Civet attar from @Al Shareef Oudh
A very kind and generous brother gave me a small sample of this and it’s reached my expectations and surpassed it.
It’s very skillfully blended, to the point that I can’t tell apart the certain ingredients, from what I can pick up there’s spices, definitely frankincense or similar resin(s), and of course civet.
I haven’t applied it yet, only smelled it from the jar, it’s got a smokey, calming incense note to it, very floral, the civet is apparent but not overwhelming or covering anything, overall a very “ancient” feeling attar if this makes sense. When it first dropped here my budget was already tied to other projects, and I wish I had budgeted for this civet attar because it’s not something you’d want to miss.
I applied some to my skin, the dry down is sweet and fruity, I’d like to say there’s a good amount of dark vanilla like sweetness in the end, long lasting too.
 
@LasLunas kindly left me with samples of four different helichrysum oils - origins are Corsica and France. The waves also identify chemotypes - one for example was high in alpha pinene, another in neryl acetate.

The difference between the aroma of the actual plant and the oils is pretty striking. The first time I smelled the oil I was a little bit let down because I wanted it to have that dense curry / masala aroma of the plant itself. This is not captured in the essential oils or the absolute I have, which makes me want to grow some and try to make a resinoid... i've come to really love the absolute for its unusual fixative properties and the essential oil is complex and fascinating.

The oils are bright, fruity in a way, sweet, herbal, boozy... because I have not really spent time studying this material, these shared features are what are standing out at the moment. I am currently wearing a little swipe of the Croatian that was high in neryl acetate. Bright sweet sugary aroma that somehow brings bright golden sunshine to mind. thanks @LasLunas - I am slowly working my way through some of the materials I got from you!
 
Sokkat AlTeeb - First Prachin Oud
Oud Stories - Isparta Rose oil

I’ve said before that Prachin Oud is an amazing base to mix with a rose oil. This blend brings a deep resinous warmth of the Prachin. And the crisp brightness of the rose. Which brings a rich blend between earth and florals.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
@LasLunas kindly left me with samples of four different helichrysum oils - origins are Corsica and France. The waves also identify chemotypes - one for example was high in alpha pinene, another in neryl acetate.

The difference between the aroma of the actual plant and the oils is pretty striking. The first time I smelled the oil I was a little bit let down because I wanted it to have that dense curry / masala aroma of the plant itself. This is not captured in the essential oils or the absolute I have, which makes me want to grow some and try to make a resinoid... i've come to really love the absolute for its unusual fixative properties and the essential oil is complex and fascinating.

The oils are bright, fruity in a way, sweet, herbal, boozy... because I have not really spent time studying this material, these shared features are what are standing out at the moment. I am currently wearing a little swipe of the Croatian that was high in neryl acetate. Bright sweet sugary aroma that somehow brings bright golden sunshine to mind. thanks @LasLunas - I am slowly working my way through some of the materials I got from you!
Enjoy the journey. I love that Croatian aroma profile. Nice with a bit of rose absolute or a touch of spearmint! I hope you are having fun with it.
 
Enjoy the journey. I love that Croatian aroma profile. Nice with a bit of rose absolute or a touch of spearmint! I hope you are having fun with it.
Just swiped from the bottle labeled Corsica SP. Beautiful bright sunny aroma. I would love to see a GCMS report sorted by percent composition for an oil like this. Am i smelling nerolidol? I don't know my aromachems at all... but there's some connection maybe, I have a sample of that one. This simplified analysis doesn't show any though

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
rei ryoko concentrate is what I'm wearing at the moment, trying to understand this unusual oil. It's a very dark green almost black from the chlorophyll… Smell from the bottle is musky and medicinal.

It's got a semi smokey, musky bitter phenolic initial presence on skin, a bit off putting it first, but quickly settles to a very persistent diffusive fenugreek type aroma. I'm sure many of you have smelled that fenugreek/curry type note in some Japanese incense sticks, and very likely it is coming from this herb. It's Latin name is Lysimachia foenum-graecum

IMG_1762.jpeg
 
Elysium - Sulaym

It open with soft florals, and a refined amber base that radiates elegance and freshness. It completely overtaken the aged Ceylani I’m wearing.

I wanted to get a whiff of it before I receive the new iteration. Damn though this scent is hard to beat. I still have plenty of this though.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Elysium - Sulaym

It open with soft florals, and a refined amber base that radiates elegance and freshness. It completely overtaken the aged Ceylani I’m wearing.

I wanted to get a whiff of it before I receive the new iteration. Damn though this scent is hard to beat. I still have plenty of this though.

View attachment 50398
Man, @mobyus , your fragrance collection must be HUGE!
 
Just swiped from the bottle labeled Corsica SP. Beautiful bright sunny aroma. I would love to see a GCMS report sorted by percent composition for an oil like this. Am i smelling nerolidol? I don't know my aromachems at all... but there's some connection maybe, I have a sample of that one. This simplified analysis doesn't show any though

View attachment 50369
I have the batch numbers I brought to you. When I get home from my Moms tmw night ai will forward the GC/MS spectra to you
 
Rose de Damas from Scentient Nature (a resident artisan specializing in fine oils located in Switzerland). Goes by @Adweeya Mufriha here on Ouddict.

This is a delightful clean damask rose, grown in India without any of the accessory notes that I have come to associate with Indian gulab. I don't put very high confidence in my knowledge of Indian rose oil, but it seems like the majority of samples have this certain earthy mineral aspect and a kind of geranium oriented thick velvety presence. I've always assumed this had something to do with the deg process not the roses themselves.

This oil kind of confirms that for me although I still see this all as a tentative hypothesis - this does not have that same type of deg rose otto aroma, it smells much more like a very fine Bulgarian or select Turkish oil. And those both smell like each when they are of the more select expensive type in my experience.

Very nice saturated top note, like all otto the symphony of top notes are almost glaring and blinding if you apply more than a trace or a dilute spray. Applied with discretion, it presents a beautiful tangy slightly citrusy balanced damascena bouquet.
 
Rose de Damas from Scentient Nature (a resident artisan specializing in fine oils located in Switzerland). Goes by @Adweeya Mufriha here on Ouddict.

This is a delightful clean damask rose, grown in India without any of the accessory notes that I have come to associate with Indian gulab. I don't put very high confidence in my knowledge of Indian rose oil, but it seems like the majority of samples have this certain earthy mineral aspect and a kind of geranium oriented thick velvety presence. I've always assumed this had something to do with the deg process not the roses themselves.

This oil kind of confirms that for me although I still see this all as a tentative hypothesis - this does not have that same type of deg rose otto aroma, it smells much more like a very fine Bulgarian or select Turkish oil. And those both smell like each when they are of the more select expensive type in my experience.

Very nice saturated top note, like all otto the symphony of top notes are almost glaring and blinding if you apply more than a trace or a dilute spray. Applied with discretion, it presents a beautiful tangy slightly citrusy balanced damascena bouquet.
Sounds beautiful!
 
Back
Top