Hi everyone,

Originally from Indonesia, but I currently switch back and forth between Bangkok and Chicago. Hobbies revolve around martial arts, football, and perfumery! I've always loved fragrance since I was young, but my serious journey started when I worked as a salesperson for an apothecary in Chicago selling "niche" fragrances. My first serious fragrance would be Black Afgano from Nasomatto. Later on I would be introduced to real oud by the people from Oudimentary, and explored making French-style perfumes as a hobby. I'm always keen to find oud chips and oils now when I come home to SE Asia, and I found this forum while looking for information on oud, and how to not to get snake-oiled by sellers.

My current favorite oud right now is some wild Maluku Halmahera chips that I have as it has the smell of iris when burnt, and some subintegra Malinau oil.

Nice to meet you all and happy that I found this forum!
Welcome to the community and glad you found us. Plenty of threads to go through and read up on. Plenty of information to get stuck into. Look forward to your contribution.
 
Hello Everyone,

Wishing you all peace, prosperity and unity in a world where deceptive division is sold cheaply.

My name is Ali and I am originally Indian by birth but I stay in Bahrain now for all my life.

My poisons of love are three; Oudh (all scents and materials too), Coffee (artisanal/sepeciality only), watches (most kinds).

While they are kind all stringing from one common core of love for the fine things full of details that require a skill of keen observation. I believe probably the only skill I have is that of keen observation to the minutest details, thinking about it, finding more about it and speaking about it. I also deal in a lot of philosophy of things and patterns because if these three things combined with my skill. I have been and still am a professional speaker, speaking at corporate keynotes, functions etc on various topics mostly centered on life motivation and living experiences.

My biggest weakness is and something I strive to improve everyday is: to keep my opinion to myself and never force it on others, as like me others and everyone also has an opinion that is as valid as mine, if not more. I definitely can't know everything ever. Hopefully this weakness won't show up here ever. haha.

I have so far only experienced cultivated oud, organic cultivated oud, wild oud.... and I do love them all for what they are at their individual prices. I am yet to experience, understand and value artisanal oud .. and it's something I look forward to essentially.

While I don't mean to distill my own oud in the near future, but I am keenly interested in macerations, blending, any form of extraction (except any alcohol based ones), etc kind of methods and will often be found playing with these things and trying and sharing outcomes and asking about them.

Surely I will be buying from many of the forum members various things like oud, essential oils, fragrance oils, apparatus, rare precious fragrance materials like Misk and ambergris etc in the near future. as well as oils and creations of various sellers to appreciate and understand their art as well as to enjoy the lovely legendary creations.

See you all around on the forum and in sales deals.

I have no doubt I will receive only kindness and sharing from all of you, as I have seen that already in my interactions, you are all a shinning beacon of selflessness to me, to say the least.

Thank you to the admins and founders for this awesome forum that at its core is full of love of the human spirit, which is just guided by the material of scent for further love.

May all of us always have such hobbies and passions that unite us regardless of our various varieties and bind us in love, we are the peace of this world and its purpose.

Regards and best wishes of good health,

Ali

(apologies also that I am late in introducing myself and went into threads before that, please forgive.)
 
Hello Everyone,

Wishing you all peace, prosperity and unity in a world where deceptive division is sold cheaply.

My name is Ali and I am originally Indian by birth but I stay in Bahrain now for all my life.

My poisons of love are three; Oudh (all scents and materials too), Coffee (artisanal/sepeciality only), watches (most kinds).

While they are kind all stringing from one common core of love for the fine things full of details that require a skill of keen observation. I believe probably the only skill I have is that of keen observation to the minutest details, thinking about it, finding more about it and speaking about it. I also deal in a lot of philosophy of things and patterns because if these three things combined with my skill. I have been and still am a professional speaker, speaking at corporate keynotes, functions etc on various topics mostly centered on life motivation and living experiences.

My biggest weakness is and something I strive to improve everyday is: to keep my opinion to myself and never force it on others, as like me others and everyone also has an opinion that is as valid as mine, if not more. I definitely can't know everything ever. Hopefully this weakness won't show up here ever. haha.

