Super humid and hot day today, what do I wear?

Al Hashimi Special Reserve No. 2
An Najwa Ghaliya Banu Hashim
Al Hashimi Maroke Thaqeel

Slatherings of ASO's Ward Ta'ifi on my palm and spread onto my clothes

The result? A force field of incense-y, red tinged musk from Special Reserve No. 2, the cambodi fused with the civet and ambergris really shines here, feels like it's almost glowing red, with camphor amped up from Ghaliya Banu Hashim and the roar of musk macerated in hindi oud, with a sweet, almost cola like velvet green from Maroke Thaqeel. All were applied in careful quantities, making sure I wouldn't get nose blind to them. The final outcome was sensational and when I got out and back into the car, I started to enjoy the beauty of these aromatics together, enough so that I didn't want to smell anything else, this was enough! Brilliant way to cap off the weekend 🤤
just read a Bilad Al sham oud review on other thread and became desperate to own some, then came straight here, Don’t think I have read a review and wanted to own 4 different oils so much that I have been looking around my room for things I can sell!🤣 these reviews sometimes need warnings!
 
rainy day today, so gotta bust out the rainy day attar! so glad i got a gram before it dissappeared. one of my favorites!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20240715_071038.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 108
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20240715_071031.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 110
I've been enjoying a frankincense oil sample (Royal Luban) from Al Shareef. I'm not really a frankincense connoisseur and for whatever reason I enjoy the resin more than the oil. I have smelled a handful of oils of the various regions and extraction types - distillate, absolute, resinoid, co2 of B. sacra, frereana, carterii, papyrifera, serrata.

This to me very much lines up with other sacra distillate and co2 oils in terms of aroma - a very high sharp, tart, acetic note over a warm sweet resinous piney heart. This is very viscous compared to my oman distillate and co2 oils - perhaps it contains some absolute or resinoid or reflects storage / aging, but it is unique in that respect. Seems like a good quality specimen of authentic omani sacra oil, based on my stash.
 
Another thing I revisited today is a small sample of Tibetan musk from Yusa that seems to be no more or less than a strong musk infusion into sandalwood. There is a strong, almost bitter type interaction with the the natural muskiness of sandalwood and the result is a characteristic woody musky accord that is hard to describe but easy to recognize, very much amplifying the woody muskiness of sandalwood and the heart and base notes of musk since the sandalwood blankets the brighter top note aspects that can be smelled in a tincture. Because this is a straightforward two part maceration, even though i am no musk expert, I feel reasonably confident saying it is a good benchmark / standard that smells like other macerations i believe were authentic and seems a little extra saturated. It is always fascinating to see how this material manifests from different sources.
 
Last edited:
Deep Black - mesOud - For an evening fix of something animalic I chose this beauty. Applied literal dabs of the applicator, so much so that you'd have shine a light to see the spots where I applied, and that's how I would recommend it. There's a ton of dense materials here, coupled with uplifting aromatics, brother mehmet has orchestrated this blend in a way where they all come together in harmony. How he's been able to control the likes of ruh khus, patchouli, rose, vanilla, cinnamon, guaiac wood and valerian root so that none of them overpower the blend is an achievement in itself. If one were to try blending these on one's arm, trying it will make the point apparent! Furthermore, it's quite clear only the facets of each material he wanted to highlight come through, he's able to tease the qualities from the notes he wants on his palette, just as an artist finds the perfect shade, by mixing colors. Its smoky yet sweet, resinous yet airy, with incredible longevity, and a balance scent pyramid (neither top nor bottom heavy)!
 
Here's an unusual one for me. It is a jasmine sample from ASO, dated 2018. Pale yellow very mobile liquid, initial scent is strong, airy, fruity (pineapple?), fresh, tropical. I had to ask what species is because it doesn't really match / resemble any of my benchmark oils.

ASO informed me this is Indonesian sambac oil from an unusual method: enfleurage extraction of sambac flowers, followed by molecular distillation of the pomade/oil (not sure which enfleurage method was used).

The result is a very unusual well shaped and balanced jasmine scent that has no rawness, jarring or heavy indolic notes like hexane concrete or absolute sometimes has.

