Did my first “official” burn session today on my newly built Subitism. Thank you for the wood from @oudlover. What an awesome experience. I think maybe I under heated it just a bit, but I did only get a nice honey wood incense note. Was extremely satisfying to build this inside a cigar box on my own and see it in action. The relaxation was great too. I’m a convert.

Need to work on my heating wire a bit—it’s kind of ugly...haha
View attachment 12584

If the wood is smoking then I don't think you're underheating it 🙂
 
If the wood is smoking then I don't think you're underheating it 🙂

Thank you sir. Maybe I actually did it right. I did a little reading before going at it, and tried to bring it up and down slowly in voltage to keep just the vapors coming from it without getting the acrid wood notes. That’s why I mentioned that I might have under-heated it some. It seemed as though only a 1.5 volt change would make a major difference in the activity from the wood. BUT, maybe that was just the sweet spot for this wood.

I believe I need to work on my design a bit more so the temperature change to the wood happens a little quicker. I think my air gap might be too large—maybe...further tinkering to follow. Possibly overthinking it too... 🙄
 
Agreed. The variable voltage tuning from barely warm to full-red-glow and combustion is what makes the subitism killer. I tend to heat in stages like others here. Low temp for an hour. Then a slight increase for another hour, and finally a brief high-heat burn time squeeze out those last clinging notes.

I mainly heat low temp but I wouldn’t want to be limited to it. I think I’d be frustrated with those mermade arts style foil cup lotus heaters that don’t get to combustion.

sproaty - that heating element in your subitism is well done!
 
I tend to start my voltage high and then reduce the temperature. But it's rare for my wood to smoke unless it's really thin, but if it starts to smoke, I reduce the heat

Yep, small voltage adjustments make a big difference - the copper heating wires don't start to glow on mine until around 8v

@Sproaty would you mind sending me a pic of your heating element. PM if you want. @Mr.P says yours is well done—I would like to see it please. I used a piece of 12 inch long Nichrome in mine (and not copper), and also used a piece of mica which already had holes in it. I wonder if I am losing heat from this setup because mine doesn’t glow until it reaches about 15 volts. At 8 volts it doesn’t get to 150 degrees. Thanks for the info!
 
@Sproaty would you mind sending me a pic of your heating element. PM if you want. @Mr.P says yours is well done—I would like to see it please. I used a piece of 12 inch long Nichrome in mine (and not copper), and also used a piece of mica which already had holes in it. I wonder if I am losing heat from this setup because mine doesn’t glow until it reaches about 15 volts. At 8 volts it doesn’t get to 150 degrees. Thanks for the info!

The length is probably too long or the connection not solid enough.
 
Sure,

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
The length is probably too long or the connection not solid enough.

Connections are very solid. I think I need to go down to around 9 inches. Putting the numbers into a Nichrome calculator I’ve realized I might have went a touch too long on the wire. Too much resistance. Thanks for the heads up @Andrew Salkin. I’m going to re-thread another sheet tonight with a shorter length.
 
Evening session with Nippon Kodo Borneo,
milled it in a pepper mill,
then heated very gently,
it’s like a swipe of oud without the terpene
top notes, still notes, and other volatiles.
So beautiful:Inlove:

Next up...
LMK Filipino
good stuff for sure!

Lastly...
Yamadamatsu Kyara
Check this out.....
I’m getting scotch tape, orange,
pine wood, and juniper berries.
Certainly not green oil,
but fragrant and enjoyable.
 
Since it is loose bakhoor low temperature just enough to make it 'steam'

Al Shareef's Layal bakhoor which I forgot I'd been kindly sent a sample of - I stumbled upon it the other day!
A dark brown powder with what looks like oud and sandalwood. Upon burning it I had the temperature too high and noticed it smoking, where I perceive a frankincense citric tartness. I'm trying to find the best temperature - not sure if this should be smoking on an electric heater. I have it at 9.61v currently and it's stopped smoking - a tad higher, and it smokes.

Gonna try and get some different ouds burned today, I've been heating a single piece for too long so I'm gonna try and switch it up more frequently during the day 🙂
 
Dr Incense- Green Kyara

Every time I experience a session of Kyara I thank Almighty ... for making me experience this ....I also pray all my ouddicts to get an opportunity to experience this....

Always speechless

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
 
Habzoud non sinking fili wood - this little shell is going the distance!

What is your strategy for burning pieces that are tough to get evenly heated?
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_20200513_122205.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 229
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_20200513_122133.webp
    131 KB · Views: 213
Revisited some old chips.

Malaysian chips that was supposedly
from the same tree that gave birth
to Agar Aura Sempurna and Kemegahan.
Got ‘em from Jasin.

At ultra low, I though I was smelling a
Walla Patta chip, but then it settled into
an oudy chip, with dark tamarind.

Next up, some Borneo mouse ears, which I got from JDHawk, and I think they are West Kalimantan.

At low it gives off a vintage perfume scent, then oudiness with white flower buds, but like your smelling them in an old antique drawer.
Further on......cocoa and tobacco.

It sure is kickin’ my brain😕
 
Back
Top