I have so far only experienced cultivated oud, organic cultivated oud, wild oud.... and I do love them all for what they are at their individual prices. I am yet to experience, understand and value artisanal oud .. and it's something I look forward to essentially.

While I don't mean to distill my own oud in the near future, but I am keenly interested in macerations, blending, any form of extraction (except any alcohol based ones), etc kind of methods and will often be found playing with these things and trying and sharing outcomes and asking about them.

Surely I will be buying from many of the forum members various things like oud, essential oils, fragrance oils, apparatus, rare precious fragrance materials like Misk and ambergris etc in the near future. as well as oils and creations of various sellers to appreciate and understand their art as well as to enjoy the lovely legendary creations.

See you all around on the forum and in sales deals.

I have no doubt I will receive only kindness and sharing from all of you, as I have seen that already in my interactions, you are all a shinning beacon of selflessness to me, to say the least.

Thank you to the admins and founders for this awesome forum that at its core is full of love of the human spirit, which is just guided by the material of scent for further love.

May all of us always have such hobbies and passions that unite us regardless of our various varieties and bind us in love, we are the peace of this world and its purpose.

Regards and best wishes of good health,

Ali

(apologies also that I am late in introducing myself and went into threads before that, please forgive.)
You are most welcome @asrar merchant
I do hope you enjoy your time here. A very informative community and excellent distillers of the craft are right here.
 
Hi everyone,

Originally from Indonesia, but I currently switch back and forth between Bangkok and Chicago. Hobbies revolve around martial arts, football, and perfumery! I've always loved fragrance since I was young, but my serious journey started when I worked as a salesperson for an apothecary in Chicago selling "niche" fragrances. My first serious fragrance would be Black Afgano from Nasomatto. Later on I would be introduced to real oud by the people from Oudimentary, and explored making French-style perfumes as a hobby. I'm always keen to find oud chips and oils now when I come home to SE Asia, and I found this forum while looking for information on oud, and how to not to get snake-oiled by sellers.

My current favorite oud right now is some wild Maluku Halmahera chips that I have as it has the smell of iris when burnt, and some subintegra Malinau oil.

Nice to meet you all and happy that I found this forum!
Welcome Syuhada, Selamat Datang!
 
Hello Everyone,

Wishing you all peace, prosperity and unity in a world where deceptive division is sold cheaply.

My name is Ali and I am originally Indian by birth but I stay in Bahrain now for all my life.

My poisons of love are three; Oudh (all scents and materials too), Coffee (artisanal/sepeciality only), watches (most kinds).

While they are kind all stringing from one common core of love for the fine things full of details that require a skill of keen observation. I believe probably the only skill I have is that of keen observation to the minutest details, thinking about it, finding more about it and speaking about it. I also deal in a lot of philosophy of things and patterns because if these three things combined with my skill. I have been and still am a professional speaker, speaking at corporate keynotes, functions etc on various topics mostly centered on life motivation and living experiences.

My biggest weakness is and something I strive to improve everyday is: to keep my opinion to myself and never force it on others, as like me others and everyone also has an opinion that is as valid as mine, if not more. I definitely can't know everything ever. Hopefully this weakness won't show up here ever. haha.

I have so far only experienced cultivated oud, organic cultivated oud, wild oud.... and I do love them all for what they are at their individual prices. I am yet to experience, understand and value artisanal oud .. and it's something I look forward to essentially.

While I don't mean to distill my own oud in the near future, but I am keenly interested in macerations, blending, any form of extraction (except any alcohol based ones), etc kind of methods and will often be found playing with these things and trying and sharing outcomes and asking about them.

Surely I will be buying from many of the forum members various things like oud, essential oils, fragrance oils, apparatus, rare precious fragrance materials like Misk and ambergris etc in the near future. as well as oils and creations of various sellers to appreciate and understand their art as well as to enjoy the lovely legendary creations.

See you all around on the forum and in sales deals.

I have no doubt I will receive only kindness and sharing from all of you, as I have seen that already in my interactions, you are all a shinning beacon of selflessness to me, to say the least.

