I got a bottle of Sandalwood oil in the mail from RK sons today. It is a different batch clearly from the previous but as usual smells like it’s good quality. The real test of the sandalwood is its characteristics over time, especially many hours after application, so while it is still too early for me to say 100% how this compares to the quality of their previous oils (which have all been excellent), on first inspection I am pretty sure that this will turn out to be another good one.
 
I got a bottle of Sandalwood oil in the mail from RK sons today. It is a different batch clearly from the previous but as usual smells like it’s good quality. The real test of the sandalwood is its characteristics over time, especially many hours after application, so while it is still too early for me to say 100% how this compares to the quality of their previous oils (which have all been excellent), on first inspection I am pretty sure that this will turn out to be another good one.
Do you have any of his old oils that have aged with you? How have they aged?
 
I have a bit of every Rksons sandalwood oil I have ordered. We’re only talking three batches spread across five(?) years here (and I had a sample once of a much older batch but that I used up). The quality seems to be maintained even since 2008 or so.

I can’t really comment on aging, other than to say they are holding up well, and in the small partial bottles with a little airspace (change happens faster in this case) they are definitely getting smoother and more refined in scent in the good way, like those sesquiterpene alcohols are starting to oxidize a bit and give it more character.

I was just checking in to post an update on the recent batch I purchased in fact, so it’s nice to find a comment from you here, ASO!

My thoughts: The new batch has a good topnote, it smells of quality Sandalwood, and has a good deep ā€œfuzzā€, it does not smell freshly distilled, and it does not smell like root oil so I am happy. Each of the batches I have ordered had a distinct scent in some way. All are solidly within the Sandalwood profile so I am talking about subtle nuances not the predominant scent of course. one is more floral in its top, like a Mysore oil i smelled decanted from one of the quality old aluminum flasks. the second oil is rich and almost musky, reminds me of a hydrodistilled Tamil Nadu oil I have, though it was not as complex and multilayered.

This latest batch is a bit smoother in the top note more of a dry cool wood profile i very much appreciate along with the usual santalol buttery creamy top notes. no faint flowers or musk, just smooth sweet cool wood.

If I had to guess a region I would say Tamil Nadu but that’s not because I have enough familiarity with different regions really to be an expert by any means. I just happen to know the Tamil Nadu profile in particular (or think I do) So my guess is it is from Tamil Nadu or another region that has a similar profile.

Speaking of regions, I haven’t smelled solid Mysore oil in so long that I’m beginning to forget what the profile was when the wood was good.

I’ve been wearing a lot of Sandalwood oil these days and am desensitized to it at this point so take the review with a big grain of salt.

I should’ve taken a week off while waiting for this oil to arrive but instead I’ve been comparing and wearing lots of sandal with these last 10 days.

The price is absurd even with express shipping and I keep fearing the quality will drop every time I reorder, but so far so good!

I’m still going to hold off on saying anything about how it holds up long term (8-24 hours on skin) compared to other quality sandalwoods in my stash until I am confident. This for me is how I identify the gooooood stuff, and this oil will wind up in one and two categories in my stash because for me it really divides sandalwood oils into two distinct categories, regardless of the top notes. I especially love the oils that really give you that endless Sandalwood fuzz.

[that was way too much to type on my phone - forgive any gibberish]
 
Last edited:
you really should if you get the chance . Everything I have tried by them is exceptional
will do when i get to it i have a big list of stuff to vist over time but got scent the recent catalogue anything you would recommend first when i eventually vist?
 
Eid Mubarak to all the celebrating people.
I am a Mukhallat myself today. This arrived on the day of eid, grateful to God.

Scent for the special prayer today was my very favorite EO 3.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
will do when i get to it i have a big list of stuff to vist over time but got scent the recent catalogue anything you would recommend first when i eventually vist?
It depends on your tastes but everything I have tried in exceptional quality . Rose Imaginaire is stunning . the latest release Sillage is great . Royal Balm is a nice one to start with and one of the lower priced ones . King Saffron .... Laurent will send sample strips with your order if you want to check others in the line
 
It depends on your tastes but everything I have tried in exceptional quality . Rose Imaginaire is stunning . the latest release Sillage is great . Royal Balm is a nice one to start with and one of the lower priced ones . King Saffron .... Laurent will send sample strips with your order if you want to check others in the line
Rose I’m EXTREMELY
picky about rose if it’s to Dewey on skin it s a no go also nice heater I have it as well very nice especially with a swipe of very purple oud oil like emperor of Kedah.

Il take ur recomendations with laurent to mind
 
Purple flowers?
 
Trying the Rising Mysore by Dixit & Zak, very interesting notes.

Hate the opening blast of Alcohol, chokes me every time. Green Indian aromatics, Bay leaf, Jasmine, Orange, Spices, Sandalwood. It's delightful, last longer than I hoped for an Artisan Perfume.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top