scent_talks - Tripura Tiger - It's been really cold here recently, we got a bunch of early snow, and I've been craving a warming sort of mukhallat but not one which was heavy on the spices. This one is simple, Aged Hindi Oud, Aged Amber, and Musk, that's it, simple right, but the resulting blend is anything but! First off the Amber isn't overpowering the Oud as is often the case, since it's a hard aromatic to dose correctly. The Aged Hindi Oud is the star of the show here, deeply chocolatey with a faint nutty facet and and an incense-y backbone. I believe this'll be too animalic for most, but for me it's just right, a warming chocolatey oud, with brush strokes of Amber to sweeten it just slight, (and it's not a herbal or overly sweet Amber either) and resting underneath that, the beauty of musk macerated in Hindi Oud. It'll bloom on your skin so give it time, and swipe some off your hand onto your woolen garments. It's a rustic scent, recalling images of nomadic horse tribes on snow touch steppes, raw leather mixed with arid, dry fields, with sparse vegetation, and just the resilience of living in a climate and environment which makes you constantly struggle. It's a frontier scent, of a Khan sitting in his yurt, if Zuhur ul Amber is his Jummah scent, and if Ruh ul Quds is reserved for meeting dignitaries, then Tripura Tiger is his every cologne. Not an everyday you or I could understand but which we're drawn into through this incredible scent. The late dry down of this is exceptionally good, and much like a new horse, this scent which ride you, until you can handle it, and then you'll be hooked! Bear in mind, that a thought provoking, meditative Hindi in my eyes might not be something you even want to go near, however I think still this is more on the interesting side, rather than artistically putrid, as far as the oud used here goes!
 
Oudique - Gensei Patchouli Attar 2025

This Patchouli attar carries earthy, woody, herbal, camphorous, and sweet-resinous facets. There’s a cola-like scent it’s beautiful.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Patchouli.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 71
came upon a bottle of dilute l-muscone I made up a while back. This is a synthesized copy of the chemical that contributes the bulk of the body of the aroma to natural musk. Of course It doesn't remotely encapsulate the aroma of natural musk - instead it presents a highly refined narrow slice of the musk pie. Even if this is the dominant molecule that accounts for the main punch, it does not account for the rich broad complex array of notes that can only come from grains undergoing fermentation in a pod on a live deer.

I layered this with some patchoulol natural isolate, and at one point the two formed this really classic deep patchouli accord - it brought something into focus that I have smelled in the past but didn't realize exactly where it was coming from.

What is -fascinating- just from an educational point of view is to mix up something, check it out for a while, and then also try it with just a trace of the muscone. It's a funny material, transforming / exalting things without competing with them.

The pure muscone is surprising - when it is dilute (I am guessing at around the percentage that it's found in the grains) the connection to natural musk is clear. In higher concentrations it starts to resemble some of these artificial white musk / ambrettolide type scents. I don't know if this is an artifact of synthetic chemistry, or if it's just the nature of the molecule itself, and a natural isolate would be similar.

l-muscone and ambroxide are absurdly interesting molecules. i'm able to get a natural biotech/fermented ambroxide isolate, I wonder if this type of muscone will ever be a thing? for a number of reasons natural musk is not an option for me and I like these interesting alternatives… I love the botanical musks but the idea of a natural fermentation-made muscone is super appealing.
 
Last edited:
I don't know the level of snootiness on this thread but I am wearing Ajmal's Mukhallat Shams today. It is a nice synthetic hindi oud mukhallat vibe with mad longevity and sillage. Some days I go simple 🙂
There's naught wrong with a wee bit of Ajmal! When I'm feeling surly, and not likely to be around any of my sensitive family members, I like to put on a little swipe of the old AA musk gazelle! Stuff is a beast probably has synthetic materials but it is addictive and super rich. been a while since i have opened the tin it is sealed up in.
 
Last edited:
There's naught wrong with a wee bit of Ajmal! When I'm feeling surly, and not likely to be around any of my sensitive family members, I like to put on a little swipe of the old AA musk gazelle! Stuff is a beast probably has synthetic materials but it is addictive and super rich. been a while since i have opened the tin it is sealed up in.
Ah I remember the days of basenotes debates about whether AA musk gazelle was real musk !!! <3 I love it
 
Sulaym—HM Royal Jardin EdM
The one who dares to add musk to such an expensive and already perfect oil must be a brilliant and confident genius :
HM Royal Jardin OG to me is already a 10/10 rose-dominated rose-oud scent for me, but the added musk elevates the scent to the next level.
Compared to the OG version, Jardin EdM weakened the sweetness of the floral part and smoothed the sharpness of the transitional part. The musk here is detectable but not overpowering, gentle and graceful.
Then here comes the final boss: the maroke
The added musk leads the oud part to appear earlier, same vibe but apparently more pronounced and lasted way longer than the OG version.
Inhale and exhale, I kept sniffing it almost uncontrollably, just heavenly.
Jardin EdM is without doubt a phenomenal 10+/10 maroke-dominated rose-oud scent
Definitely full bottle worthy and luckily grabbed the last one
 
Last edited:
ASO - Yaqoot II (again)

After spending time with this apex attar I've come to the conclusion that the real magic is in the dry down. The opening is heavier on the oud with the musk gently surrounding the scent profile, but as it settles...the musk begins to bloom. Green, slightly earthy, sweet, nutty, powerful. Where does the oud begin and where does it end ? Where does the musk begin and where does it end ? I don't know, but that's the point. The combination is what makes it so great, its as though the oud and musk are one in perfect harmony.
 