Thank you to the admins and founders for this awesome forum that at its core is full of love of the human spirit, which is just guided by the material of scent for further love.

May all of us always have such hobbies and passions that unite us regardless of our various varieties and bind us in love, we are the peace of this world and its purpose.

Regards and best wishes of good health,

Ali

(apologies also that I am late in introducing myself and went into threads before that, please forgive.)
Saw your message after I replied earlier post, welcome to the forum Br. Ali!

I share a passion for watches too, although focused on a particular niche. Love your varied interests here.
 
New members can introduce themselves here, where you're from? What oud you like? Whats your hobbies and anything else you wish to share
Hello!!
New members can introduce themselves here, where you're from? What oud you like? Whats your hobbies and anything else you wish to share
Hello, everyone! Im brand new to oud. In so excited to explore this world, as in my culture oud is worthy of such high praise, and i simply must know what high quality oud smells, feels like. Particularly, i care about sustainable oud. I want to know my oud is sourced sustainably, with no harm to others. I want people to relish the beauty of this art and to me a key of that is sustainable production. So i look forward to meeting you all and being introduced into quality oud!
 
New members can introduce themselves here, where you're from? What oud you like? Whats your hobbies and anything else you wish to share
Hey! I'm Danish, and I'm based in Perth, WA. I've only been exposed to real oud for about a year now, and my favourite ouds are from the house of Ensar, I can't decide between Private Blend HK and Oud Rex. I hope to explore the vast knowledge of oud here, as I first stumbled upon this forum while researching the different regional profiles. My hobbies are photography and videography, and I've started to turn them into a side hustle 🙂
 
Hey! I'm Danish, and I'm based in Perth, WA. I've only been exposed to real oud for about a year now, and my favourite ouds are from the house of Ensar, I can't decide between Private Blend HK and Oud Rex. I hope to explore the vast knowledge of oud here, as I first stumbled upon this forum while researching the different regional profiles. My hobbies are photography and videography, and I've started to turn them into a side hustle 🙂
You are most welcome here. A lot of people start of with Ensar Oud but once you start reading here you will quite quickly realize that the distillers/vendors on here are absolutely bristling with new releases every week. I too had only experienced Ensar's oils but thankfully finding this community opened the door wider. Look forward to your posts.
 
You are most welcome here. A lot of people start of with Ensar Oud but once you start reading here you will quite quickly realize that the distillers/vendors on here are absolutely bristling with new releases every week. I too had only experienced Ensar's oils but thankfully finding this community opened the door wider. Look forward to your posts.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Aster 🙂 I'm really looking forward to this oud journey; I'm starting off with Al Shareef's oud chips.
 
long time lurker coming into the light : ) originally from northern california, based in paris now. woodworker for a living (& the woodshop is where the obsession w scent really began)... had been experimenting with naturals blends sort of on my own for ages-- a gift of hindi wood chips from a friend a few years sent me down the oud rabbit hole & here i am (still an absolute enthused novice.) bless everyone here for their generous spirit & enthusiasm, has been such a great learning resource & inspiration.
 
long time lurker coming into the light : ) originally from northern california, based in paris now. woodworker for a living (& the woodshop is where the obsession w scent really began)... had been experimenting with naturals blends sort of on my own for ages-- a gift of hindi wood chips from a friend a few years sent me down the oud rabbit hole & here i am (still an absolute enthused novice.) bless everyone here for their generous spirit & enthusiasm, has been such a great learning resource & inspiration.
I can imagine the range of fragrances you must encounter when working with wood is amazing. I have found my experience splitting firewood to resonate with my appreciation of oud!
Welcome (into the light)
 
I can imagine the range of fragrances you must encounter when working with wood is amazing. I have found my experience splitting firewood to resonate with my appreciation of oud!
Welcome (into the light)
thanks very much-- your threads here & on basenotes re: naturals were big for me @Mr.P

definitely, even freshly cut plywood can smell so heady (tho you definitely don't want to inhale it.) also there are many parallel concepts (imo) between woodworking & scents, i.e. craftsmanship that strives to showcase natural forms vs. highly "composed"/designed idioms... and all the nuances involved in both (a nakashima table looks "raw" but requires extreme precision.)

also lots of parallels, aesthetic & social, as well between the oud trade & natural wine (another industry i've worked in p extensively)... curious that there hasn't been a perfume equivalent of the natural wine revolution here in france. probably a whole book to write about that one : )
 
Happy to hear the posts spark interest.

