There is amazing Turkish rose oil out there! I have smelled some smaller scale single farm field distilled Turkish rose oil and it was absolutely top top shelf. Truly bright beautiful scintillating Rose oil.

Doesn’t surprise me one bit ASO would have managed to get their hands on it! Many Turkish Royals, I have encountered had this odd, thick dull raspberryish note either mildly or two more pronounce degree that just deadens the sparkle.
 
View attachment 32415

Enjoying a Tranquil Taif Rose oil gifted to me by a random stranger brother in Madinah.

A strange and beautiful thing happened yesterday,
As I was resting in the Sahn (yard) of Masjid An Nabawi after Asr salah
There was a brother sitting next to me (A saudi)
He casually asked to apply Some attar on me and my father(muslims do this normally as a gesture of love and brotherhood)
I realised this is Taif Rose oil
I complimented the fragrance.

Few moments later he handed me the bottle and said it's a gift
At first I refused(obviously as it's an expensive thing and not easily available)
He then reminded me that Rasūlallāh never refused Fragrance.
Subhanallah

What a strange thing happened

This Taifi is one of the most beautiful I have tried till now. Sweet fruity, lychee, clove, spice, citrus all in one oil!

I was really amazed by his generosity
and thought to share this story with you all.

Indeed a Memorable gift from Al Madinah that I won't forget ever.
Beautiful story,
In fact I am pretty sure this is Taifi from Al- Kamal Rose. A brand that is actually from Taif in Saudi Arabia, they have been distilling highest quality Taifi roses for years. I also have this. You are correct to say it is one of the most beautiful roses ever, very close to Al-Shareef’s Ward and Sulaym’s Malika.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_0963.webp
    126.5 KB · Views: 128
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_0964.webp
    250.2 KB · Views: 123
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_0965.webp
    293.1 KB · Views: 129
Beautiful story,
In fact I am pretty sure this is Taifi from Al- Kamal Rose. A brand that is actually from Taif in Saudi Arabia, they have been distilling highest quality Taifi roses for years. I also have this. You are correct to say it is one of the most beautiful roses ever, very close to Al-Shareef’s Ward and Sulaym’s Malika.
Great to know that. Thanks
I didn't tried Malika from Sulaym,
You're Right I was about to mention about the similarity of this with Al Shareef's Ward Taifi
Infact I told a brother on forum the exactly same thing regarding the oil.
I also find it closer to Sultan Qaboos's ward Taifi haha.
It's so nice that it's hard to believe it's an EO and not a blend.
 
Great to know that. Thanks
I didn't tried Malika from Sulaym,
You're Right I was about to mention about the similarity of this with Al Shareef's Ward Taifi
Infact I told a brother on forum the exactly same thing regarding the oil.
I also find it closer to Sultan Qaboos's ward Taifi haha.
It's so nice that it's hard to believe it's an EO and not a blend.
Very nice,

Sulaym’s Malika is from Sultan Qaboos collection also, very addicting scent. In general I find Taifi to be the most appealing and intoxicating out of the different region of roses.
 
There is amazing Turkish rose oil out there! I have smelled some smaller scale single farm field distilled Turkish rose oil and it was absolutely top top shelf. Truly bright beautiful scintillating Rose oil.

Doesn’t surprise me one bit ASO would have managed to get their hands on it! Many Turkish Royals, I have encountered had this odd, thick dull raspberryish note either mildly or two more pronounce degree that just deadens the sparkle.
I agree, many Turkish oils have a rather flat / thick ‘red’ profile, at least the ones I’ve tested anyway. Many veer off into a Centifolia direction, but without Centifolia’s rich honeyed notes.
ASO’s Istanbuli is the real deal. It’s very very close in profile & quality to good Taifi oils. $72 USD for 2.5g is unbelievable value!
 
I have to remember not to trust my dictation software… I meant to say many Turkish rose oils not “royals”🙄
 
Very fascinating reading your detailed impressions, Mr. P!

I, myself as a big lover of Rose oils, think it’s due time to place an order with Wardlab.
It’s 3:20am in Melbourne, I got up just a little while ago because I couldn’t sleep & this post inspired me to swipe Instanbuli - ASO. It’s the best Turkish Rose oil I’ve smelled, it’s alive with citrus, lemongrass, a spicy greenness, akin to Taif varieties yet less sharp & crystalline.View attachment 33364
I would agree that it’s the best Turkish Rose I have come across in a long time.

I didn’t enjoy any Turkish rose oils in the recent years.

To my nose it’s very different compared to Taifi. This one is touch green(I prefer only a touch) and nectar sweet.

I will have to secure a few tolas of this at sometime.
 
I would agree that it’s the best Turkish Rose I have come across in a long time.

I didn’t enjoy any Turkish rose oils in the recent years.

To my nose it’s very different compared to Taifi. This one is touch green(I prefer only a touch) and nectar sweet.

