steep the aged taste will recede and the real flavors of the tea will come out.

Nice picture. Looks traditional (wet) stored. I always find it challenging to seek out a good puerh tea in this category as most are not very good. Glad that you are enjoying this one. 🙂

REF "I find if you keep drinking right about the 4th steep the aged taste will recede and the real flavors of the tea will come out." Aged taste? Perhaps it is the wet storage taste that is giving that initial funk or not too clean character.
 
Back
Top