An appealing fragrance that teases out some facets of jasmine sambac that are new to me. Not sure if this is an item for sale or a private stash 🙂

I just noticed the photo doesn't show the color of the oil I'll have to update that

IMG_8222.jpeg
 
Last edited:
rainy day today, so gotta bust out the rainy day attar! so glad i got a gram before it dissappeared. one of my favorites!
NOOooo… it’s gone? This has been an every day wear on and off since I got my second bottle. Ugh. I’ve been burning through my 5gm bottle and was planning to get another for Musk macerations. I maybe have 1.5gm left. Tough choices. Do I save it or marecate it?
 
Another thing I revisited today is a small sample of Tibetan musk from Yusa that seems to be no more or less than a strong musk infusion into sandalwood. There is a strong, almost bitter type interaction with the the natural muskiness of sandalwood and the result is a characteristic woody musky accord that is hard to describe but easy to recognize, very much amplifying the woody muskiness of sandalwood and the heart and base notes of musk since the sandalwood blankets the brighter top note aspects that can be smelled in a tincture. Because this is a straightforward two part maceration, even though i am no musk expert, I feel reasonably confident saying it is a good benchmark / standard that smells like other macerations i believe were authentic and seems a little extra saturated. It is always fascinating to see how this material manifests from different sources.
I think this might be gone? Another thing I missed. Im so obsessed with the macerations I have from ASO and Mesoud that I literally came on here searching for others I might try.
 
I'm not sure
 
I think this might be gone? Another thing I missed. Im so obsessed with the macerations I have from ASO and Mesoud that I literally came on here searching for others I might try.
have you tried Zumurrud and Yaqoot II? those are musk and oudh macerations.

Here's an unusual one for me. It is a jasmine sample from ASO, dated 2018. Pale yellow very mobile liquid, initial scent is strong, airy, fruity (pineapple?), fresh, tropical. I had to ask what species is because it doesn't really match / resemble any of my benchmark oils.

ASO informed me this is Indonesian sambac oil from an unusual method: enfleurage extraction of sambac flowers, followed by molecular distillation of the pomade/oil (not sure which enfleurage method was used).

The result is a very unusual well shaped and balanced jasmine scent that has no rawness, jarring or heavy indolic notes like hexane concrete or absolute sometimes has.

An appealing fragrance that teases out some facets of jasmine sambac that are new to me. Not sure if this is an item for sale or a private stash 🙂

I just noticed the photo doesn't show the color of the oil I'll have to update that

View attachment 39104
Few weeks ago I tried to convince them to run another batch for me, it looks for the time being this is it, the stash i have is it. Thanks God I have a decent amount. Sometimes we forget the impact of globalization, many of these niche grower/distillers are no longer in business, or doing other materials because they get contracted by some big manufacturer in Europe. Which sucks because those niche materials are dying out. I just ordered a bigger batch of the Tonka Beans that I sent you a sample off, I felt man if this stuff runs out I don't wanna be caught out.
 
I've been enjoying a frankincense oil sample (Royal Luban) from Al Shareef. I'm not really a frankincense connoisseur and for whatever reason I enjoy the resin more than the oil. I have smelled a handful of oils of the various regions and extraction types - distillate, absolute, resinoid, co2 of B. sacra, frereana, carterii, papyrifera, serrata.

This to me very much lines up with other sacra distillate and co2 oils in terms of aroma - a very high sharp, tart, acetic note over a warm sweet resinous piney heart. This is very viscous compared to my oman distillate and co2 oils - perhaps it contains some absolute or resinoid or reflects storage / aging, but it is unique in that respect. Seems like a good quality specimen of authentic omani sacra oil, based on my stash.
That one there was distilled by us here in Australia from imported Omani Luban, the white/pale green frankincense that is harvested in Dhofar region Oman, known as royal Luban since it is the highest quality which is the first collection after the tree is wounded. It is hydro distilled. No resinoid or absolute.

A bit of a messy process because the Luban turns into a gooey bubbling mix in the water when heated, which then climbs into the condenser and blocks everything up. Requires lots of start stop to keep the liquid from rising.
 
