Ishraaq - Al Shareef Oudh. I’ve owned this since its launch a couple of years ago. In my opinion, it’s one of the most successful spray perfumes to be released by a traditional Oud / Attar house. It was my favourite spray perfume, until ASO released Elevation which is on another level once again!

It follows a house signature you also smell in Al Ghaliyah II, Teeb II, Elevation - a complex, dark Oudy, musky, sweet resinous profile. A refined old world masculine. It evokes the feeling of Arabic royalty, blended with the sophistication of a French master. I see perfume in colour & Ishraaq is purple, black, blood red & orange.

The cooling effect of the Cardamom & Rose in the top notes contrasts well with the deep incensey antique Malaysian Oud, Musk, Ambergris & resins. A rounded resinous sweetness in the base, Cuban Tobacco, Labdanum & a glorious Leather accord.

There is nothing out of place in Ishraaq, the perfect dosage of smoky incense, animalics, no barnyard etc, just pure finesse. I wear this one into the office with the confidence I smell dignified. My sister who hates perfumes, has commented multiple times on how lovely it smells.
 
Last edited:
The wonderful Kishmir by @An Najwa

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Ishraaq - Al Shareef Oudh. I’ve owned this since its launch a couple of years ago. In my opinion, it’s one of the most successful spray perfumes to be released by a traditional Oud / Attar house. It was my favourite spray perfume, until ASO released Elevation which is on another level once again!

It follows a house signature you also smell in Al Ghaliyah II, Teeb II, Elevation - a complex, dark Oudy, musky, sweet resinous profile. A refined old world masculine. It evokes the feeling of Arabic royalty, blended with the sophistication of a French master. I see perfume in colour & Ishraaq is purple, black, blood red & orange.

The cooling effect of the Cardamom & Rose in the top notes contrasts well with the deep incensey antique Malaysian Oud, Musk, Ambergris & resins. A rounded resinous sweetness in the base, Cuban Tobacco, Labdanum & a glorious Leather accord.

There is nothing out of place in Ishraaq, the perfect dosage of smoky incense, animalics, no barnyard etc, just pure finesse. I wear this one into the office with the confidence I smell dignified. My sister who hates perfumes, has commented multiple times on how lovely it smells.
I have a bottle of Ishraaq in the mail to me right now. It's taking a little bit longer than expected because of the New Year. To say I'm excited is an understatement... I'm currently refreshing the tracking page every hour hoping for updates 😛

I can't wait to try this one.
 
I’ve been working on a personal fragrance - just one bottle and i am working in a more casual way since I don’t need to be able to reproduce the exact recipe later. Sometimes it is fun to do a little bit of unstructured blending just to complement the carefully developed and recorded mixes (in a weird way I hope NOT to achieve something amazing this way that i will regret not writing all the details about.). I hope this is a prototype for some superior future blend that is developed methodically.

Basically i started this by making an eau de cologne the classic way, in which the bulk of the fragrance is made via codistillation the (citrus and herb oils and fresh herbs macerated and hydrodistilled together followed by adding orange blossom, petitgrain sur fleurs, etc.) a little orris as well. I’ve been experimenting with some additives to the cologne to make it a little more masculine and enduring - my goal is to get a base layer that has an aroma akin to the shoyeido herb/spice masala that often forms part of the recipe for their higher end sticks. Some sandalwood and helichrysum, and a handful of savory/spice elements from japanese incense traditions (i have a handful of the herbs and oils to pick from like clove, star anise, haisoko, reiryoko, oud, borneol, turmeric, kaempferiea, spikenard, cypriol, benzoin, kunroku, costus, myrrh, etc).

So far it’s smelling pretty good -I am enjoying the less structured process
 
Last edited:
Sheikh Khalifa 2017 - Rising Phoenix.
One of the best Hindi Oud / Taif Rose attars I’ve smelt, my favourite composition of JK’s. It’s been a good friend to me over the last couple of years!
An overdose of superb bright, citrusy, minty Taif Rose on a base of leathery, sweetly resinous aged Hindi Oud. A well judged Saffron in the heart.
Simple, yet masterfully executed. The high grade of the raw materials plus the synergy of these 3 notes makes for a very pleasing experience indeed.
 
Last edited:
I’m never sure exactly where to post things like this, but it will eventually be in a mukh of some kind. Maybe we need a “home cooking” section if this thread is really intended for reviews of existing products.

I am tincturing some of the patchouli leaves that I collected in the autumn. I stuffed the jar and then topped it off with alcohol about 1 minute before the pic below was taken, i will see where it is at in a month.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Ishraaq - Al Shareef Oudh. I’ve owned this since its launch a couple of years ago. In my opinion, it’s one of the most successful spray perfumes to be released by a traditional Oud / Attar house. It was my favourite spray perfume, until ASO released Elevation which is on another level once again!

It follows a house signature you also smell in Al Ghaliyah II, Teeb II, Elevation - a complex, dark Oudy, musky, sweet resinous profile. A refined old world masculine. It evokes the feeling of Arabic royalty, blended with the sophistication of a French master. I see perfume in colour & Ishraaq is purple, black, blood red & orange.

