Gonna have to reply to the tag here @Joe!

scent_talks - Cuir de Tabac - I've been wearing this for about two to three days non-stop, can't seem to get enough of it! I wear it before bed, and the first thing when I wake up in the morning! Yet when I first tried this scent, I wasn't even sure it was for me! I've been looking for a tobacco and leather attar for ages, something brisk, masculine, almost in your face levels of strength, complexity and ruggedness, and I think I've found it here, at least when it comes to this sub genre of tobacco based attars. Cuir de Tabac is shift from several other tobacco based blends doctor saab has released. I wouldn't say any of them are mainstream friendly, but they play on the sweeter facets of the note a lot higher in the scent pyramind. In Cuir de Tabac, you're faced with a spicy tobacco right from the start, it's sinus clearing and almost like submerging one's head into a pot of masala chai! But to say the top of Cuir de Tabac is simply that, would also be unfair. The spices (think oregano and coriander) are allowed to lift themselves, nothing overly cinnamon heavy or nutmeg-y or even sweetened with vanilla! So what's next to the spices? Well there's a beautiful resinous amber accord which is playing off the shadow of the top notes, this is the period I find myself most drawn to the scent, because the contrast of the brash top notes gives way to something which feels cozy and relaxing, yet not boring or overdone! There's so much more I haven't highlighted but I'll emphasize one part, what makes this fragrance a love, is that lack of going down the well trodden path of adding a bunch of candy sweetness to a spicy tobacco top. Everything feels present yet light and airy, it's like there's a mentholic undertone to the whole scent, which if you know me, is something I absolutely adore! It makes it feel like a sophisticated, masculine attar, and something which can be worn in the daylight or the night, and doesn't go down the route of making you smell like a cookie! (I'm looking at you Spicebomb Extreme.....)

Overall it's a spicy, smokey tobacco top, which herbal facets which transitions to a resinous and slightly spicy mid and then into the most beautiful, animalic heavy dry down (but done with caution and precision). It's an invigorating fragrance, continually giving me pleasure upon each sniff, throughout its life! I wear it before important meetings, when I have to study or just when I need focus and boost my confidence!
 
Thanks for sharing! I was thinking this was the one he just released the other day.

I only have one attar from him, and it's the Blue Lotus Oud. It's crazy how similar that one smells to his Bright Mirror incense.
 
You are correct!
Also, while locating "bright mirror" I found out that there is also a "blue lotus" incense (totally forgot about it!)
Yep, Bright Mirror is the oud version of Blue Lotus. I wish I had grabbed the Sinking Version of Bright Mirror when it was available.

I just put some of the Blue Lotus Oud attar on for the first time in like 2 years, and it feels like a totally different oil than I remember.

Instead of toning down with the little bit of age, it feels so bright and lively, with an effervescent fruitiness on top of the oudy base.

The dry down must be where I'm remembering the similarities to the incense, but this is soul stirring nonetheless.
 
Yep, Bright Mirror is the oud version of Blue Lotus. I wish I had grabbed the Sinking Version of Bright Mirror when it was available.

I just put some of the Blue Lotus Oud attar on for the first time in like 2 years, and it feels like a totally different oil than I remember.

Instead of toning down with the little bit of age, it feels so bright and lively, with an effervescent fruitiness on top of the oudy base.

The dry down must be where I'm remembering the similarities to the incense, but this is soul stirring nonetheless.

I'm gonna have to light a stick of Bright Mirror after this dries down if I'm not too tired 😅
 
Can anybody recommend an attar / blend that has a nice puerh tea or similar kind of herbal / fermented tea focus? I have an interesting private distillation Hong Kong oud that has a strong tea facet that I think would sit nicely in a blend (it layers beautifully with P.Seven's Aged Tea, for example).
 
Black Stone by Scent_Talks is not just an oil blend but more of journey through time. A sacred passage into the heart of ancient lands, where earth, spice, and venerable woods converge. Similaritieswith some Kabaa blends but with more oomph.

The opening is luminous, jasmine unfurls with intoxicating brightness, joined by the regal allure of taif rose tamed with tuberose. These florals don’t simply bloom, they sing, their voices woven around a subtle musk that lingers at the heart.

Then comes the whisper of mitti, and it is perfect. So rarely have I come across mitti being used with such clarity, still projecting through the louder notes. It is the unmistakable scent of rain on sun baked earth, seamlessly paired with the earthy green depth of vetiver.

As the fragrance deepens, the dry down reveals a golden warmth, sandalwood perfectly binded with amber anddelicate strands of saffron, and a tapestry of spices and resins. The musk here is enigmatic, hard to identify whixh region yet undeniably present. Its depth entwined with the dark, resinous embrace of ancient cambodian oud. Together, they form a heart that feels both powerful and profoundly balanced.

