Khaltat Baghdad from @An Najwa.

Peachy musky oudy. Some mouthwatering quality to the peachiness like osmanthus scented tea. I am perceiving the musk more dominantly today.

This blend triggers some kind of contemplative almost nostalgic sense for me in an abstract way I don't know how to put into words.

I feel like the scent has become more rounded and voluptuous with time. Beautiful natural perfume.

Also the quarter tola bottle that it came in is an exceptionally nice one. Just your typical simple octagonal bottle on the one hand, but on closer inspection it is a little heavier, better formed, nice thick optically clear base.
You make this sound so lovely. Stop! 😅 I don't have the emotional bandwidth to fall in love with another perfumer.
 
Hejaz - An Najwa

A masterful blend of Ruh Khus and Hindi Oud (maybe his Sher Shah?). The most beautiful deep emerald color. The absolute best parts of the Oud are stretched, polished and extended. The animal, leather, wood components get buffed up and perfumified. Not “cleaned up” just elevated. It has a hot, peppery, sunbaked wood chips aspect that comes back in different forms and an almost jammy, sweet incense quality. I had to ask what exactly this was. And now that I know the Vetiver is there I can’t quite identify what it does except perfectly complement the Oud and make it shine. One dot is enough and it lasts an absolute eternity on my skin. I’ve swiped other things hours later only for this to be called back into action. My next paycheck can’t come fast enough for a full bottle!
 
Musk Extreme by Scent_Talks

Today’s pick is Musk Extreme by Scent_Talks, and it’s an absolute powerhouse. This composition is a rich blend of musk, ambergris, Hindi oud, Indonesian root sandalwood, civet, saffron, amber, castoreum, jasmine sambac, and rose. The first time I encountered it, the potency was so strong that I could almost taste it—it’s incredibly intense. Wearing this is like listening to music with heavy bass that doesn’t let up until the very last note. It’s an extreme, but captivating experience that lasts throughout the wear. Truly a bold, unforgettable scent.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    musk extreammmmmmm.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 122
It sounds magnificent!
The peachy-apricot-osmanthus accord that’s in the top & heart notes of Kishmir is genius. It appears Khaltat Baghdad has a similar effect.

An Najwa…what a talent, him & ASO are the best perfumers in our community. I own samples of around 5 of his unreleased attars & they are all perfection.
I got a sample of Kishmir in my recent order. And though I’m sad to know it’s sold out, I feel lucky to get to have this small bit. For me the mind blower is the mint in the opener. Whether it really has mint or its just suggested by interactions from other materials it works wonders. I get that and the peachy notes in a soft burst and then straight into the lowdown dirty wool and fur aspects of musk before it all slowly builds into a suggestion of styrax/storax. But it’s like my ideal version of styrax with a mild spicy aspect dancing just out of reach. Powdery iris takes over in the best way and guides all those notes through the dry down.
 
I got a sample of Kishmir in my recent order. And though I’m sad to know it’s sold out, I feel lucky to get to have this small bit. For me the mind blower is the mint in the opener. Whether it really has mint or its just suggested by interactions from other materials it works wonders. I get that and the peachy notes in a soft burst and then straight into the lowdown dirty wool and fur aspects of musk before it all slowly builds into a suggestion of styrax/storax. But it’s like my ideal version of styrax with a mild spicy aspect dancing just out of reach. Powdery iris takes over in the best way and guides all those notes through the dry down.
The one i sent you is Kishmir version 2
Yes it has spearmint essential oil in it
 
I got a sample of Kishmir in my recent order. And though I’m sad to know it’s sold out, I feel lucky to get to have this small bit. For me the mind blower is the mint in the opener. Whether it really has mint or its just suggested by interactions from other materials it works wonders. I get that and the peachy notes in a soft burst and then straight into the lowdown dirty wool and fur aspects of musk before it all slowly builds into a suggestion of styrax/storax. But it’s like my ideal version of styrax with a mild spicy aspect dancing just out of reach. Powdery iris takes over in the best way and guides all those notes through the dry down.
I would never have guessed that I'd like mint in a fragrance but a Teone Reinthal I tested has spearmint in it -- along with two ouds, mitti attar, fir, cypress, oakmoss, labdanum, violet leaf, clary sage, geranium, cedar, patchouli and birch tar. The fragrance is unimaginably gentle and beautiful. My bottle is currently trapped at Customs in Los Angeles and I'm dyyyying.
 
