2023 Svadhishtana Ateek - @RisingPhoenix

This might just be one of the craziest most unique things I've ever smelled. It's mind boggling. Every scent association that pops in my head follows with a sort of "yes, but no". Ancient wood? Yes, but not like I've ever experienced. Floral? Yes, but no.

The one association I feel fairly confident about is there's some kind of fermented dark berries. But, again, not like I've ever smelled before.

In other words, trying to make scent associations can't possibly describe the experience.

What I can say with certainty is it smells ancient, has a very noticeable psychoactive effect, and is absolutely captivating.
 
Last edited:
Amber EDT from WSKK @Mr.P

Getting to the notes later but I'm very happy with the quality of ingredients used in all of the perfumes and blends. They really makes the huge difference and of course tied up with the blending experience.

First sniff had a citrusy punch which fades away quickly and followed by musky, pine, spicy and balsamic notes. The drydown last quiet longer even though it's an EDT version. It has similarities with Adam/SP Civet de Nuit to my nose.
 
Sultan Red Rose by Ensar Oud

A great example of harmonious team-work among oud, dark red rose and some sandalwood. I am on my second full wear of this attar. When I take a whiff of it, sometimes I smell a dark-smoky oud, other times is dominated by the queen red rose herself, out on a stroll with a dark brown real fur coat around her shoulders. It's a little bit spicy, but I am not sure whether the spice is coming from oud or by addition of some carnation-like cloves and some cardamom, because I get some coldness from it. It could very well be the rose herself as red roses can be cooling. Overall a nice rose-oud attar. I am eager to see how it ages (haha!) or rather how my perception changes over time...
 
Vintage khus from @AlHind Oud - nice clear emerald green color, free from strong starchy or vegetal notes, has a sweet candy-like boquet that has some of the beautiful honey-like notes that make Haitian vetiver so appealing. A very smooth khus!
 
Vintage khus from @AlHind Oud - nice clear emerald green color, free from strong starchy or vegetal notes, has a sweet candy-like boquet that has some of the beautiful honey-like notes that make Haitian vetiver so appealing. A very smooth khus!
I don’t know why the Firdaus from Sulaym which is also a vetiver based attar seems so bitter. Is vetiver supposed to be bitter?
 
I don’t know why the Firdaus from Sulaym which is also a vetiver based attar seems so bitter. Is vetiver supposed to be bitter?
Vetiver in itself is quite sweet, so I would guess the bitterness is from some contrasting material
 
Not sure how many have tested Ward Yaqoot from @Tabeer_Oud It's the BEST in class (Hindi Red Rose) that I have put my nose on so far. If I had enough money, I would buy litres of this oil and make it my signature scent. Ward Yaqoot oil has everything I wanted in a rose oil. Surprisingly, has a mild lactonic vibe that I find very comforting. I am here giving standing ovation to this majestic yet delicate oil. King of rose oils (IMO)!
 
Oak moss! I have a completely schizoid / split relationship with oakmoss. love/hate. I was hating it last week when a little dab was interfering with something that had no business to mix with, today I am over the top loving the stuff. It is sublime.

Oakmoss in my mind is musk. By this I mean it has absurd transformative properties and lays down a base like nobody's business. I know this is common knowledge but it's one thing to read about it in the book or experience it in a bottle of perfume, it's another thing to interact with it when you start trying to blend and combine things.

I'm really not crazy about a strong oakmoss effect in fragrance just because it's a little boring and flat at times when it is strong, but a trace of this stuff produces the craziest accords, with all kinds of different materials. I applied a swipe when I was in the shop yesterday of this dilute stock of 30 year old oakmoss absolute that I share with customers, and I'm sitting here the next day smelling the most wonderful combination of aromas as this oakmoss on my skin has retained it scent and also the smell of other things that it overlapped with during the day. Radiating this beautiful combination of earthy mineral spicy and fungal notes. Yesterday evening, when I woke up at night, this morning, I'm surrounded by these completely novel perfume like accords - like i have smelled sketches for 15 different fragrances just due to the persistent interactions of the oakmoss.

The smell of oakmoss is one thing, its behavior is another thing entirely. Very very powerful material with unbelievable transformative effects. Beast of a material, as a mycologist I'm proud of the fungi for really throwing down here.
 
Last edited:
Bolton’s Apogee- Aroma Sublime (sample)
I applied this last night before bed and again just now. I had forgotten how much of a luxuriously beautiful attar this is. My first time with it I was almost overwhelmed by the florals, but last night and right now it’s the muskiness that’s so impressive. For something with no animalics whatsoever it’s surprisingly musky. And not just the peachy, freshly peeled mandarin, upper-register sweetness musk can have but a bit of the wool and fur, powdery, honey lacquered animal um… secretions as well. It really gives me a hint of Kashmiri musk specifically. That low down Kashmiri note that I can’t really describe but that I know when I smell it, even in very low doses. This lasts for hours and hours and the far dry down is as rewarding as the flowers-on-overdrive opener.
 
Last edited:
I got this one labdanum fraction from Eden botanicals called "Dynamone". It's funny stuff… Quite changed by their fractionating process, it has some odd facets but as far as labdanum goes it's really uniquely mellow, dry, smooth...
 
Back
Top