Combine it with Cade oil and castoreum and you have your natural leather accord or at least how perfumers did back in the days.

Makes a lot of sense in that context - castoreum brought birch tar to mind the first time i sniffed some. This batch smells heavier on the smoke and lighter on the birch than the one other batch i have smelled.
 
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day

Makes a lot of sense in that context - castoreum brought birch tar to mind the first time i sniffed some. This batch smells heavier on the smoke and lighter on the birch than the one other batch i have smelled.
You have to try this castoreum tincture from AP. This castoreum tincture has a sweet ambery fruity raspberry profile. I have never smelt a castoreum like this.

„Sweet Castoreum, or "Raspberry Castoreum". is made from the uncured and still liquid secretion found in the fresh sacs and has a very different aromatic profile than traditional Castoreum.“
 
Ensar Oud - Japanese Rose

Didn’t know what thread to toss this one in so thought it would fit best here. This is not an attar but a simple Rosa Rugosa distillation. Piercing sharp citrus rose, Im honestly stunned at how beautiful it smells. Has its own suede like creamy sweetness without any additional gourmand like components. Had to share how mine blown this oil has me somewhere.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Isn't it interesting that the Rose holds its own so well! You would think if anything could throw a blanket over some rose oil it would be some hindi oud! The particulars of how oils interact and combine is an endless daunting and fascinating puzzle.
It is! Its the perfect companion of the Hindi oil, they cancel out eachother's "harshness" as some people call it, a marraige that produces the best offspring. The result is phenomenal. cant wait for how it matures later

Love the detail on this brother Saud! My mouth is salivating thinking about the blueberry gelato and palm sugar, and the scent imagery of it smelling like Eid morning, I'm sure where you're based Eid morning must be in incredibly fragrant affair! A week for sure is a decent enough to let the oils get to know each other, perhaps not enough but better than the first couple of days in terms of what the final blend will smell like!

I've been watching a lot of video from Maysam Co video thanks to YouTube subtitles and took a lot of inspiration from his tips on how to structure mukhallats, mostly confirming how little Ward Taifi is needed for effect. I recall him adding 3 drops to a tola of a strong oud, and with aged Shamama tul Amber only adding a single drop to a whole tola! Even going as far as to say he doesn't even know how to mix Shamama into quarter tolas. Following his example I created some pseudo blends, which haven't been the greatest successes but I did enjoy his recommendation to add a couple drops of Ward Taifi to ouds you aren't perhaps the greatest fan of. So that's what I did which some economic Thai and Malay oils I got. What really surprised me is that while they were fresh they smelled anything but pleasant but some 10 months later, even these cultivated oils started to smell quite wonderful!

Thank you brother. Some feelings that scent give are hard to describe, im not very good at describing specific notes so instead i use memories or tastes or feelings. Hope it gets the message across. And just like Eid some days have a specific "feeling", like a wedding night, or a dewy morning.
I dont know who Maysam Co is but I know for sure a drop or two are enough for a tola especially in oils that have a more mellow or faint smell, as the taif rose is very overpowering. But for your information, its strength doesnt last long and the sharpness dulls after it mixes with the other oils, but as always tread carefully and add one drop at a time, then wait a few weeks and see if it nees more. The rose essence and soul is still there, but the citrusy top notes were toned down, or maybe the Hindi oud's heaviness overcame it.
 
ASO Royal Luban

Tangy bright tart frankincense, the oil is quite viscous which is unusual for a distillate of frankincense. Settles into a cool dry and resinous-piney scent.

Has me wondering if this is distillate or perhaps a mixture of solvent extract and distillate? Viscosity is similar to a thick sandalwood oil.

I'm not really a collector in connoisseur of frankincense oil but this smells like a quality specimen very much in line with the various quality sacra co2 and distilled oils i have smelled over the years.
 
Last edited:
I wore some An Najwa Khaltat Baghdad yesterday again. Some of you guys are so eloquent in terms of dissecting and describing specific real world scent references, I often find myself at a loss especially with mukhallats... here goes: This oil is musky, quite fruity, and also oudy. First impression is peachy, like osmanthus in some ways but minus the leathery aspect. From time to time i get something like a cinnamon and fruit combo that reminds me of spiced cider or wine. The oud is blended with the other ingredients in such a way as to have a strong influence without standing out. There is a kind of smooth creamy quality. Doesn't smell like gardenia, but gardenia flowers also have a comparable creamy sense to them. The dry down is pleasant, musky, long lasting. I know I've mentioned this one before... probably repeating myself for the most part
 
Last edited:
MANE jasmine grand absolute, India

This is an unusual jasmine - has a very saturated top note that is almost like tuberose in its intensity. Never would have guessed it was from India... i have a few samples of french jasmine from back in the day and the hexane absolute had that same saturated top note. (The absolute from enfleurage is an entirely different beast from the absolute from hexane).

Anyway this is a beautiful oil but a bit rough around the edges like any authentic absolute - it is a raw material after all. This has beautiful multilayered complexity, a lot of depth if you choose to smell it deeply. A constantly shifting multilayered fruity, floral, and candylike jasmine. It has its funk / indole but it is reasonably balanced.
 
What is it about Rose and Hindi oud?

