Oud Stories - Bulgarian Rose Oil
Sokkat AlTeeb - First Prachin Oud Oil

The Smoky sweet aspects of the Prachin mix well with the velvety brightness of the Bulgarian rose. It creates an elegant ambience.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Oakmoss, plain and simple. 🙂

I'm currently drawing a blank on the name of the molecule that forms these needle-like crystals, but they are apparently a feature of authentic oak moss.


[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Finally got a chance to smell Boronia thanks to @LasLunas 🙂 Source is Hermitage so I assume it is of decent quality.

quite an interesting material that brings quite disparate elements together into one pleasant thing - I am reminded of orange peel pith, taos sage, some unique fine high airy floral, maybe a trace of leptospermum or fragonia. Wild stuff! This one triggers very specific vivid associations, whereas I find many other materials relatively abstract.
 
Oakmoss, plain and simple. 🙂

I'm currently drawing a blank on the name of the molecule that forms these needle-like crystals, but they are apparently a feature of authentic oak moss.


View attachment 50236
I read that these are Lichen acids; actually from sublimation then crystallize into solid state.
Whatever the structure I must tell everyone that this is a glorious oakmoss absolute. I had the urge to inhale the scent until I simply fainted out of pure joy.
 
Boronia... sage brush tinged desert air blowing through a field of flowers (and into my nose). Interesting material!
 
- Fat swipe of Aged Cambodi mixed with 5 drops of ASO's Ward Ta'ifi and some amount of Winter Mukhallat by Maysam Co.
- Sampler swipes of Aged Prachin mixed with An Najwa's Gul e Muhammadi (Kashan Rose)
- A drop on right arm of scent_talks Al Khateeb - a brilliant floral top masterpiece with Jasmine Gardanflorium, Davana, Rose, and Osmanthus, alongside the usual animalics with oakmoss and tobacco, a sensational blend but very overpowering, great for the summer, and perhaps the most unisex of doctor saab's blends I've tried to date. Starts off with a beautiful floral symphony, where neither the Jasmine nor the Rose are overtaking, and then transitions into a cool amber accord, which feels densely sweet but airy without any peppery-ness finally resting on a base of tamed animalics. It's a stunning creation and one which embodies its name fully. Wore it for the first time yesterday and got to experience it's transitions through the heat, and it sustained its character! It's a very likable scent but that doesn't take away from its wow factor. Sometimes I crave some of the heavier compositions of doctor saab's, but in the hot weather we've been having recently, nothing is better suited, at least for my tastes!
 
Enjoyed another swipe of the attar @AlHind Oud recently distilled - Ck, Sumatran oud, and sandalwood distilled into a receiver filled with rose oil - Bilquis al Ward. I feel like I detect the AlHind signature in the extraction, there are some interesting animalic qualities that emerge from the interplay of oud and rose. The sandalwood is a good carrier and it somehow allows CK to come through nicely (I'm not crazy about the way it mutes some other species/types of oud but here it is transparent to the CK). this is a very young oil so I'm curious to see how it will change as it ages a little bit.

I enjoy this type of attar in a general sense - it is complex and engaging but not overpowering. Restrained and simple enough that each of the elements can be appreciated. Reminds me of some of the best food… Simple, high-quality fresh ingredients, cooked by someone who knows the right times, temperatures, and seasoning. Think insalata caprese. 🙂

again, bold move to distill into a receiver filled with Rose otto!!
 
Last edited:
on my other arm I have a layering experiment going on… dilutions of jasmines and Rose in santalol isolate. I prepared 10% dilutions of a variety of raw materials in santalol about a year ago thinking I would try making some attars. Right after I made these my source for affordable santalol isolate dried up with zero alternatives available, so that got sidelined.

The isolate is a biotech fermentation type - not quite the same as sandalwood but it has a good balance of alpha and beta and a pretty interesting material on its own right, gives you a little perspective on sandalwood oil that's for sure. Has a little bit of that atlas cedar adjacent note sandalwood oil develops as well.

so it's not bad and it provides a reasonable medium for experimenting with sandal based attar formulations. but it is no longer available in the US and the only isolate that is available is priced at the same price as sandalwood oil so no point.

