new releases of elixir, etna on the left and tarim on the right. just received and have a hectic day so will have to pay more attention in future wearings

etna is a beautiful chypre in the vein of elixirs iris chypre. it’s got a base that is perfectly powdered in the way i associate with old european perfumery. the top note is very bombastic. i’ve never smelled genet flower but this is very juicy and lush with wafts of vanilla and delicate florals with a mouth watering quality that is also very refined. i don’t get the ash accord, but this is extremely well blended and so teasing notes apart is tough for me, perfectly refined and delicate scent

tarim, very interesting one. i spilled half this bottle on opening so now it’s even more precious- amateur mistake on my part. on first application i couldn’t detect the tripura oud at all, or not what i thought to associate with it based off limited experience. initially it is a blast of jasmine which evolves to become muskier, i think this is because the deer musk is macerated in the jasmine, i was surprised seeing it
might be a heavy floral musk attar but it’s such a beautiful note that i would be very happy if the composition stopped here. twenty minutes in i detect more spices- saffron and ambery goodness and then i finally pick up the oud. no funk at all but definitely accentuates the spicy accord and adds smokiness and as i continue to wear these slightly smokey and spicy facets take the center stage as the jasmine becomes less dominant. further on the jasmine fades, the incensey oud mixes with the mineralic ambergris. really beautiful and complex and clean transitions amazing how it evolves and shifts
 
Last edited:
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
80% ALD Aquilaria Blossom
20% White Ambergris Tincture

Letting it sit for now⏳
 
tuberose essential oil that I distilled from a batch of concrete from France. Smells like… tuberose absolute in 10x form. Not my favorite oil. There was no real transformation during distillation, unlike when I tried this with jasmine concrete.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    54E994F9-9DF8-450D-B029-4575312772FC.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 98
tuberose essential oil that I distilled from a batch of concrete from France. Smells like… tuberose absolute in 10x form. Not my favorite oil. There was no real transformation during distillation, unlike when I tried this with jasmine concrete.
Tuberose is tricky, it is difficult neat, it easily drowns everything, but if you use it in very small ratios with some florals and a little wood, does wonders
 
tuberose essential oil that I distilled from a batch of concrete from France. Smells like… tuberose absolute in 10x form. Not my favorite oil. There was no real transformation during distillation, unlike when I tried this with jasmine concrete.
Nice work........
 
ALD/AA Aquilaria Blossom. I’m struck by the almost sophomoric commentary on this one. It is nimbly blended and contains some truly stunning Oud specimens, including a drop-dead gorgeous Cambodi profile which transmutes a valency of smokiness into some unapologetic ‘stranger things’-type dark, floral entity. When the dust clears (and time performs its magic), I believe this will be reëvaluated and highly sought after.
 
Blu-Agar Aura

Not sure where to start with this one. If you’ve smelled Le Cheikh Boheme, theres a pronounced sourness to it and Blu has that too…but a different flavor. The sour accord is really the only parallel I can draw to LCB, but both LCB and Blu are quite different than the previous AA’s. At first I thought that was a bad thing, then grew to love LCB very quickly.

Anyway, on to Blu.
For me Blu is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In short, from a foot away it’s a blue, sunny, slightly tart blueberry that softens up with a Mysore Sandalwood type aspect within the first 5-10 minutes as it dries (in part due to the Brunei oud, which I learned).
But there’s another opening to this as well..it’s a tough one for me but if I dig right in, gently and up close, I get what I describe as a turpentiney oud alongside a very clean and unintrusive vetiver, some sort of cooling effect that seems to come as an illusion rather than something “minty”, and some aspects I am not experienced enough to describe but most likely result from ouds he used. I have never smelled a Taha oud clean, only in his blends.

The drydown is a gentle but very present oud, warmed by the sun, pink and purple with morning sunlight warming it, is how I envision it.

Absolutely excellent. On the surface it‘s like an all natural blue, almost aquatic scent, but dig your nose in and all the ingredients start to slowly reveal themselves…and it’s very dynamic. Shape shifter for sure. The ouds in this are awesome. Wish I could smell the Brunei by itself, what I think is the Brunei anyway. I can’t resist. I have to say it….
Yer My BOY Blu!!!
 
