Cypress oil is something I find intriguing, if you haven't had a chance to mess around with this material it is worth a look. I have only smelled true Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), I'm not talking about / familiar with the various other species with "cypress" in their common names like Australian blue cypress etc.

True cypress has an amazing ambergris / clary / muscatel thing going on to varying degrees depending on the extraction. I am on a quest for a good ambery cypress oil!
 
Last edited:
Ghaliyah Leather Attar (2024, Lucky Oud)

Begins with a strident indole (mostly white florals, more on it later) with a prominent warmish leather with a powerful dark greenish siren. A warm barn is here too, but it quickly goes into the background, allowing white and yellow florals to bloom. Also, the intensity of leather is positively related to temperature.

The ‘leather’ in the name is quite appropriate as GLA highlights various leather facets (through different aromatics) with varying intensities - more specifically, through different oud, musk, floral and balsamic qualities. There are some tart fruity notes too - similar to some classically distilled tart and fruity Burmese, Cambodian and Thai ouds, slow-aged deer musk (macerated on sandal with very little heat treatment). Speaking of deer musk, I also noticed a pissy/ammoniacal note that I associate with musk pod skins tincture at the start. It is clearly detectable adjacent to the initial indole hit.

Florals: I get Jasminum auriculatum, hawthorn, bakula, common jasmine, tuberose, rose, geranium and possibly ylang ylang and osmanthus (it’s leathery part). The floral qualities of the compo – namely it’s indolic, creamy and fruity floral qualities are quite persistent. They are clearly detectable until the deep heart, when they morph into this singular creamy and slightly balsamic leather [3]. My guess is civet is used in GLA as the floral are so vivid in it. Just like in Hana, Ketaki and Peepul, this soft-spoken perfumer’s love for white and yellow florals are quite evident here.

Greens: Most likely it is oakmoss, galbanum, angelica root (due to the presence of a sharp and bitter green note), some very green and spicy Indo-Malay oils. [1] The bitter greenness (similar to that of some green ouds, oakmoss, galbanum, angelica root, patchouli) combined with [2] vanilla, dry hay, and tonkafied (read somewhat of a sweet and balsamic) leather makes the overall leather profile veering towards a floral animalic one. Now imagine adding [3] with some greeinish leather qualities. As an example, imagine a Maai (Bogue Profumo) with lots of ouds and a more prominent leather note and a less floral one. The combination [2] & [3] becomes the dominant profile from 2nd hour onwards.

Balsamic oudiness: so far I have noticed a sweetness similar to tonka, and hay with a slight smoky vanilla, balsamic sweetness of Assam belt ouds and heart notes of benzoin, gurjun balsam, styrax, and trails of vanilla, and tonka absolutes. I am sure I missed a few.

Incensy ouds: I'm almost certain that there are some greenish, oceanic and musky Indo-Malay ouds. But I need to wear it in cooler weather to decipher them further.

Ambergris: waxy, creamy, touch chalky, labdanum like ambery and leathery, with an undercurrent of an eggy halitosis. The halitosis part is not very prominent – so don’t worry about it. Considering how this sea-faring gold is aptly presented here, I presume it has some grey and possibly some almost-veering-into-black ambergris.

An incensy and slightly vanillic and waxy musk accord holds everything together and allows florals and ouds to embellish each other until the end [4].

The trail is a wonderful leather affair where Hindi and possibly many Indo-Malay are largely imparting their inherent sweet & balsamic and greenish, incensy and musky qualities respectively with various intensities. The aforementioned musk accord [cf. 4] morphs into this softly fruity and sweet musky hum – a beautiful nod to some Indo-Malay oudy trails. If you like ghaliyah to be floral and leathery with a constant oudy hum, this is worth sampling.
 
Ghaliyah Leather Attar (2024, Lucky Oud)

Begins with a strident indole (mostly white florals, more on it later) with a prominent warmish leather with a powerful dark greenish siren. A warm barn is here too, but it quickly goes into the background, allowing white and yellow florals to bloom. Also, the intensity of leather is positively related to temperature.

The ‘leather’ in the name is quite appropriate as GLA highlights various leather facets (through different aromatics) with varying intensities - more specifically, through different oud, musk, floral and balsamic qualities. There are some tart fruity notes too - similar to some classically distilled tart and fruity Burmese, Cambodian and Thai ouds, slow-aged deer musk (macerated on sandal with very little heat treatment). Speaking of deer musk, I also noticed a pissy/ammoniacal note that I associate with musk pod skins tincture at the start. It is clearly detectable adjacent to the initial indole hit.

Florals: I get Jasminum auriculatum, hawthorn, bakula, common jasmine, tuberose, rose, geranium and possibly ylang ylang and osmanthus (it’s leathery part). The floral qualities of the compo – namely it’s indolic, creamy and fruity floral qualities are quite persistent. They are clearly detectable until the deep heart, when they morph into this singular creamy and slightly balsamic leather [3]. My guess is civet is used in GLA as the floral are so vivid in it. Just like in Hana, Ketaki and Peepul, this soft-spoken perfumer’s love for white and yellow florals are quite evident here.