The entire experience is like stepping into the sacred presence of Masjid Al-Haram, standing before the Black Stone itself, majestic, timeless, and profoundly moving
 
Last edited:
Gonna have to reply to the tag here @Joe!

scent_talks - Cuir de Tabac - I've been wearing this for about two to three days non-stop, can't seem to get enough of it! I wear it before bed, and the first thing when I wake up in the morning! Yet when I first tried this scent, I wasn't even sure it was for me! I've been looking for a tobacco and leather attar for ages, something brisk, masculine, almost in your face levels of strength, complexity and ruggedness, and I think I've found it here, at least when it comes to this sub genre of tobacco based attars. Cuir de Tabac is shift from several other tobacco based blends doctor saab has released. I wouldn't say any of them are mainstream friendly, but they play on the sweeter facets of the note a lot higher in the scent pyramind. In Cuir de Tabac, you're faced with a spicy tobacco right from the start, it's sinus clearing and almost like submerging one's head into a pot of masala chai! But to say the top of Cuir de Tabac is simply that, would also be unfair. The spices (think oregano and coriander) are allowed to lift themselves, nothing overly cinnamon heavy or nutmeg-y or even sweetened with vanilla! So what's next to the spices? Well there's a beautiful resinous amber accord which is playing off the shadow of the top notes, this is the period I find myself most drawn to the scent, because the contrast of the brash top notes gives way to something which feels cozy and relaxing, yet not boring or overdone! There's so much more I haven't highlighted but I'll emphasize one part, what makes this fragrance a love, is that lack of going down the well trodden path of adding a bunch of candy sweetness to a spicy tobacco top. Everything feels present yet light and airy, it's like there's a mentholic undertone to the whole scent, which if you know me, is something I absolutely adore! It makes it feel like a sophisticated, masculine attar, and something which can be worn in the daylight or the night, and doesn't go down the route of making you smell like a cookie! (I'm looking at you Spicebomb Extreme.....)

Overall it's a spicy, smokey tobacco top, which herbal facets which transitions to a resinous and slightly spicy mid and then into the most beautiful, animalic heavy dry down (but done with caution and precision). It's an invigorating fragrance, continually giving me pleasure upon each sniff, throughout its life! I wear it before important meetings, when I have to study or just when I need focus and boost my confidence!
I have two bottles of it, definitely a must-have for tobacco lovers. Very masculine, smelling it feels like I’m wearing a leather jacket smoking a cigarette outside a bar leaning on my Harley Davidson bike, full on macho
 
Sulaym - Elysium (Édition de Musc)

This is a real banger! It began like the first edition but the A/C is broken in hot climate and that makes the scent even stronger.

Beautiful florals and ambergris notes. Beneath a musk that’s formidable. The florals feel toned down from the first edition due to this. But this iteration just feels right. The combination is more refined and enjoyable just as much as the first edition. But I think I prefer this one due to the added musk. It’s not in your face, but it’s there and the musk maceration went beautifully, producing a rich and balanced result. And the Oud is top notch stuff. Every element shines in this beauty.

Really happy now.

Thanks for the Mahogany Cap and putting out a great Attar. @SULAYM

View attachment 50420
Beautiful review @mobyus
 
Ruh Gulab from @AlHind Oud - once again studying this unusual rose oil to try to broaden my understanding of rose in general. This one is distinctly tangy, juicy, and fruity and transitions to a classic damascena base.

And a little bit of the ambergris resinoid that Tyson prepared back in the day. This one was the finest of the resinoids I sampled - had the most refined and simple ambergris clean aroma. it is a brittle solid - you can see little scratch marks in the waxy bloom that formed on the surface. quite mild but a very beautiful scent that captures the most appealing aspects of the aroma to me with none of the bad breath or dung. I purchased three of these, two of them were like this, (the other I mixed 50-50 with my old 2002 tamil nadu sandal). this is one of those things that I don't really know what to do with so I just open it up every once in a while to catch up with and remind myself. Someday it will end up in some special blend or another. 🙂

The third was actually a brown pourable material with a sweet benzoin aroma and some halitosis notes - a little mystery there as it is a distinctly different raw material, being liquid and vanilla-like. I know each piece of ambergris brings its own characteristics based on its history age and origin.

IMG_1996.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I wanted to have one true ambergris oil/attar in my stash. If white ambergris resinoid with this fine odor was a liquid, I would just wear that, but it isn't. My layering experiments had me feeling like sandalwood was harmonious with ambergris so I made a 50% mixture by melting the ambergris into the sandalwood. The result is what is pictured here. I just keep it as a reference material and put on a tiny dab when I want to remind myself of the aroma. It remained pourable for several months but after sitting for years it has crystallized back into a slushy semi-solid.

This was from very old white ambergris so it is just that clean marine mineral and light ambroxide note over the backdrop of sandalwood. The ambergris note is strong enough to have a kind of full, chalky presence if that makes sense - there's a certain kind of chalkiness to white ambergris when powdered and that is captured here a bit.

I'm excited to smear a little bit on a mica sheet and heat it up on the subitism.

IMG_1999.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top