Fwakher - Husn AlShmookh SQ VIP

This is a 20 year old blend claimed to be a SQ collectible with the ingredients not fully known. But I can tell you for sure I can detect the aromas of deer musk, ambergris, Oud, and a beautiful floral bouquet. I think it has Hojari frankincense oil as well. It smells like the perfect blend of ingredients with the perfect ratio. It’s pretty heavy on the musk and ambergris. Very animalic and marine saline accompanied by a good dose of flower power and a light bodied Oud. Very beautiful. It has a homemade feel to it but regal. Heavily projection and sillage.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Last edited:
SULAYM — Eternal Rose

The opening hits hard. The projection is strong, almost filling the whole room with rose. It feels wild, and the Taif rose comes through intensely. That classic Damask character is vivid: a deep, saturated red rose. There's a distinct, lingering quality to it, along with spiciness. That spiciness carries into something almost soapy, and the whole thing feels a bit thick/dense.

Over time it becomes much more comfortable. It settles into black tea with honey. The Damask character fades into the background, leaving behind a sweet, quiet tea-like sweetness.

This is my first Taif rose attar, and it's really impressive.
My Eternal Rose is ready for pickup at DHL this afternoon. @trigintipetala ’s post intrigued me. Thanks.

@SULAYM , I can’t resist your rose ottos and attars. And your Elysium series so I will pick up Elysium II along with Eternal Rose. I’m excited! Thanks.
 
My Eternal Rose is ready for pickup at DHL this afternoon. @trigintipetala ’s post intrigued me. Thanks.

@SULAYM , I can’t resist your rose ottos and attars. And your Elysium series so I will pick up Elysium II along with Eternal Rose. I’m excited! Thanks.
To pile on the praise… Folks - I tried the new red ruby ghaliya from @SULAYM - it is astounding in my humble opinion. The fruity dank citrus burst coming from red ruby frankincense along with deep resin musk and gris is intoxicating. Very unique use of unique ingredients.
 
My Eternal Rose is ready for pickup at DHL this afternoon. @trigintipetala ’s post intrigued me. Thanks.

@SULAYM , I can’t resist your rose ottos and attars. And your Elysium series so I will pick up Elysium II along with Eternal Rose. I’m excited! Thanks.
Thanks so much, @ManilaDawn! I'm glad my review piqued your interest. Hope you enjoy Eternal Rose as much as I do!
 
Fwakher - Oud AlWard SQ VIP (sample)

This is definitely a really nice blend but I’m not too crazy about it. It’s definitely a Hindi blended with some rose and has SQ DNA. However, the scent profile isn’t “great”. There’s no barn at all, but there is this slight nice appealing cheese and liquor smell to the oud part of it. The scent evokes nice memories of the old days when I was younger. Odd, since that should trigger a favorable opinion. I’m indifferent about this one I guess.

I guess I got lucky blind-buying Husn AlShmookh which turned out amazing.

Edit: I’m actually thinking of buying this one. I’m starting to switch over. I’m remembering the scent.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_3222.webp
    76 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm at a big reveal point where a bunch of home blend macerations are starting to hit their anniversary and becoming ready to wear (or as ready as they'll ever be).

I have quite a few built from a Sicilian Vanilla (RPP) attar base. Earlier this week I tested a blend that included: HM SQ (Burmi '79), Kymya's Burmi 2018, some Jabal Akhdar SQ rose (from memory - it may be a different SQ rose), Sicilian Vanilla and mongolian musk grain from sibermusk. The result is an opening with a slightly too jammy-acidic rose in the mix that dies down relatively quickly into what I was hoping for - a robust dark burgundy, base heavy blend perfect for winter. The leathery smokiness of the oud only starts to come forward into the tail towards the end of the day, which is something I have noticed with other blending experiments. Anyway, lovely though certainly confirms I'm no artisan.


Today I'm testing out a 'kinam rouge' inspired blend featuring: a mix of Khadijah (jasmine and champaca), osmanthus and rose (I can't remember from where, possibly taif), sicilian vanilla, JS grand emperor Hue (the varnish note was too overwhelming for me to wear neat), Al Hind's Vintage Viet Royale, Yusa's Senren (Hoi An), some mongolian musk from sibermusk and some SQ Civet paste from Sulaym. It's early in the wear, but the opening is a nice and creamy soft orangey-red hued boquet with a nicely balanced woodiness, which is a huge relief because I was a little worried about it ending up sickly sweet. I can detect some soft grey smokey qualities, I think from the civet paste, and am excited to see where the ride takes me into the heart and tail - I can already start to detect a nose tingly effect starting to creep through, which is what I was hoping for with this one, which seems to combine nicely with the light leathery smokiness from the civet. I suspect that another half year or so will help this one, but I think I can enjoy it in the meantime.