Last edited:
An Najwa's Ruh Khus (2021 Distillation) - I'm not one who often praises raw aromatics, but today this stuff is just hitting different. There was a little bit of something I didn't enjoy when I purchased this but even then, it was leagues ahead of most of the Ruh Khus I had experienced till then, many smelling like green bell peppers to me.

But what does this smell like, and more importantly, today? It's got this green, idealized grass smell, and it's spring time, not the harsh heat of summer, but the aroma of vegetation surrounding you is gently brought to you by moist breezes. And you're reclining there, be in a field or an orchard, and imagine there's a water fall nearby or a rural water pump, the green vegetal aroma smells almost watery in texture, and just slightly cool and sweet. Or better yet, imagine drinking from a unfinished clay vessel as you stand outside, the water in this natural cooler is cold, and while the clay hasn't leached into water, just the aroma of it moist again, so close to your nose, adds a flavor all its own to the water.
 
I've created a beautiful blend consisting of Kynam, Rose, Ambergris and White musk essence. Upon opening the bottle, you get a punch of Kynam with sweet rose. Kynam tends to be quite soft and golden to some. In this blend it is the complete opposite. Heavy, getting almost tobacco from a pipe heavy notes (that's what I'm getting from the first 10-15 minutes). I've never experienced kynam before so I totally didn't know what to expect. Heck, I haven't even tried the Kynam (raw) on my skin yet, as I only have about 1gr of it. The citrus/sweetness of the rose takes me back to my childhood, smooshing roses in my grandmas garden, and then smelling the residue on my hands. The ambergris serves as a base and fixative, helping the other ingredients bind harmoniously. The musk was a bit of a gamble, but it adds softness and a clean layer, bridging the base and heart notes.

I love making blends for myself as it gives you the opportunity to further fuel your love for attars/oud, and allows you to smell unique. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Edit* The name of the blend is Noor al-Layl, translating to Light of the night
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    1000167287.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Rooh Khus by Lucky Oud
Rooh Khus by Lucky Oud is, without a doubt, the cleanest and most soothing Khus I have experienced so far. With its sweet, earthy, and minty profile, it brings a sense of calm and refreshment. One of the things I eagerly look forward to in the winter months is a sunny day, just to indulge in the true beauty of Khus once again. It's remarkable how something so ordinary in the summer can transform into a luxurious experience in the winter...
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    ruh_khus.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 86
I made up of frankincense tincture roughly 20% hojari in Everclear. I used to hot water bath to encourage the extraction… it proceeded very quickly and reached a very satisfying saturated aroma almost immediately.

It's very sticky, I don't know how anybody else feels about that but it doesn't really bother me too much. For me this is a pretty sweet way to enjoy frankincense - I'm not crazy about the distilled oils as they tend to be quite shrill and there's a certain sourness which is boosted in the distillate which is not a part of frankincense that I enjoy. I find a tincture has a little better balance of the sweet and the tart. Anyway resin tinctures make great fragrances in themselves and good fixatives in blends... great place to start for anybody who's wanting to dip a toe in making their own fragrances.
 
Rooh Khus by Lucky Oud
Rooh Khus by Lucky Oud is, without a doubt, the cleanest and most soothing Khus I have experienced so far. With its sweet, earthy, and minty profile, it brings a sense of calm and refreshment. One of the things I eagerly look forward to in the winter months is a sunny day, just to indulge in the true beauty of Khus once again. It's remarkable how something so ordinary in the summer can transform into a luxurious experience in the winter...
I smelled some khus aligharh from an najwa - it was a very special khus compared to the others in my stash. Apparently this is a choice region
 
Back
Top