The cooling effect of the Cardamom & Rose in the top notes contrasts well with the deep incensey antique Malaysian Oud, Musk, Ambergris & resins. A rounded resinous sweetness in the base, Cuban Tobacco, Labdanum & a glorious Leather accord.

There is nothing out of place in Ishraaq, the perfect dosage of smoky incense, animalics, no barnyard etc, just pure finesse. I wear this one into the office with the confidence I smell dignified. My sister who hates perfumes, has commented multiple times on how lovely it smells.
Ishraaq is one of my fav Tobacco perfumes, winter is the best time for me to wear them. Great performer.
 
Ishraaq is one of my fav Tobacco perfumes, winter is the best time for me to wear them. Great performer.
It’s a masterpiece Tobacco perfume & so much more! A refined musky Leather just as much as a Tobacco or Oud perfume.
It shines in winter, however I wear it in all seasons, just not in the extreme heat. As you mentioned, it performs very well, especially on fabric.
 
yesterday and today I’m trying to sort out Rose oils… really hard to do without some kind of systematic approach, especially if applying to skin. So I put seven different Rosa damascena ottos on blotters to see if i can identify that notes that distinguish them.

The materials included:

bulgarian 2022 Alteya
Bulgarian v.alba 2020 wardlab
Nangarhar 2016 wardlab
Ruh Gulab India 2021 wardlab
Kashaan Iran 2020 wardlab
Taif al hada 2020 wardlab
Taif wadi mahram 2023 wardlab

First off, I looked for commonalities. And outliers.

The most obvious outlier is the Iranian “kashaan” oil - in addition to the classic damascena otto notes, this one also had a heavier complex waxy note that reminds me of a musk rose phytol that used to be available. It only lightens up to the typical otto profile after hours on the blotter. 24 hrs later that signature is gone and it smells typical.

The next outlier is the WardLab ruh gulab. This particular specimen is very bright and intense a real beauty. It has a certain backdrop that i have come to understand is a signature of field distillation and especially distillation in degs (as they still do in Kannauj apparently). This oil is just vibrant, velvety, straight, simple, powerful rose. There was a beautiful peppery aspect to this on the blotter, a slightly more obvious tanginess than others. It is easy to distinguish from almost all of the other oils that I tested

The al Hada ta’if has a bit of the “field still” note that the Indian oils has, and on that level it kind of groups with the ruh gulab. But that’s only 15% of the aroma and the other 85% is quite distinct. This is a very multi layered oil and I detected subtle spicy, green, fresh, aquatic, ozonic and airy notes that shifted in and out over time. It all smells natural but there is more complexity with this particular oil than the others.

The Afghani and Taif wadi mahram form a little group of their own. These were by far the lightest and most ethereal of the rose oils. In a way they were hard to smell in light of some of the more “toothsome” ottos. This is not a negative. If one of my family members asked for some rose oil, it would be one of these two that I would give them first because of their beautiful clean simplicity. Not an off note to be found.

This ta’if had a presence that brought desert air to mind… a light, dry powderiness along with a very clean simple rose otto scent with minimal “accessory” or still notes.

The Afghani oil was the simplest and lightest by far - pretty difficult to pick out identifying characteristics, other than the lack of outlying notes of any kind. The most simple and focused, and at one point there was a light cucumber element that was extremely appealing.

The Bulgarian Alba is very nice, a beautiful, classic Bulgarian type. The aroma is somewhat thick during the opening stages, it is multi layered with light, peppery and slightly leafy notes that smell like eglantine. There’s a lovely delicate fresh airy slightly tart eglantine note still on the blotter 24 hours later. This smells a bit like the Alteya ottos i bought over the years up to the 2021 crop. Very lovely oils my personal preferred profile.

The Alteya bulgarian otto is an outlier. It’s the 2022 batch, which is very strange compared to the previous years. I’ve sampled this batch directly from alteya more than once and it is really odd. It smells like cheap turkish rose oil mixed with old Bulgarian oil. The top note lacks freshness or any appealing peppery or leafy notes. It is rose otto but so many off notes - utterly different than previous years. I smelled sour, odd thick dull raspberry notes in there as well. Obviously, this is Rose otto so the basic bulgarian heart notes are there but there all these odd and unappealing minor notes.

This did not smell truly appealing on a blotter until many hours later. Maybe there was some kind of crop shortfall and they had to buy Turkish oil this year to meet their quota or something. Whatever it is something changed dramatically. I am eager to smell the 2023 crop and I’ve got my fingers crossed since it’s relatively affordable and the oil i have usually experimented with. I still have a bit of the 2021 and it is so much nicer - beautiful stuff.

One more note. The Bulgarian oils both congeal at relatively warm temps compare to the other oils that only congeal at significant lower temps. It seems like they have less stearoptene.

IMG_4250.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Very fascinating reading your detailed impressions, Mr. P!

I, myself as a big lover of Rose oils, think it’s due time to place an order with Wardlab.
It’s 3:20am in Melbourne, I got up just a little while ago because I couldn’t sleep & this post inspired me to swipe Instanbuli - ASO. It’s the best Turkish Rose oil I’ve smelled, it’s alive with citrus, lemongrass, a spicy greenness, akin to Taif varieties yet less sharp & crystalline.
IMG_5363.jpeg
 
Back
Top