An Najwa - Ghaliyah Banu Hashim

The beauty of this is humbling. Just such profound depth to this attar. I don’t know that I’ve ever smelled something that is so immediately perfect for me. That osmanthus burst in the opening and the little lactic puff of oud before the overwhelming wave of musky perfection pulls the whole horizon up close. I absolutely adore osmanthus but I’ve never smelled it used so perfectly and seamlessly. It’s never isolated here except in that initial opening blast, but it makes its presence known far, far in the background, supporting the musk that is the unquestioned star here with the way it transforms all that it touches. I’m a little in awe of this. It smells important, but not stuffy or stern. Regal, but not separate or apart. It smells ennobling. Uplifting. It makes the heart important. It makes the inner soul the king.
Enjoyed reading every bit of this
Beautiful!
But it doesn’t have any osmanthus in it👀
 
Indian Jasmine "florasol" (basically a low temperature extract using the same substance as the propellant in asthma inhalers). This material is getting pretty old but it doesn't seem the worse for wear. That's a little bit surprising.
 
Direct / first run rose oil is catching my attention at the moment. The stuff smells outstanding right from the threads. I actually expect a certain odd quality to the very top notes of even the best pure rose oil - it's a kind of oversaturation effect and generally instantly dispelled by dilution, which gets the concentration down closer to the level we experience when encountering a literal rose flower. This particular oil seems distinctive in terms of having a beautiful balanced bouquet "neat" - taking a deep whiff it's possible to smell the various facets and dimensions of the flower, and I get less of a sense of olfactory "blowout". I think what I'm perceiving is authentic and not merely the placebo effect. Placebo effect is very possible because I am very much taken with the idea of a direct distillation rose, which no doubt predisposes me in its favor. Maybe I'm looking a little more closely due to my expectations.

Wonderful oil, as far as I know the only direct rose oil that I have ever smelled, thank you @Adweeya Mufriha / Scentient Nature.
IMG_8737.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Today’s Swipe: Blue Lotus by S Abdul Sami Grandsons

This floral oil is one I did not expect. The smell of this oil is strong from the start to finish. When applied to my hair, I could smell it when I went to bed. When first applied onto skin it lasted the whole day, in 32°C weather! The smell is slightly powdery and deeply floral. Even now when I get a whiff of it when freshly applied, I feel a rush of calm wash over me.
I am excited to layer this fragrance with others and experiment with different combinations
 
Today’s Swipe: Blue Lotus by S Abdul Sami Grandsons

This floral oil is one I did not expect. The smell of this oil is strong from the start to finish. When applied to my hair, I could smell it when I went to bed. When first applied onto skin it lasted the whole day, in 32°C weather! The smell is slightly powdery and deeply floral. Even now when I get a whiff of it when freshly applied, I feel a rush of calm wash over me.
I am excited to layer this fragrance with others and experiment with different combinations
I love blue lotus. You know it's actually not part of the lotus family? It's a type of water lily. I've noticed that a lot of people have been talking about it recently. The absolute is sticky and dense. The EO is fluid. It's extremely difficult to extract an EO from the blue lotus/lily. Easier to get the abs--both of which are totally narcotic, which I love about magnolias and jasmines too.
 
I love blue lotus. You know it's actually not part of the lotus family? It's a type of water lily. I've noticed that a lot of people have been talking about it recently. The absolute is sticky and dense. The EO is fluid. It's extremely difficult to extract an EO from the blue lotus/lily. Easier to get the abs--both of which are totally narcotic, which I love about magnolias and jasmines too.
I did not know about that!! I’m actually really interested in trying a Magnolia if I can find one. The smell of the blue lotus was one I didn’t expect! It was pleasantly surprising. Thankfully I received some additional floral samples from them and one of them was their pink lotus and it smells divine.
 
Checking out the spikenard resinoid I made recently. Pretty thick stuff - as you can see it clings to the glass. This will be an ingredient in some future fragrances for sure - I am very pleased with the outcome.

Earthy, fungal, old and dusty, funky, musky, dry leafy like old patchouli, and absolutely "oudy" in a certain sense, but not as sweet. The first time I smelled a traditional fermented Lao sinensis, I was sure i was smelling something with spikenard oil in it. I'm not sure how to describe this note, and it may be more a product of fermentation than of oud per se. This bright scintillating quality also translates to a kind of muskiness, like some of the singing top notes of musk. I just took another whiff from the bottle - the high/sharp quality is also a bit civet-like. This is from spikenard roots that came from yamada matsu around 2001 - can't help but wonder what this oil would've been like if I made it before they head aged for so long. I'll have to keep an eye out for more spikenard. In the meanwhile I get the feeling that this is screaming out for saffron so I'm about to try layering.

IMG_8762.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Scent of the night:
The legendary "Super Malik Shamama" by S Md Ayub Yakub Perfumers from Mumbai, India.
This is an intimate, medicinal spicey/herbal/woody concoction that stays close to the skin and soul. While it doesn't have great longevity, it more than makes up for it by filling my heart with pure nostalgia.
This fragrance is a bottle of pure emotion, instantly transporting me back to my Ma's kitchen, the scent of her tempering cooking oil with whole spices each morning before starting to cook.
 
Man, when grandiflorum oil is good, it is sooooo very outrageously wonderfully good. It inspires broad proclamations about the relative inadequacies of other things, which I will spare us all.

i'm smelling my forearm here which has the base stage of some extra pricey Jasmine absolute I swiped on it a while ago… Absolutely perfect charming floral Jasmine skin scent - slight tart quality that gives a hint of freshness, some ozonic molecules, juicy jasmine petals, candylike sweetness, last hint of linalool from the mids... this could not be improved by any artifice or machination.

It kills me that I don't encounter other people smelling like this. I wish everybody smelled like this.

I at least am doing my part
 
I wore a vetiver CO2 from @Mr.P this morning.

Nice rounded earthy profile with a hint of sweetness, slight musky too. This is the first time I ever applied this particular extract. What a interesting color it got! Thanks for the opportunity.
I was trying to think of what I had to send you that might be different or unique when I selected that. It is 11 years old - got it from White Lotus in 2014. I agree with your description of the aroma, rounded, earthy. Not a particularly showy vetiver. There is some significant sediment in the bottle.
 
Voluptuous sweet jammy Cambodian oud with a drop of Thai basil essential oil and a drop of pink pepper oil
The Thai basil carries the oud and throws it left and right, incredible projection and even longevity, and lifts the fruity sweet notes to the sky, the pink pepper (although I overdid it) bridges the two nicely and balances the sweetness of both oils. This might be the start of something really good. Next up is to add some ambergris maceration, sandalwood, maybe jasmine and frankincense.
 
Back
Top