I'm wholly aware of the foolishness of toying with such high quality materials, but was finding myself drawn towards a sweet spot of wanting more oud than was financially viable for many retail blends, but also wanting an alternative to neat oils exclusively.
Sicilian Vanilla (RPP) Is really nice - very good balance of vanilla and tobacco. I plan to order more. Interesting to use this as a base!
 
Lana and Hadi SQ Bakhoor absolute. This is utterly beautiful. Could be top 3 scents ever but I'm wondering about projection and performance, which do matter to me. I will have to further assess because 1) I'm in my room with AC blasting and 2) I got a smidge of one of the perfume samples that came with my order on my finger tips and that seems to be dominating.

But on to the scent: The most amazing oud chewing gum ever. Minty florals with smokey wood in the back. Something absolutely mouth watering about it. I think bakhoor is my favorite scent genre. So far, Prin's Saringkarn does it best. That beast of a fragrance smells very similar. But this absolute in fact smells better.

Anyone have thoughts about the performance of this absolute? And, any other similar fragrances?
 
Last edited:
SQ Majmua attar. A small sample from L&H. This is tremendously good. I only have ALD's Al Majmua as a reference for this revered genre of attar. I'm getting creamy melon, fizzy aquatics, curry leaf, dried lime, and crystalline rose, all wrapped up in a slightly smoky-spiky white musk. Ironically, the musk is what really draws me in and "seals the deal." It smells somewhat synthetic and reminds me of the kind of musk I've encountered in bakhoor or from many Arab/Middle Eastern attar houses, like Swiss Arabian. It's not the most natural smelling but it helps the fragrance come together as a perfume and perform well (from at least this half hour, it's pleasantly around me).

Last evening I tried the SQ Shamamtul amber. That one was interesting. It didn't register as amber to me at all and instead I got smoky woods, oakmoss, tobacco, salt, resins, and maybe a bit of olive. I was expecting to smell more or any labdanum or perhaps caramel ouds, and for it to be sticky and sweet (to some degree) but instead it's quite fierce while being somewhat thin, emanating "in the background." I imagined imediately how it might pair nicely with some ouds.
 
Bourhan Oud - AlQawiyya

Continuing on what Bourhan Oud loves to do by making these over the top blends. This blend contains the following:

- Bourhan Special Oud Oil
- Old Kalimantan Oud
- Cambodi Oud 1986
- Ceylani Oud Special cooked
- Amouage Oils (Suede Ibri, Tonka Misfah)
- Henry Jacques (No 8 de HJ)
- Henry Jacques (Laura F)
- Henry Jacques (Rose De France No1)
- Henry Jacques (Angelique)
- Zoba’ah Oil
- Nadirat Neshan
- Nadirat Jebreen
- General
- Fahad Blend

Review:

A bit disappointing as I want to experience the smell of the oud oils but all I’m getting is the smell of the perfumes. It’s smells beautiful, floral, divine, but I’m not getting any scent of any of the Ouds. “General” was a better buy in my opinion.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_3286.webp
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
Bourhan Oud - AlQawiyya

Continuing on what Bourhan Oud loves to do by making these over the top blends. This blend contains the following:

- Bourhan Special Oud Oil
- Old Kalimantan Oud
- Cambodi Oud 1986
- Ceylani Oud Special cooked
- Amouage Oils (Suede Ibri, Tonka Misfah)
- Henry Jacques (No 8 de HJ)
- Henry Jacques (Laura F)
- Henry Jacques (Rose De France No1)
- Henry Jacques (Angelique)
- Zoba’ah Oil
- Nadirat Neshan
- Nadirat Jebreen
- General
- Fahad Blend

Review:

A bit disappointing as I want to experience the smell of the oud oils but all I’m getting is the smell of the perfumes. It’s smells beautiful, floral, divine, but I’m not getting any scent of any of the Ouds. “General” was a better buy in my opinion.
This approach to attar making is… interesting 🙂 Especially blending oils and perfumes. almost the inverse of the artisanal co-distilled attars we see here sometimes.
 
This approach to attar making is… interesting 🙂 Especially blending oils and perfumes. almost the inverse of the artisanal co-distilled attars we see here sometimes.
What I did was take AlQawiyya and blend it with Mukhallat AlDeera (a bland and bitter oud attar) which I also bought from Bourhan Oud. The result was amazing! So I’ll review that next time.
 
This approach to attar making is… interesting 🙂 Especially blending oils and perfumes. almost the inverse of the artisanal co-distilled attars we see here sometimes.
I've done similar things but not on this scale of ingredients and price. It's kinda insane to see Amouage, HJ, and oud all in a blend. My personal preference has been to decant 5 or 10 ml of a vintage fragrance (Bal d Versailles, Antaeus, Rochas Femme) and add some oud and/or rose.
 
Back
Top