Greens: Most likely it is oakmoss, galbanum, angelica root (due to the presence of a sharp and bitter green note), some very green and spicy Indo-Malay oils. [1] The bitter greenness (similar to that of some green ouds, oakmoss, galbanum, angelica root, patchouli) combined with [2] vanilla, dry hay, and tonkafied (read somewhat of a sweet and balsamic) leather makes the overall leather profile veering towards a floral animalic one. Now imagine adding [3] with some greeinish leather qualities. As an example, imagine a Maai (Bogue Profumo) with lots of ouds and a more prominent leather note and a less floral one. The combination [2] & [3] becomes the dominant profile from 2nd hour onwards.

Balsamic oudiness: so far I have noticed a sweetness similar to tonka, and hay with a slight smoky vanilla, balsamic sweetness of Assam belt ouds and heart notes of benzoin, gurjun balsam, styrax, and trails of vanilla, and tonka absolutes. I am sure I missed a few.

Incensy ouds: I'm almost certain that there are some greenish, oceanic and musky Indo-Malay ouds. But I need to wear it in cooler weather to decipher them further.

Ambergris: waxy, creamy, touch chalky, labdanum like ambery and leathery, with an undercurrent of an eggy halitosis. The halitosis part is not very prominent – so don’t worry about it. Considering how this sea-faring gold is aptly presented here, I presume it has some grey and possibly some almost-veering-into-black ambergris.

An incensy and slightly vanillic and waxy musk accord holds everything together and allows florals and ouds to embellish each other until the end [4].

The trail is a wonderful leather affair where Hindi and possibly many Indo-Malay are largely imparting their inherent sweet & balsamic and greenish, incensy and musky qualities respectively with various intensities. The aforementioned musk accord [cf. 4] morphs into this softly fruity and sweet musky hum – a beautiful nod to some Indo-Malay oudy trails. If you like ghaliyah to be floral and leathery with a constant oudy hum, this is worth sampling.
Interesting!
 
AA Kyara to Byakudan

this is the best sandalwood perfume. I can't imagine anything beating it in the near future. I've tried almost all of sandalwood perfume out there, and they all come short to this one. I've tried Jinx Santal Proto and 1952, ALD Santal Galore, EO Santal Sultan and Crime & Punishment and many more, all come second to this one.
I owe you a big thank you. I took the plunge and bought a bottle. Tried it a few times and bought a second bottle 🙂

This is gorgeous! My sandalwood life is complete.
 
That’s one of the only ASO’s attars I’ve yet sample. I’ve heard amazing things!
And yet you had an astonishingly accurate description of it some pages back, simply based on your knowledge of ASO attars. You described it remarkably well, then asked whether it became earthy or ambery. It's been a few weeks since I've worn it -- respiratory infection so I'm hesitant to say. But I think your initial description was perfect. I don't think it gets ambery, and it's too elegant too be earthy. But if we can imagine an elegant-earthy, that's probably it 🙂

I can't remember whether @Ahmaoud has Al Bayt Al Ateek. If so, he'd be a good person to weigh in.
 
@An Najwa ghaliya Banu Hashim (tell me I got the spelling right...)

this stuff is so nice that I never wear it. A curse of working on perfume daily is that I can't risk wearing things that will have a major impact on my perception of scent. For example yesterday I applied a swipe of the Mysuru 3 from @Al-Hind Oud on my left arm, and for the entire day any test blend applied to my left arm was impossible to evaluate because of the sandalwood presence.

This mukh smells wonderful and has a big impact on anything worn with it or near it to the point where I could not wear this - not even a drop - on a day when I'm trying to develop my own fragrances. It's not that it's some cloying overwhelming powerhouse it's just that there's some kind of magic in the balance of the ingredients and it seems to exalt and modify things it blends with beautifully.


I would love to wear some but I'm sniffing it from the bottle. Experienced this way, the peachy / osmanthus notes that i associate with An Najwa's blends are the first thing i notice, and beneath that this buzzing accord which smells like it could be an intersection of saffron, oud, musk, flowers, and ambergris. I won't venture to guess at the wrist but just sitting back from the bottle, a cloud of fragrance seemingly filled with many subtle influences follows and mingles beautifully with the other scents in my lab.

I take this out for a sniff every once in a while just to study it, and I save wearing it for special occasions when I'm not going to be trying to evaluate anything else.

my experience layering makes me think this would be an amazing "secret ingredient" to add to other perfumes to exalt them. For example a tincture of this in place of tincture of ambergris would be interesting (not saying it would be a direct substitute but it seems to have that magical exalting effect)


IMG_1432.jpeg
 
Sambac maybe in the new year! But I am working on an in house Jasmine attar. It’s still in my head and will put pen to paper soon!
I would love a jasmine that isn't too dark or heavy. Western jasmines tend to be light and bright and that's what I'm used too. None of the Sulaym attars that I own are dark or heavy. But I've tried jasmines from other houses and they often are. Heavy is fine for rose. Jasmine should dance.
 