“High grade” Australian sandalwood oil bought from White Lotus many years ago. This sandalwood oil is so musky - it really calls out to be the oil in a good Siberian musk maceration.

Things being the way they are with the world and with musk I don’t know if I’ll ever actually have any Siberian musk to macerate in this, but I have a couple of big bottles stashed away should the opportunity present itself.

Anyone tried macerating musk in Australian sandalwood oil?
 
Blu-Agar Aura

Not sure where to start with this one. If you’ve smelled Le Cheikh Boheme, theres a pronounced sourness to it and Blu has that too…but a different flavor. The sour accord is really the only parallel I can draw to LCB, but both LCB and Blu are quite different than the previous AA’s. At first I thought that was a bad thing, then grew to love LCB very quickly.

Anyway, on to Blu.
For me Blu is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. In short, from a foot away it’s a blue, sunny, slightly tart blueberry that softens up with a Mysore Sandalwood type aspect within the first 5-10 minutes as it dries (in part due to the Brunei oud, which I learned).
But there’s another opening to this as well..it’s a tough one for me but if I dig right in, gently and up close, I get what I describe as a turpentiney oud alongside a very clean and unintrusive vetiver, some sort of cooling effect that seems to come as an illusion rather than something “minty”, and some aspects I am not experienced enough to describe but most likely result from ouds he used. I have never smelled a Taha oud clean, only in his blends.

The drydown is a gentle but very present oud, warmed by the sun, pink and purple with morning sunlight warming it, is how I envision it.

Absolutely excellent. On the surface it‘s like an all natural blue, almost aquatic scent, but dig your nose in and all the ingredients start to slowly reveal themselves…and it’s very dynamic. Shape shifter for sure. The ouds in this are awesome. Wish I could smell the Brunei by itself, what I think is the Brunei anyway. I can’t resist. I have to say it….
Yer My BOY Bl

“High grade” Australian sandalwood oil bought from White Lotus many years ago. This sandalwood oil is so musky - it really calls out to be the oil in a good Siberian musk maceration.

Things being the way they are with the world and with musk I don’t know if I’ll ever actually have any Siberian musk to macerate in this, but I have a couple of big bottles stashed away should the opportunity present itself.

Anyone tried macerating musk in Australian sandalwood oil?
Not yet!
But I have been reading and gathering information on this region and by all accounts this is becoming larger on my radar.
I am looking into sourcing some Australian sandalwood for this process.
I have used @Hamza H Tongan aged sandalwood with Siberian musk and it gives off a very vibrant fresh sea scent in the bottle.
The ambergris and musk was about 10% but really is different from the Mysore sandalwood scent profile of the other macerations.
But Australian I have not tried yet.....
 
Well it might be a terrible idea but my nose insists.
 
Nangarhar Rose macerated in Kashmiri Musk: I would remain thankful to dear Faheem (IO) who suggested me to macerate musk in only rose. I can digest only a dab, not a swipe. So strong and so beautiful. This power and energy present in Kashmiri Musk is what has captivated me for years.
 
Tried Blueshido 2020 from RPP - this is such a complicated one, it's hard to put my finger on it. At opening, I sense that it's both warm and cool, both sweet and salty at the same time. There is a coolness that pierce through my head that i suspect is from the blue lotus, and a spicy warmth with furry animalistic feeling. Then the drydown gets into a warmer feeling and sandalwood starts to take over. The last couple hours i get solid sandalwood that is creamy and nutty. A bit strong for my personal preference but an interesting composition for sure. Wearing this one is quite an experience.
 
Also tried Thai Khao Yai Oud Attar 2021 from RPP today - This attar opens up zesty and vibrant, very pleasant. The oud adds a component of depth to it, then it turns to a solid woody, creamy, and nutty sandalwood base. There is nothing offensive about it, just pleasant vibe, great for everyday wear.
 
It’s been crazy weather in Northern California this summer , snow in may , freezing cold all June with rain and clouds and now rain in July with swampy humid conditions.
Not the best oud weather honestly so I’m going outside the box with a fennel seed Doug fir blend distilled at home and on my farm
Quite refreshing and bright !
 
Back
Top