Today i have been trying variations on an old recipe for a patchouli centered fragrance. The recipe seemed intended to allow someone who may not love patchouli to appreciate some of its finer points. Rose to sweeten things up, some orange flower... very simple blend just dressing up a blend of older and contemporary patchouli oils, but still a challenge to balance. I came up with something acceptable so I made a couple ounces which I will set aside to mature for a while.

Keeping these bottles and stuff organized is just a constant headache. I don't know about other people but just a nightmare for me. Constantly having to round stuff up throughout the house and try to clear space / reorganize what's on the workbench 🙄 I am organizationally challenged

Enjoying the flowers and summer air through the windows as I am working

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Wearing a sample labelled as GSA - T2 from Lucky Oud.

Exceptionally blend. When I say exceptional, I truly mean it.
Musky fruity white florals with a dark vibe. The florals are thick and honeyed. This one is to be tried.
I am impressed. I did not have high hopes because I have not tried attars from him before and limited my purchases to oud oils. I am blown away.
 
IMG_2437.jpeg

Just got this through the post. Unsolicited and unpaid for. I always rebuff offers of free samples or bottles and have done since 2016 due to my position on this forum, but it is Sunnah (the example of the Prophet ﷺ) to accept a gift and so I reluctantly accepted.

And boy am I glad I did. I’ve made a few compositions myself that have not been released (yet), and my style is robust and strong and unapologetic. However this work of olfactory art is subtle, mysterious and an elixir in perfume form.

This attar is expertly constructed with the balance of the ingredients just right. On too many occasions, I’ve been disappointed at the lack of balance and dominance of one ingredient over others that skews an attar. Not this one. It’s like a perfectly polished diamond refracting and reflecting light at the correct angles to project a shimmering display of luminance, except in this case it is scent notes rather than light that is the objet d’art.

The secret to a good attar or natural perfume is to use ingredients that have been blended in a four-dimensional fashion. A master perfumer knows that creating perfection isn’t just a function of throwing together ingredients in the same three-dimensional space, even if they are the right ones in the correct proportions. Time is the extra dimension that transforms competence into mastery and this perfume has achieved that in spades.

There isn’t enough space here for me to do justice to this and perfume is like an emotion. It is an experiential reality that can only be expressed in person. So my strong recommendation would be to try this out for yourself… if it’s been released and I have no idea of it has or will be.

For those who don’t read Arabic, these are the ingredients (my translation may be slightly faulty)

Thai Oud, Cambodi Oud, Jasmine, White Lotus Flower, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Kashmiri Musk.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 39135
Just got this through the post. Unsolicited and unpaid for. I always rebuff offers of free samples or bottles and have done since 2016 due to my position on this forum, but it is Sunnah (the example of the Prophet ﷺ) to accept a gift and so I reluctantly accepted.

And boy am I glad I did. I’ve made a few compositions myself that have not been released (yet), and my style is robust and strong and unapologetic. However this work of olfactory art is subtle, mysterious and an elixir in perfume form.

This attar is expertly constructed with the balance of the ingredients just right. On too many occasions, I’ve been disappointed at the lack of balance and dominance of one ingredient over others that skews an attar. Not this one. It’s like a perfectly polished diamond refracting and reflecting light at the correct angles to project a shimmering display of luminance, except in this case it is scent notes rather than light that is the objet d’art.

The secret to a good attar or natural perfume is to use ingredients that have been blended in a four-dimensional fashion. A master perfumer knows that creating perfection isn’t just a function of throwing together ingredients in the same three-dimensional space, even if they are the right ones in the correct proportions. Time is the extra dimension that transforms competence into mastery and this perfume has achieved that in spades.

There isn’t enough space here for me to do justice to this and perfume is like an emotion. It is an experiential reality that can only be expressed in person. So my strong recommendation would be to try this out for yourself… if it’s been released and I have no idea of it has or will be.

For those who don’t read Arabic, these are the ingredients (my translation may be slightly faulty)

Thai Oud, Cambodi Oud, Jasmine, White Lotus Flower, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Kashmiri Musk.

My wife who doesn’t appreciate oud or natural perfumes that much “borrowed” the bottle from me. All the eloquent eulogies in the world can’t match that as a seal of approval. Only problem is, is that I’ll simply have to get another bottle and this time I’ll have to pay 😭
 
Back
Top