I will have to secure a few tolas of this at sometime.
I’m doing a side by side test of ASO’s Taif & Istanbuli. They’re definitely different, but not vastly to my nose. Instanbuli is more rounded / sweet, a touch greener, more of the ‘pink rosiness’. The Taifi is very sheer. Extremely bright, a very obvious citronella character, more spicy almost like ginger. Obviously the Taifi is more refined & beautiful, but not by much.
Instanbuli is an amazing Turkish oil.
 
I ended up splashing a good amount of the Instanbuli on my face & beard like an aftershave, then doing the same to my shirt. It’s my favourite way to wear Rose oil, in large amounts! Unfortunately you go through it quickly but unlike Oud, I don’t see any benefit from being conservative or aging it etc. The plant will produce more Roses. Splash away!
 
I ended up splashing a good amount of the Instanbuli on my face & beard like an aftershave, then doing the same to my shirt. It’s my favourite way to wear Rose oil, in large amounts! Unfortunately you go through it quickly but unlike Oud, I don’t see any benefit from being conservative or aging it etc. The plant will produce more Roses. Splash away!
Don't you love that beautiful woody rose heart note that develops around the beard.
 
Very opulent traditional blend

Love Ghaliya Bani Hashim from @An Najwa
I enjoyed this one so much. the scent endured all day and added a nice backdrop to everything else i smelled. this blend also makes a lot of things it interacts with smell better. 🙂
 
I ended up splashing a good amount of the Instanbuli on my face & beard like an aftershave, then doing the same to my shirt. It’s my favourite way to wear Rose oil, in large amounts! Unfortunately you go through it quickly but unlike Oud, I don’t see any benefit from being conservative or aging it etc. The plant will produce more Roses. Splash away!
That's how the royalties in the gulf do rose. Rose is "poured" rather than "swiped".
Beard, neck, and tapped on the white thob.
You got it right 👍🏼
 
Got a sample of Egyptian neroli from ward lab. I love neroli, have smelled a fair handful. I am not as confident evaluating this material as I am with jasmine. There’s been quite a few divergent styles - some very bright, green, sparkling; others are very smooth and soft. I have really enjoyed both kinds and do not know what the gold standard is.

This one has a smooth fuzzy warm opening with a bit of zestiness as well. I have worn it on skin a few times - the oil was really glowing today as it shifted from middle to base notes. Very soft and appealing as it slowly fades. Could not resist burying my nose in it. I’ll be checking this out again tomorrow…

IMG_4308.jpeg
 
Very fascinating reading your detailed impressions, Mr. P!

I, myself as a big lover of Rose oils, think it’s due time to place an order with Wardlab.
It’s 3:20am in Melbourne, I got up just a little while ago because I couldn’t sleep & this post inspired me to swipe Instanbuli - ASO. It’s the best Turkish Rose oil I’ve smelled, it’s alive with citrus, lemongrass, a spicy greenness, akin to Taif varieties yet less sharp & crystalline.View attachment 33364

Gorgeous

After Ta'if, a good Turkish otto is probably my favorite. They can be absolutely sublime. 🌸
 
When a Bulgarian otto is nice and fresh, and has that multilayered peppery leafy light apple thing going on… it’s hard to say I like any type of rose better than that although good Turkish is essentially the same.
 
Seri Karas spray from Hikayat (Malay oud with a few accents), paired with a big swipe of seriously earthy, rooty Ruh Khus on the wrist. I picked up the khus today while walking around Kannauj.

Finding decent naturals isn't easy here. Seems the industry has suffered a lot recently, and many places seem to be 'supplementing' the oils with synthetics. Even in the same distillery outlet you might find some pure oils and some adulterated.

Annoyingly I could smell some really nice oud today outside but I had no idea where it was coming from 😂

Attached are some pics from my day.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_151029.webp
    72.4 KB · Views: 100
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_135800.webp
    271.2 KB · Views: 91
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_143819~2.webp
    502.9 KB · Views: 89
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_140821.webp
    365.7 KB · Views: 83
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_132021.webp
    211.9 KB · Views: 81
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_131654.webp
    319.6 KB · Views: 80
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_20240108_134236.webp
    363.5 KB · Views: 92
Seri Karas spray from Hikayat (Malay oud with a few accents), paired with a big swipe of seriously earthy, rooty Ruh Khus on the wrist. I picked up the khus today while walking around Kannauj.

Finding decent naturals isn't easy here. Seems the industry has suffered a lot recently, and many places seem to be 'supplementing' the oils with synthetics. Even in the same distillery outlet you might find some pure oils and some adulterated.

Annoyingly I could smell some really nice oud today outside but I had no idea where it was coming from 😂

Attached are some pics from my day.
That is a shame, Jazzoid. Many have said the industry is dying. It appears the young guys don’t have the same appreciation for the art of natural attar & materials as the generations before them. It would’ve been upsetting to see it with your own eyes!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top