Trying some of my 7% Siberian musk in Yusa Patchouli Cola maceration. This is about 6.5 months old.

@Shiningrobes tried this combo before me and reported good results.

The patch now has a burnished, golden quality. I am getting bakery notes - pain d’épices, ginger cake, golden syrup. At first I don’t smell anything animal and certainly no piss. Very alluring and sniffable.

I still have nearly a full tola of patch cola, so I swiped some of that neat for comparison. Only after sniffing the neat patch did I start to detect a slight animalic note in the maceration - weird!

Before and after pics here.
View attachment 55922
View attachment 55923
side by side comparisons are very revealing for a couple of reasons, one of which is that one develops olfactory fatigue for the shared notes a bit more quickly than for the differences since
there is more exposure, and the differences
stand out a bit due to that. in fact one can deliberately induce fatigue for parts of a perfume to better tune into other parts. For example, taking a deep whiff of pure patchouli before smelling a test blend with patchouli in it will let you subtract the patchouli effect and smell the other parts clearly.
 
Last edited:
Trying some of my 7% Siberian musk in Yusa Patchouli Cola maceration. This is about 6.5 months old.

@Shiningrobes tried this combo before me and reported good results.

The patch now has a burnished, golden quality. I am getting bakery notes - pain d’épices, ginger cake, golden syrup. At first I don’t smell anything animal and certainly no piss. Very alluring and sniffable.

I still have nearly a full tola of patch cola, so I swiped some of that neat for comparison. Only after sniffing the neat patch did I start to detect a slight animalic note in the maceration - weird!

Before and after pics here.
View attachment 55922
View attachment 55923
If that’s 7% then I used a lot less. Just had to swipe mine to test. It really amped up the spice but it still has the original DNA. It smells different every time. Right now after it’s fully open it has a very distinct rose note. Specifically a dry rose and patchouli blend. (But I did seal something for work using a nasty solvent based acrylic so my nose might be really off). Hope I can score more before the current batch is gone forever.
 
Last edited:
Oud and Mood - Just Once

I’ve been dabbling in these GCC blends that include some awesome and way out there ingredients. This is one of them.

It has a golden syrupy honey texture accompanied by the most beautiful scent of Omani Hojari frankincense. It has a blend of 19 Ouds with the Cambodi Oud being the most prominent. Also, present is the amazing smell of fresh rose, patchouli and Vétiver. I’m getting some cardamom undertones from this that’s quite pleasant. This is a really beautiful blend.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Today, a personal blend. I tried out Liberty's shamama - proported to be a traditional S. Album / Malaccenis blend with other herbs done traditionally. Unfortunately, it seemed a bit light, so i've been dialing in both the sandal and oud notes with some blending stock. It's still got that shamama 12 herbs and spices aroma, but now has the oud and sandal more to the forefront. So I guess its now both an attar and a mukhallat or something. Regardless, it's hitting the right notes for a nice indoor project Sunday. The top notes of the sandal (a sharp, but buttery young album) with the barn hindi notes take the stage, with the warmth of the other spice blends layering for depth. I'm not sure what it'll do as it drys down, this sandal has staying power, so it should carry it for a while even as the shamama tapers off. Certainly seems to punch above its individual parts. May conitnue to augment over time. It seems to be nice without the hint of rose/floral, but that might be interesting. A more successful project than the CK fractions comparison from this morning.
I just tried this yesterday. Respectable for CO2 extracts in my opinion. Their Majmua Udd is a treat.
 
I just tried this yesterday. Respectable for CO2 extracts in my opinion. Their Majmua Udd is a treat.
ha, i didn't even notice it was CO2, some of their others are distilled. Still I feel fairly light for the style. Mine is far more enjoyable with a small amount of oud and sandal (budget the both of em) added. Actually just grabbed a little more Yaqub Super Malik Shamama to do the same treatment (add more santal/oud, treat it more like an ingredient rather than standalone attar) to customize it. As that's real nice on its own, but I think I can make it better still.
 