My swipe combo lately has been rose/musk maceration in my armpits and a dry hindi on my neck, wrists and hair. 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯 Wearing these ingredients that are such a classic combination with some distance in between lets them each shine on their own and come together in surprising ways. Dancing leathery rose clouds shift and recombine with incense and animalic notes that become part of my own body smell. Dry woods and rich musk hint at sweetness. That specific sweet dry tension has really kept me enthralled lately.
 
Last edited:
I think wearing the parts of a mixture as separate dabs as opposed to a single combined droplet is the best way to experience the interaction between ingredients. I feel like mixing things up into a single bottle is just a convenience although there is also some important chemistry that happens. 🙂
 
Lavender absolute superior ether from Pierre Chauvet (bought up in the 90's by a larger fragrance company). They actually had authentic violet flower oil at the time that I ordered this oil just to give you a sense of how things have changed. I should post a couple pictures of the catalog I have it somewhere… Mind blowing selection of naturals compared to what you can get even from the bigger vendors today.


This has a very sweet floral candy tonka bean like aspect in addition to sharp almost acidic lavender notes and resiny lavender stem notes. Pale green very mobile. Lavender Absolute extracted with hexane is a dark paste in my experience - I think that the ether extraction explains the fluidity and pale color. I don't know what the shelf life of lavender oil is but this stuff is pretty delicious so I still wear it.
IMG_9185.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Today I wore Ka’bah 1990 by @SULAYM for Jumu’ah. Usually I only decide which oil I’m going to wear for Jumu’ah just before I leave for the masjid and 9/10 times its a Cambodi. But this time by Thursday I already decided that I’m going with Ka’bah 1990 for Jumu’ah and enjoyed every second of it
This is really a nice attar
 
@3elkhaldi - Tobacco Rosa - So I promised brother Maher I'd spray this one first, and I'm not at all disappointed! Suffice to say, the first thought which came to mind upon sniffing this, "His family mustn't need to purchase fragrances, if he can create scents like these"! It's still very early, and already I've experienced about three transitions, and in none of them have notes such as Jasmin Sambac, Rose, or Oud been overwhelming the blend, and I'm not a fan of composition which push the whole blend towards these notes. However what I smell here, is a combination of all the notes, with none being immediately distinguishable, in my books that's a brilliant blend. Anecdotally each sniff brings about the deepest sense of enjoyment, and one spray truly is a beast! Feels masculine but not breaking down doors sort, its elegant, refined and best of all, incredibly unique!

I wish I could describe it, it's a sweet floral, almost recalling image of Rose flavored Turkish Delight, but is neither your grandmother's rose nor a gourmand! It's playful and serious, with a waxy undertone which is really nice!
 
Last edited:
elkhaldi - Tobacco Rosa - So I promised brother Maher I'd spray this one first, and I'm not at all disappointed! Suffice to say, the first thought which came to mind upon sniffing this, "His family mustn't need to purchase fragrances, if he can create scents like these"! It's still very early, and already I've experienced about three transitions, and in none of them have notes such as Jasmin Sambac, Rose, or Oud been overwhelming the blend, and I'm not a fan of composition which push the whole blend towards these notes. However what I smell here, is a combination of all the notes, with none being immediately distinguishable, in my books that's a brilliant blend. Anecdotally each sniff brings about the deepest sense of enjoyment, and one spray truly is a beast! Feels masculine but not breaking down doors sort, its elegant, refined and best of all, incredibly unique!

I wish I could describe it, it's a sweet floral, almost recalling image of Rose flavored Turkish Delight, but is neither your grandmother's rose nor a gourmand! It's playful and serious, with a waxy undertone which is really nice!
what shines for me is the jasmine and the tobacco with roses, brilliantly blended for sure.
 
Today I wore Ka’bah 1990 by @SULAYM for Jumu’ah. Usually I only decide which oil I’m going to wear for Jumu’ah just before I leave for the masjid and 9/10 times its a Cambodi. But this time by Thursday I already decided that I’m going with Ka’bah 1990 for Jumu’ah and enjoyed every second of it
Wore this today while out running errands and needed a quick swipe of something which couldn't offend anyone, and it's magnificent! The amount you need to apply of this attar is so minimal, yet the scent bubble which follows you is massive!
 
Any labdanum fans here? I have a love-hate relationship with this material. There are some aspects to it that I find so deeply appealing and others that I find off putting.

The labdanum absolute oils Fraterworks carries are unusually clean and refined, and if the product descriptions/hype are accurate, it's not surprising they are so nice. The labdanum light and the super premium are the two i sampled. they have some facets that remind me of oud extracts.
 
Any labdanum fans here? I have a love-hate relationship with this material. There are some aspects to it that I find so deeply appealing and others that I find off putting.

The labdanum absolute oils Fraterworks carries are unusually clean and refined, and if the product descriptions/hype are accurate, it's not surprising they are so nice. The labdanum light and the super premium are the two i sampled. they have some facets that remind me of oud extracts.
Fraterworks labdanum is too perfume world clean, it lacks some of the life and vibrancy. If anyone is interested in a clean, fairly linear labdanum, this one is for you.
 
This is true! Very much engineered to bring forward a specific subset of the labdanum profile. In my case, this is a good thing as i have more "robusto" labdanum than I will ever use. I cannot get the really complex stuff to work in my blends. I would love to create a really nice rock Rose dominant fragrance - I have a vision in mind - but cannot pull it off

The fraterworks stuff is originally from Floral Concept for whatever that info is worth
 
Last edited:
Back
Top