MesOUD - Begum OG II (sample)

I’m getting a light moldy-rosy sort of scent. I can smell white wine or Cava. It’s really a very unique kind of smell. I love it very much. Reminds me of breakfasts in Spain featuring sparkling wine paired with a good Eggs Royale. So let me home in on the moldy scent. It’s like old dusty library books that are ancient. I can smell the pages and the rich history it brings with them. I think that part is the Assam Oud as Assam has a winey note to it. Really beautiful stuff!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2574.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
cypress is such an interesting oil - I really need to try to find a few different sources of this to explore what variations there are out there. There are kind of two major facets to it… On the one hand a gin and Juniper like evergreen note that's a bit antiseptic feeling and quite evaporative and volatile. On the other hand there's this very long lasting note, almost like a refined and modified variation of the clean aspects of the ambergris aroma. it's persistent enough to survive a trip through the wash even when only a small amount has gotten onto the sleeves of a sweatshirt for example. I am very much interested in finding fractionated Cypress oil, I would love to get a Cypress base or heart fraction separated from the top fraction.
 
Not an attar but a single distilled note

Ruh Paarijaat - Night Flowering Jasmine
By Meena Perfumery, Kannauj

Isn't Jasmine at all, it's actually part of the Olive family, though it truly does smell like it!

Intensely sweet, honeyed florals, lifted by a vivid orange-like fruitiness and grounded by soft woody undertones.

Which image do you like best?

IMG_0858.webp IMG_0859.webp
 
small swipe of @The Oud Lab - Purple Haze... this attar frankly has me mind blown. in terms of evoking PURPLE in the mind, I place this right next to OR '82 for the sheer amount of purple. then the cooling - almost minty but not, almost mentholic but not, something more 3d than any of those descriptors. undercurrents of dry merauke jungle and ancient woods, potent oil a dot goes a long way. this is a 8k resolution laser beam of pure, dry, dense yet airy purple florals... Love!!
 
Not an attar but a single distilled note

Ruh Paarijaat - Night Flowering Jasmine
By Meena Perfumery, Kannauj

Isn't Jasmine at all, it's actually part of the Olive family, though it truly does smell like it!

Intensely sweet, honeyed florals, lifted by a vivid orange-like fruitiness and grounded by soft woody undertones.

Which image do you like best?

View attachment 54378 View attachment 54379
Ive been curious to find a trusted night blooming oil, thanks for the info i had no idea was an olive but am even more intrigued now
 
small swipe of @The Oud Lab - Purple Haze... this attar frankly has me mind blown. in terms of evoking PURPLE in the mind, I place this right next to OR '82 for the sheer amount of purple. then the cooling - almost minty but not, almost mentholic but not, something more 3d than any of those descriptors. undercurrents of dry merauke jungle and ancient woods, potent oil a dot goes a long way. this is a 8k resolution laser beam of pure, dry, dense yet airy purple florals... Love!!

When the nose knows 🔥🔥🔥
🌹🌹🌹
 
Bolton’s Apogee - Aroma Sublime
Sultan Leather Attar- Ensar

A day of insane opulence for no real reason. I started the day with the first and ended it with the second. These are somehow two faces of the same coin. . Voluptuous, sensual And sensuous. Almost florid. Almost too much. but not really because I could happy roll around in either one all day long.
 
I've had a chance to smell a few different red Indica rose ottos assuming the information I'm getting is accurate.

Such a nice complement to damascena otto! I'm a big fan of damascena, especially very fresh Bulgarian otto of this one particular kind that is sometimes obtainable… can occasionally have this beautiful clear peppery and green apple combination with balanced citrus and geranium and it's just perfect for me. Brings wild eglantine rose (AKA sweetbriar) to mind...

But the indica… It shares enough with the damascena to play a similar role but it brings these unique rosy elements that damascena ottos do not that I have encountered when smelling live roses of various types in gardens. I don't know how to describe these elements because they are fundamentally "rosy", unique to rose flowers, "rosy per se" and do not bring citrus or geranium or anything else to mind. My mind keeps wanting to say "petaly rose" but I recognize that doesn't have any specific meaning. I'm just very pleased to see these aspects of rose showing up in an oil because I expected to smell them when I first started searching out authentic rose oil back in the late 80s, but these notes are not part of the damascena and centifolia rose oil profile.
 
Hekayat - Al Shareed Oud
Ward Al Bahr - Yusa

Two boxes of mostly samples from my storage space. Diving back in and re-appreciating things. Double dose of animalics. Sandal musk, rose ambergris. Apologies to ASO and Hekayat for underestimating this attar. The sandalwood is so strong that I hadn’t been able to smell the musk, but man oh man am I getting a full dose today.
 
lupus & vega heaven & earth

Journeyed through some rich lush Papuan jungle to find a patch of blue lotuses. They bloomed about half an hour ago and now their fragrances mixes with pure jungle oudiness to form magic. So much that I had to put this review in pronto.
It’s so good - I have tiny sample which I am going to cherish. I’d love for Joe to do some kind of redux even if it won’t be possible to replicate it.
 
Kishmir II - An Najwa (sample)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh My God is this hitting so perfectly right now. That mint note is just so genius.The way it slips and slides over the musk which is just blazing for me at the moment. Both powdery and animalic playing hide and seek in the cola/ tea aspects this attar has. I absolutely need to upgrade to the full size bottle.

Edit: I hope I didnt jinx myself. Please don't by it all before I can afford a bottle.
 
Last edited:
"Mimosa Supreme" absolute from Fraterworks, 50% in etoh. Smells like typical mimosa, par for the course, not sure what makes it "supreme". The 50% solution in ethanol is a mess because it's actually not dissolved and so there's this runny alcohol liquid and then thick waxy parts that are not dissolving etc. Pure mimosa is difficult to work with but I would not recommend buying a 50% solution or at least not this one.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top