I am placing a small order with An Najwa. The Ghaliya attar mentioned by Mr.P is seemingly sold out but they have a Baghdadi attar and other oud oils. I interacted with An Najwa. Very nice people to do business with.

BUT my super excitement today is Salsabeel by Al Shareef. The waft from the dipstick itself is magical & something very special and deliciously gourmandish with vanilla, chocolate, almonds and little bit of coffee supported by ancient amber and an oudy base. The oud used is neither overpowering but something surreal and remains in a supportive role. In the website they oud oil used is Al Malek Al Malaki. There must be a bit of Taifi rose in there but is well blended.

A full wearing of the attar reveals its floral & woodsy notes. Salsabeel is super refined and a far more opulent fragrance than Clive Christian's Hedonistic which is a gourmandish/amber perfume. And its very long lasting. A friend said after many hours that it was like a beautiful floral scent with chocolate and woods.
 
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day


Made this last week.
It’s now almost perfect, it opens with the lush soft, elegant Persian rose, sweet and deep with a little dark green to it, as well as a noticeable muskiness in the rose by itself, the fresher notes disappear quickly but the essence and soul of the rose continues right when the soft, warm creamy Ceylon sandalwood kicks in, then the Hindi kalakas oud provides the dark dark woods and leather, with some smokiness and fermentation notes.
The blend lasts an incredible time on the hand, it’s a beautiful dance where the rose copes up and disappears then reappears, the fermentation jumps in and out with a high frequency, and the sandalwood in the back trying to tame them. The overall ingredients are masculine but this is a very seductive feminine blend in the end, it doesn’t have a gourmand or fruity quality but I want to drink it whenever I see it.
I thought about buying and adding some pink pepper or cardamom, or patchouli or myrrh, but I feel it will ruin it. Maybe on the next run.
 
View attachment 42624

Made this last week.
It’s now almost perfect, it opens with the lush soft, elegant Persian rose, sweet and deep with a little dark green to it, as well as a noticeable muskiness in the rose by itself, the fresher notes disappear quickly but the essence and soul of the rose continues right when the soft, warm creamy Ceylon sandalwood kicks in, then the Hindi kalakas oud provides the dark dark woods and leather, with some smokiness and fermentation notes.
The blend lasts an incredible time on the hand, it’s a beautiful dance where the rose copes up and disappears then reappears, the fermentation jumps in and out with a high frequency, and the sandalwood in the back trying to tame them. The overall ingredients are masculine but this is a very seductive feminine blend in the end, it doesn’t have a gourmand or fruity quality but I want to drink it whenever I see it.
I thought about buying and adding some pink pepper or cardamom, or patchouli or myrrh, but I feel it will ruin it. Maybe on the next run.
If the rose is popping in and out that means the notes haven’t macerated fully yet. Whenever materials play peekaboo like that it’s because heavier aroma molecules are still competing against the more volatile, lighter, more delicate molecules. In another month or so it’ll probably settle and nothing will be competing anymore.
 
If the rose is popping in and out that means the notes haven’t macerated fully yet. Whenever materials play peekaboo like that it’s because heavier aroma molecules are still competing against the more volatile, lighter, more delicate molecules. In another month or so it’ll probably settle and nothing will be competing anymore.
Yes it still hasn’t matured yet. I might need to add more rose later, as rose sometimes dulls after maceration. It isn’t a final formula, just a test batch. Thanks for the input, I didn’t know the reason for that until now.
 
Khaltat Baghdad from @An Najwa.

Peachy musky oudy. Some mouthwatering quality to the peachiness like osmanthus scented tea. I am perceiving the musk more dominantly today.

This blend triggers some kind of contemplative almost nostalgic sense for me in an abstract way I don't know how to put into words.

I feel like the scent has become more rounded and voluptuous with time. Beautiful natural perfume.

Also the quarter tola bottle that it came in is an exceptionally nice one. Just your typical simple octagonal bottle on the one hand, but on closer inspection it is a little heavier, better formed, nice thick optically clear base.
 
The residue this (Khaltat Baghdad) leaves on skin is wonderfully rich and musky.
 

In the thread linked it says to DM to purchase so it may be that it was never listed. If you scroll down it shows the price and details.
 
Khaltat Baghdad from @An Najwa.

Peachy musky oudy. Some mouthwatering quality to the peachiness like osmanthus scented tea. I am perceiving the musk more dominantly today.

This blend triggers some kind of contemplative almost nostalgic sense for me in an abstract way I don't know how to put into words.

I feel like the scent has become more rounded and voluptuous with time. Beautiful natural perfume.

Also the quarter tola bottle that it came in is an exceptionally nice one. Just your typical simple octagonal bottle on the one hand, but on closer inspection it is a little heavier, better formed, nice thick optically clear base.
It sounds magnificent!
The peachy-apricot-osmanthus accord that’s in the top & heart notes of Kishmir is genius. It appears Khaltat Baghdad has a similar effect.

An Najwa…what a talent, him & ASO are the best perfumers in our community. I own samples of around 5 of his unreleased attars & they are all perfection.
 
Begum rose and agallocha codistill from @mesOUD! Hitting completely differently today than last time. What a mystery! Much more rosey than I recall from the last time I took a whiff. All kinds of delightful scintillating spicy notes coming from the threads. Beautiful on skin - outstanding stuff!!
 
And the mystery remains: to what degree did my perception change, and to what degree did the oil itself change since i last sniffed it?

Most importantly I've come to realize that I have only... begum... to appreciate how nice this is, much like with the other oils from Mehmet's stills.
 
Last edited:
I have had experiences where an oil started to smell very different and I thought something might have happened to the oil, but I also thought that it could have been my perception.

Then after some time the oil went back to smelling the way that it smelled originally. So clearly it was my perception and not the oil.

In my experience, rose tends to start off very strong and soften as the oil marinates, so it would be pretty strange to me if the perfume got more roses with time. For that reason, I am guessing that your perception changed.
Very likely especially because I've been smelling all kinds of other things today including rose and oud, so what I am desensitized to and how desensitized I am changes by the hour. That said, some of these oils from Mesoud are fresh out of the still, and definitely undergo some real change with time. i'm pretty confident of that in spite of the inherent uncertainty at any moment in time as to why something might smell different.

A bit of a tangent: one interesting thing I heard is that perfumers actually deliberately use desensitization to help them steady specific accords or facets of fragrances. For example - sniffing some pure rose oil before checking on a blend with rose in it in order to better smell the relationship between the other materials and tune out the rose.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top