I'm hoping there will be some kind of a natural fragrance revolution because seems like all I keep hearing is about more and more restrictions imposed by IFRA. France seems like as good a place for it to start as any - i'm not that familiar with the natural wine revolution but that sounds like a potential source for a model of how to get things started... 🙂

I can see a connection between woodworking (when capitalizing on the natural/intrinsic unique qualities of each piece of wood rather than trying to shape all kinds of different pieces of wood into a single form) and making natural perfumes - it seems way more productive to work with the intrinsic beauty of a natural material and hang things on that than to try to force materials to match a preconceived fragrance. Anyway nice to meet you look forward to hearing your thoughts
 
I realized I never introduced myself properly
I’m Saoud from Qatar, my age is greying temples (you figure it out)
I’ve been blessed with the ability to travel to over a dozen countries in my life, which is something I love to do.
I read a lot in my spare time, and ride my horse whenever I can.
I also research, restore, and collect antique weaponry from the Middle East.

I’ve been unfortunately cursed with my mother’s nose, as I have a weaker than average smelling ability, mix that with smoking for half my life. And add to that the after effects of COVID.
BUT! That’s exactly why I enjoy oud so much, and perfumery, and good smelling things in general, which made me lean more towards funky barnyard leathery scents in the beginning of my obsession with perfumes, because I could actually smell them, and because my nose is dull enough that it doesn’t bother me or disgust me like some people.
But I’ve trained my nose and I continue to do so, slowly but surely I’m able to pick up the subtle notes and hints.
I was trying one of my least favorite oud oils today and I picked up a new scent. Marmalade! A beautiful, juicy, sweet undeniable marmalade smell that I’ve never noticed before. It made my day.
 
I realized I never introduced myself properly
I’m Saoud from Qatar, my age is greying temples (you figure it out)
I’ve been blessed with the ability to travel to over a dozen countries in my life, which is something I love to do.
I read a lot in my spare time, and ride my horse whenever I can.
I also research, restore, and collect antique weaponry from the Middle East.

I’ve been unfortunately cursed with my mother’s nose, as I have a weaker than average smelling ability, mix that with smoking for half my life. And add to that the after effects of COVID.
BUT! That’s exactly why I enjoy oud so much, and perfumery, and good smelling things in general, which made me lean more towards funky barnyard leathery scents in the beginning of my obsession with perfumes, because I could actually smell them, and because my nose is dull enough that it doesn’t bother me or disgust me like some people.
But I’ve trained my nose and I continue to do so, slowly but surely I’m able to pick up the subtle notes and hints.
I was trying one of my least favorite oud oils today and I picked up a new scent. Marmalade! A beautiful, juicy, sweet undeniable marmalade smell that I’ve never noticed before. It made my day.
Nice to meet you
 
AlSalam Aleakom.
Hi every one, My nickname is Abdul, From UAE
An amateur and lover of everything related to oud since childhood, I am honored to join you in this wonderful forum. I look forward to gain from your Knowledge & experiences in this hobby
وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله، مرحبا بك شرفتنا.
Welcome brother, hope you have fun and learn and share your experiences
 
AlSalam Aleakom.
Hi every one, My nickname is Abdul, From UAE
An amateur and lover of everything related to oud since childhood, I am honored to join you in this wonderful forum. I look forward to gain from your Knowledge & experiences in this hobby
Welcome aboard !
 
Bonjour, salam alaykum à tout le forum, je viens de France j'étais déjà un amoureux du mukhallat, du oud, de l'encens, de la parfumerie...
En cherchant des fournitures pour faire ma propre macération je suis tombée sur ce forum qui est une mine d'or !
Un véritable refuge pour les passionnés
 
Top