Sulaym—HM Royal Jardin EdM
The one who dares to add musk to such an expensive and already perfect oil must be a brilliant and confident genius :
HM Royal Jardin OG to me is already a 10/10 rose-dominated rose-oud scent for me, but the added musk elevates the scent to the next level.
Compared to the OG version, Jardin EdM weakened the sweetness of the floral part and smoothed the sharpness of the transitional part. The musk here is detectable but not overpowering, gentle and graceful.
Then here comes the final boss: the maroke
The added musk leads the oud part to appear earlier, same vibe but apparently more pronounced and lasted way longer than the OG version.
Inhale and exhale, I kept sniffing it almost uncontrollably, just heavenly.
Jardin EdM is without doubt a phenomenal 10+/10 maroke-dominated rose-oud scent
Definitely full bottle worthy and luckily grabbed the last one
Great description. The musk really does elevate the fragrance which is, as you mentioned, already a beautiful oud rose. It was a really expensive and risky composition but 100% worth it. Would love to bring it back again in the future!
 
Sulaym—HM Royal Jardin EdM
The one who dares to add musk to such an expensive and already perfect oil must be a brilliant and confident genius :
HM Royal Jardin OG to me is already a 10/10 rose-dominated rose-oud scent for me, but the added musk elevates the scent to the next level.
Compared to the OG version, Jardin EdM weakened the sweetness of the floral part and smoothed the sharpness of the transitional part. The musk here is detectable but not overpowering, gentle and graceful.
Then here comes the final boss: the maroke
The added musk leads the oud part to appear earlier, same vibe but apparently more pronounced and lasted way longer than the OG version.
Inhale and exhale, I kept sniffing it almost uncontrollably, just heavenly.
Jardin EdM is without doubt a phenomenal 10+/10 maroke-dominated rose-oud scent
Definitely full bottle worthy and luckily grabbed the last one
The musk version is superior to the original without a doubt.
 
I don't know the level of snootiness on this thread but I am wearing Ajmal's Mukhallat Shams today. It is a nice synthetic hindi oud mukhallat vibe with mad longevity and sillage. Some days I go simple 🙂
I just got this on Tuesday or Monday of this week. I had to buy it overseas as it’s not sold in the US except on eBay. It only cost me $49 but shipping was $20, and customs tax was another flat $20. Luckily I like it as it was a blind buy. 😀
 
Sulaym - Elysium Édition de Musc

Sulaym’s Elysium ÈDM opens with a soft, airy sweetness from the florals and ambergris that feels instantly comforting, then settles into a clean, velvety musk that wraps everything in a warm glow. It’s one of those scents that feels effortlessly smooth. It’s quietly luxurious without trying too hard.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    Sulaym edm .webp
    54 KB · Views: 61
Sulaym - Elysium Édition de Musc

Sulaym’s Elysium ÈDM opens with a soft, airy sweetness from the florals and ambergris that feels instantly comforting, then settles into a clean, velvety musk that wraps everything in a warm glow. It’s one of those scents that feels effortlessly smooth. It’s quietly luxurious without trying too hard.
The floral-ambergris profile is the soul of the fragrance. The dry down does have an orris velvet glow which actually comes from the musk and Ylang Ylang interacting with each other. Great review as always thanks @mobyus. Elysium II takes inspiration from Elysium ÉdM but it will have Tibetan musk in it and a new mystery oud, yet to be unveiled.
 
The floral-ambergris profile is the soul of the fragrance. The dry down does have an orris velvet glow which actually comes from the musk and Ylang Ylang interacting with each other. Great review as always thanks @mobyus. Elysium II takes inspiration from Elysium ÉdM but it will have Tibetan musk in it and a new mystery oud, yet to be unveiled.
Elysium II ? When is that due for release if you don't mind me asking
 
The floral-ambergris profile is the soul of the fragrance. The dry down does have an orris velvet glow which actually comes from the musk and Ylang Ylang interacting with each other. Great review as always thanks @mobyus. Elysium II takes inspiration from Elysium ÉdM but it will have Tibetan musk in it and a new mystery oud, yet to be unveiled.
Elysium II ?! This is going to be interesting.
 
Lupus & Vega - Prayers/Wordless

I simply love this blend. I cycle through Shamama, Sanctum, Aureum, and Prayers/Wordless before going to sleep. It’s no longer exclusively a Shamama show.

I no longer want it before bed, I NEED it before bed. The ingredients that go into these blends don’t just induce sleep for me. They induce a bedside euphoria that reflects the quality that goes into them. And from my many conversations with @Joe is that he doesn’t compromise on quality ingredients. I wake up in a good mood every time.

This is not a commercial.
 
Lupus & Vega - Prayers/Wordless

I simply love this blend. I cycle through Shamama, Sanctum, Aureum, and Prayers/Wordless before going to sleep. It’s no longer exclusively a Shamama show.

I no longer want it before bed, I NEED it before bed. The ingredients that go into these blends don’t just induce sleep for me. They induce a bedside euphoria that reflects the quality that goes into them. And from my many conversations with @Joe is that he doesn’t compromise on quality ingredients. I wake up in a good mood every time.

This is not a commercial.
Go @Joe!! 😎
 
Back
Top