Last edited:
@mesOUD naseem attar today

Inspired by recent reports of folks wearing (and not hoarding every drop 😂) of mesOuds I opened up my bottle of Naseem. It’s a beautiful haunting mindful attar - just slows down time and opens up the sinuses chakras etc. Citrus elements keep it lively but all energies are balanced. Very nice!
 
ha, i didn't even notice it was CO2, some of their others are distilled. Still I feel fairly light for the style. Mine is far more enjoyable with a small amount of oud and sandal (budget the both of em) added. Actually just grabbed a little more Yaqub Super Malik Shamama to do the same treatment (add more santal/oud, treat it more like an ingredient rather than standalone attar) to customize it. As that's real nice on its own, but I think I can make it better still.
I do the same with their Majmua. I’m wearing it today goosed with a little Mitti, Assam oud, and a tiny dash of Labdanum.
 
@mesOUD naseem attar today

Inspired by recent reports of folks wearing (and not hoarding every drop 😂) of mesOuds I opened up my bottle of Naseem. It’s a beautiful haunting mindful attar - just slows down time and opens up the sinuses chakras etc. Citrus elements keep it lively but all energies are balanced. Very nice!

Today my Naseem including package also reached me out, during the lunch break i used it for the first time. (Purchased it from a parfumo user who can be active also in this forum, selam/greetings to him also)

Till yet, i did not know that casteroum is actually lovable product 😄 of course in hands of an artist like Brother Mehmet

Even after 6 hours it still radiates beauty, easily detectable.. sillage and longevity is suprising for a natural attar

Thanks @mesOUD for this art.

This is my first @mesOUD product, and it seems that it wont be the last one
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_4441.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
Today my Naseem including package also reached me out, during the lunch break i used it for the first time. (Purchased it from a parfumo user who can be active also in this forum, selam/greetings to him also)

Till yet, i did not know that casteroum is actually lovable product 😄 of course in hands of an artist like Brother Mehmet

Even after 6 hours it still radiates beauty, easily detectable.. sillage and longevity is suprising for a natural attar

Thanks @mesOUD for this art.

This is my first @mesOUD product, and it seems that it wont be the last one
You are very welcome brother
May it accompany your beautiful memories
 
Bourhan Oud - Mukhalat AlDeera

This blend is comprised of chunks of Sandalwood, Maroke amber, musk, Vétiver, pure saffron, Maroke Oud, chocolate essential oil, patchouli, Prachin Oud, Cambodi Qadeem oud, and Omani Frankincense, Alsace’s amber, mint, Vietnamese Oud.

Scent wise it feels woody, the Prachin takes over a lot of the scent profile. I’m not getting much of the other ingredients. It feels oudy and woody. Overall, very boring and not as sweet as I thought it would be. I like chasing what this guy does though as it’s always over the top. Stay tuned for the “General”.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_3167.webp
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
White rose absolute from risingsunbotanicals/violetglassforever.
Really good absolute of a white rosa alba bulgaria. Transforms oudh into an amazing sophisticated oudh rose blend. I have tried blending with Cambodian and Hindi oudhs.
On its own it has a soothing and calming effect.
This apothecary is low pofile but hands down the best quality for botanicals right now in US.
I have tried their Blue Lotuses (Thai and Srilankan) as well. Amazing stuff.
 
kyara attar! its extremely elegant, electric pinkish violet florals, the perfect oudiness used to emulate the kyara backbone...it vibrates many green and kyara notes and the drydown is just ridiculous! the drydown are perfect green/purple notes. so many times i tried again and again to make an attar that actually smells like kyara and i have come close many times some more than the others but only one time was actually worthy and this time is even better....this time it is better than many kyaras and i cant believe it actually happened. i cant believe how simple it is to make but still without specific ingredients its not possible lol so it is simple but its not. there really isnt an exact portion, its just 7 ingredients and i still cant believe i did it. its a kyara floral that blows minds. the kyara extract that has been brewing with white ambergris all these years has been magnified like crazy by the ingredients and it seems like all the non kyara ingredients are trying to copy the aroma of the kyara notes in their own way and are doing an amazing job. i wonder how it will evolve in a year from now.
 
Bourhan Oud - The General

Ok I watched the video of this guy and his buddies blending this blend, and it’s a sight for sore eyes for those who love to see precious materials going into a blend. Just watching the Ambergris being broken down into chunks and Ouds carefully opened and decanted over it is awesome. They later unload it into what I would call a giant bedpan for aeration.