I would love a jasmine that isn't too dark or heavy. Western jasmines tend to be light and bright and that's what I'm used too. None of the Sulaym attars that I own are dark or heavy. But I've tried jasmines from other houses and they often are. Heavy is fine for rose. Jasmine should dance.
I was quite surprised the first time I experienced a heavy jasmine fragrance - one where it was coupled with a shamama-like base of saffron, musk, oud. A very pleasant fragrance but likewise not at all what I was expecting.

I'm very curious about creative uses of Jasmine because it has so many different facets to potentially draw on, but like you I tend to reach for things that remind me of the freshness of the flower when it comes to scratching the jasmine itch and I'm especially interested in blends that respect the delicacy of the fresh flower scent.
 
Jasmine sambac "signature" absolute from Floral Concept (bought at fraterworks). This is an odd one. It is a very fine product in that there's very little wax or pigment, and it's almost like a distillate it is so intense. Full strength it honestly is just brutal in its top notes though - not pleasant - shrill, sour, meaty. At 10% it is much more appealing but still nothing subtle or delicate or dewey. It leaves a very nice balanced sambac residue as it evaporates - to me its finest feature. This extraction somehow feels functional more than beautiful in itself. I believe that skillfully blended this could contribute some ridiculous saturated floral notes to a blend though that's for sure
 
@Al-Hind Oud's Bilquis is my mukh of the moment. Starts out sandalwood dominant but the agarwood is always noticeable... this is a buttery-nutty-woody sandalwood with a medicinal resin backdrop thanks to the oud. This sandalwood is quite distinct from the mysuru 3 which is a smoother less buttery-nutty sandalwood, and reminds me of a Karnataka oil once sold by a Canadian BN-er and OG oud lover Simon R- (forget last name - had a biz called "Alluwah").

I am not a fan of oud and sandalwood mixtures generally, but this codistilled essence is beautifully balanced and completely pleasant - I think the gentle sweetness of Ck makes it an unusually good oud to mix with sandalwood.
 
Last edited:
Natural Pure Aroma, he is a distiller in Sri Lanka.

I got all his current offerings of Sandalwood. Some Agarwood too.
He has interesting co distillations of Sandawood, I was interested to try.
Sandalwood with Pineapple, Durian, Blue lotus, Fringipani.
I know this is quite an old post but I’d like to ask if you still have his sandalwood oils? I’ve been meaning to order but I’m not sure, especially with the very big catalogue he has of sandalwoods
 
Sacred Scarab Attar (2023, Zoologist)

[My older initial impression from another place with a little tweak]

I received this beauty in late September. Initially there is a very bright (without being sharp) citrusy notes with some vernal qualities. They quickly give way to a slightly metallic fruity smell with a delectable plumy note. The plum note sometimes come across like a berry compote. If inhaled longer, a clean and slightly saulty sea breeze in detectable. The sea breeze smell reminds me of that in 'Ashar' by Sultan Pasha - an upcoming composition from Shekor - an upcomming brand from Bangladesh. All the while, it feels quite dry/arid - especailly until first 2-3 hours.

It is way too early to say how it will develop on my skin under different conditions. SSA is slightly green, fruity, slightly metallic, a subtle hum of oceanic (salty) breeze, dark and bright florals, floral leather and floral animalic, mossy and and a plethora of balsams and resins. There are some balsamic smokiness too - buried deep in our warm and humid weather. Now in our temperate weather, the florals, balsamic and incensy notes are more noticable than when I first tried in a more humid and warmer time (September). For some reasons, certain flinty qualities in it reminds me of Thebes-1, an earlier version of Joyeux and Nuit Persane. They are more like evocations. So I need to sit with those compos to identy those 'connections'.

A good friend helped a lot in acquiring this beauty from Canada to US and then to Bangladesh! Things we do for our hobby! As per SP style, there are lots of twists and turns in it and the trail is totally different from 30-35 SP compositions I tried so far. It will be fun to listen to it over many wearings.

The colour, composition, structure and almost everything else in it evokes the yesteryear and its finer things. Yet, it shows its arid, sweet, floral, fruity, spicy, astringent, vernal, slightly balsamic and ambery qualities with modern sensibilities. Ma-sha-Allah, such a gorgeous composition by Sultan Pasha.
 

S.Md.Ayub Md. Yaqub Ruh Khus 1 + Ceylon sandalwood oil​

First time I tried this ruh khus i hated it, it was a mute olive color with an annoying very burnt root smell, so i left it in the box. I came back to it now after a few months and its already better, smoother, still smokey but its a better, deeper smoke scent that connects well with the other typical vetiver notes, the sandalwood was just used to dilute it a little but it did add a little creaminess and saltiness. good blend for the end of the day wind down and sleep.
 
Back
Top