I am very much enjoying a layering of santalol, jasmine grand and rose absolute - just a classic aroma to me - nothing fancy I don't know what the ratio was I just layered a couple of swipes - reminding me of some decent agarbatthis i once smelled.
 
Enjoyed another swipe of the attar @AlHind Oud recently distilled - Ck and sandalwood distilled into a receiver filled with rose oil - Bilquis al Ward. I feel like I detect the AlHind signature in the extraction, there are some interesting animalic qualities that emerge from the interplay of oud and rose. The sandalwood is a good carrier and it somehow allows CK to come through nicely (I'm not crazy about the way it mutes some other species/types of oud but here it is transparent to the CK). this is a very young oil so I'm curious to see how it will change as it ages a little bit.

I enjoy this type of attar in a general sense - it is complex and engaging but not overpowering. Restrained and simple enough that each of the elements can be appreciated. Reminds me of some of the best food… Simple, high-quality fresh ingredients, cooked by someone who knows the right times, temperatures, and seasoning. Think insalata caprese. 🙂

again, bold move to distill into a receiver filled with Rose otto!!
Along with CK and Sandalwood, there’s Sumatran Oud as well.
 
Along with CK and Sandalwood, there’s Sumatran Oud as well.
I see - well in retrospect I'm not surprised to hear it. There is some kick to the oud that is a bit different from the ck oils I have sniffed. I thought that was some kind of interaction with the Rose, or perhaps a you had used white kinam which I am not as experienced with (mostly I have smelled green). No doubt that was the Sumatran!
 
- Fat swipe of Aged Cambodi mixed with 5 drops of ASO's Ward Ta'ifi and some amount of Winter Mukhallat by Maysam Co.
- Sampler swipes of Aged Prachin mixed with An Najwa's Gul e Muhammadi (Kashan Rose)
- A drop on right arm of scent_talks Al Khateeb - a brilliant floral top masterpiece with Jasmine Gardanflorium, Davana, Rose, and Osmanthus, alongside the usual animalics with oakmoss and tobacco, a sensational blend but very overpowering, great for the summer, and perhaps the most unisex of doctor saab's blends I've tried to date. Starts off with a beautiful floral symphony, where neither the Jasmine nor the Rose are overtaking, and then transitions into a cool amber accord, which feels densely sweet but airy without any peppery-ness finally resting on a base of tamed animalics. It's a stunning creation and one which embodies its name fully. Wore it for the first time yesterday and got to experience it's transitions through the heat, and it sustained its character! It's a very likable scent but that doesn't take away from its wow factor. Sometimes I crave some of the heavier compositions of doctor saab's, but in the hot weather we've been having recently, nothing is better suited, at least for my tastes!
You know your notes! You and @mesOUD did a great job educating! And there's always time to learn more.
 
Working on new attars...

On the left back hand one with iris and musk and on the other hand one with tonka and musk.
auspicious beginnings. 🙂
 
Not quite Joe, these were the publicly listed notes :Laugh: I wish I had a nose as distinguishing, but I fear I'd not be able to figure out a Jasmine-Rose accord if I was smelling it on its own.
I am a bit traumatized by my past attempts to identify the parts of complex blends 😂 . I mean sometimes things stand out, sometimes I get lucky, but in general…
 
Civet attar from @Al Shareef Oudh
A very kind and generous brother gave me a small sample of this and it’s reached my expectations and surpassed it.
It’s very skillfully blended, to the point that I can’t tell apart the certain ingredients, from what I can pick up there’s spices, definitely frankincense or similar resin(s), and of course civet.
I haven’t applied it yet, only smelled it from the jar, it’s got a smokey, calming incense note to it, very floral, the civet is apparent but not overwhelming or covering anything, overall a very “ancient” feeling attar if this makes sense. When it first dropped here my budget was already tied to other projects, and I wish I had budgeted for this civet attar because it’s not something you’d want to miss.
 
Back
Top