The ingredients:

- 88g of Pure Ambergris
- Laosi Oud
- Blend of Cambodi and Burmi ouds
- Malaysian Oud (Ajay)
- Indian Oud Blend (Ajay)
- Amouage (attar)
- Aged Cambodi Oud (2016 vintage)
- Sillage (Henry Jacques Royal Turquoise Collection)
- Poudre d’Or (Henry Jacques Royal Turquoise Collection)
- Audacious (Henry Jacques Royal Turquoise Collection)
- Quintessence (Henry Jacques Royal Turquoise Collection)
- I saw them add HJ Onction, don’t know why it’s not listed here.

Note: Ajay is the company that was distilling for Sultan Qaboos.

The review:

This blend is right up my alley. The first note is that of the Henry Jacques collection. Then comes the marine ambergris and the Ouds. Oh! The Ouds! They are magnificent, the fermentation of the HJs goes away and reveals the earthy, deep, rich, and silky Ouds used. I can almost tell them apart. Yet, they all meld together into one piece of art. The sharpness of the animalic Hindi Oud is drowned out by the HJ and ambergris. The Malaysian, Cambodi, and Burmi Ouds express themselves as warm, deep, rich, sharp, and spicy notes and in strong barrages of rubber, foliage, and soil.

Somehow, this hodgepodge of ingredients works. Having bought “Kehailan” which takes similar ingredients and blends them, I opted to buy a 1/4 tola, then my trigger finger bought a 1/2 tola. And I’m glad! I think one more bottle of SQ Oud would have made this blend perfect. But it already is an expression of debauchery with high-quality materials. It feels like these guys know what they’re doing. All in all, an amazing blend I can’t recommend enough.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_3170.webp
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
SULAYM — Eternal Rose

The opening hits hard. The projection is strong, almost filling the whole room with rose. It feels wild, and the Taif rose comes through intensely. That classic Damask character is vivid: a deep, saturated red rose. There's a distinct, lingering quality to it, along with spiciness. That spiciness carries into something almost soapy, and the whole thing feels a bit thick/dense.

Over time it becomes much more comfortable. It settles into black tea with honey. The Damask character fades into the background, leaving behind a sweet, quiet tea-like sweetness.

This is my first Taif rose attar, and it's really impressive.
 
I'm at a big reveal point where a bunch of home blend macerations are starting to hit their anniversary and becoming ready to wear (or as ready as they'll ever be).

I have quite a few built from a Sicilian Vanilla (RPP) attar base. Earlier this week I tested a blend that included: HM SQ (Burmi '79), Kymya's Burmi 2018, some Jabal Akhdar SQ rose (from memory - it may be a different SQ rose), Sicilian Vanilla and mongolian musk grain from sibermusk. The result is an opening with a slightly too jammy-acidic rose in the mix that dies down relatively quickly into what I was hoping for - a robust dark burgundy, base heavy blend perfect for winter. The leathery smokiness of the oud only starts to come forward into the tail towards the end of the day, which is something I have noticed with other blending experiments. Anyway, lovely though certainly confirms I'm no artisan.


Today I'm testing out a 'kinam rouge' inspired blend featuring: a mix of Khadijah (jasmine and champaca), osmanthus and rose (I can't remember from where, possibly taif), sicilian vanilla, JS grand emperor Hue (the varnish note was too overwhelming for me to wear neat), Al Hind's Vintage Viet Royale, Yusa's Senren (Hoi An), some mongolian musk from sibermusk and some SQ Civet paste from Sulaym. It's early in the wear, but the opening is a nice and creamy soft orangey-red hued boquet with a nicely balanced woodiness, which is a huge relief because I was a little worried about it ending up sickly sweet. I can detect some soft grey smokey qualities, I think from the civet paste, and am excited to see where the ride takes me into the heart and tail - I can already start to detect a nose tingly effect starting to creep through, which is what I was hoping for with this one, which seems to combine nicely with the light leathery smokiness from the civet. I suspect that another half year or so will help this one, but I think I can enjoy it in the meantime.

I'm wholly aware of the foolishness of toying with such high quality materials, but was finding myself drawn towards a sweet spot of wanting more oud than was financially viable for many retail blends, but also wanting an alternative to neat oils exclusively.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top