Fast sinking Philippine wood from Habzoud
WAs cleaning my cabin on the farm and found a big 10gram piece hiding in a crack in the floor along the wall behind my chair! It’s a 100 year old cabin in the deep woods so it’s got some cracks!
This is some of the most pleasurable wood to burn I can’t wait to make a batch of oil from the Philippines , it’s happening soon🤩
 
If this smells like Shokaku on low heat, then I would say it's definitely very worth it. Heated some more for tonight, really enjoying it so far. My first Vietnamese agarwood from Japan and it didn't disappoint.
I’ve tried Gyokushodo’s no.423, two from Daihatsu (the black and the orange labels), and Kungyokudo’s Kayo and Hakuun, but the no.422 tops them all.
I am happy with them all, except Hakuun, but if I were to put my $$ into it, just no.422

Today….Shoyeido Myo-ho

Baieido made a stick to capture the Vietnamese agarwood Hakusui scent,
in this same regard, I think the focus of Shoyeido’s blenders was to capture the kinamic side of kyara when they made Myo-ho.
 
Sabah 80s
laos Pusong 80s
heavenly =/
You made me want to heat Sabah too.
AH Sabah Ghattas

I just spent two hours sniffing a swipe of Saba Jinko, then I heated Sabah Ghattas,
the darn thing wants to kick in to fumigation mode at a higher heat, I don’t know if the gentle heating is too subtle, or my nose is already worn out. It’s getting late, will have to explore on some other day.
 
You made me want to heat Sabah too.
AH Sabah Ghattas

I just spent two hours sniffing a swipe of Saba Jinko, then I heated Sabah Ghattas,
the darn thing wants to kick in to fumigation mode at a higher heat, I don’t know if the gentle heating is too subtle, or my nose is already worn out. It’s getting late, will have to explore on some other day.
i had a really good burning in shop yesterday
Cambodi Khmer Rouge, laos two grade, chinese, sabah two grades too and few oils swipes 😋
keep the oud burning going!
 
I picked up a wonderful little yamadamatsu Rikkoku mini set from Japan incense. I’ve been working my way through a couple of the woods. I think this is a fantastic way to learn about Agarwood for only $150. The slivers are very tiny, especially the Kyara, but for learning about the Japanese classification of wood this is a must for anybody I think. The packaging is amazing too. Someone took some massive time in wrapping these woods up in some gorgeous paper. At the price it’s almost a no-brainer.

**this is the Kyara slivers in the pic—I am confident enough in my experience with Kinam and Kyara to say it isn’t the highest grade Kyara but it does what it’s supposed to do, in exposing the unique, indescribable scent very well.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    D21457FC-0082-4698-8593-B3F9340EBAB0.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 182
I picked up a wonderful little yamadamatsu Rikkoku mini set from Japan incense. I’ve been working my way through a couple of the woods. I think this is a fantastic way to learn about Agarwood for only $150. The slivers are very tiny, especially the Kyara, but for learning about the Japanese classification of wood this is a must for anybody I think. The packaging is amazing too. Someone took some massive time in wrapping these woods up in some gorgeous paper. At the price it’s almost a no-brainer.

**this is the Kyara slivers in the pic—I am confident enough in my experience with Kinam and Kyara to say it isn’t the highest grade Kyara but it does what it’s supposed to do, in exposing the unique, indescribable scent very well.
I was just thinking about picking up one of these. How is the quality of the rest of the woods? When you were searching for a rikkoku gomi set, did you come across any other offering online? I only know of Yamada offering it on JI.
 
I was just thinking about picking up one of these. How is the quality of the rest of the woods? When you were searching for a rikkoku gomi set, did you come across any other offering online? I only know of Yamada offering it on JI.
It’s the only one with small amounts of the wood and such a cheap price. I am planning to sort through and heat the other woods over the coming days, I’ll update you, but they look like decent enough wood. I suppose what appealed to me the most was the price and the idea of knowing that this is the Japanese classification. Heating a tiny sliver of the Kyara I would say it’s a very accurate representation of what I’ve experienced before.

I would liken it to saying—here’s 5 cigars, one Cuban, one Dominican, one Honduran, one USA, and one Nicaraguan but they are smallish and inexpensive brands. You’ll get the experience, but maybe not the full expression. Hope this makes some sense. For the price I figure it’s worth a shot. I don’t think I’ll become an expert but I’ll at least learn something new. My portable heater is charging up for some of the Rakoku tonight. I have some experience with Thai wood so I’ll report back.
 
It’s the only one with small amounts of the wood and such a cheap price. I am planning to sort through and heat the other woods over the coming days, I’ll update you, but they look like decent enough wood. I suppose what appealed to me the most was the price and the idea of knowing that this is the Japanese classification. Heating a tiny sliver of the Kyara I would say it’s a very accurate representation of what I’ve experienced before.

I would liken it to saying—here’s 5 cigars, one Cuban, one Dominican, one Honduran, one USA, and one Nicaraguan but they are smallish and inexpensive brands. You’ll get the experience, but maybe not the full expression. Hope this makes some sense. For the price I figure it’s worth a shot. I don’t think I’ll become an expert but I’ll at least learn something new. My portable heater is charging up for some of the Rakoku tonight. I have some experience with Thai wood so I’ll report back.
That sounds amazing and that's precisely the reason I've thought about getting one such kit. To experience first hand what the Japanese call Kyara, Sour, Salty, Sweet, etc.
 
Rakoku from Yamada Rikkoku mini. Notice a nice sweet woody scent almost right away, have to go up to about 180 degrees (C) to get to it. Kyara was fragrant at a much lower temp. This is good. Very good. Linear scent, not complex, but definitely hits the sweeter note on the head. I believe this to be a fairly high quality Thai wood. From my experience I would have guessed Borneo blindly on this wood. Makes me wonder if the Borneo wood I have been getting is maybe Thai. Hmmm...

2AA3748E-BBEC-48FF-BC5A-22413CC6B86C.jpeg
 
Ok so this is the Manaban in the Yamada Rikkoku mini set. First one to confuse me a bit. The classification has this as “salty” and I’m not sure I get that from this wood. Def smells like other Cambodian woods I have sampled, but I wouldn’t call it salty. It’s most assuredly sweet(ish) to my nose. It doesn’t have the bitter of Kyara or the exact sweetness of the Thai. After reading KyaraZens writeup on Rikkoku Gomi I can see why this could be different. Even within the classification there’s differing opinions on it. Fascinating stuff.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Ok so this is the Manaban in the Yamada Rikkoku mini set. First one to confuse me a bit. The classification has this as “salty” and I’m not sure I get that from this wood. Def smells like other Cambodian woods I have sampled, but I wouldn’t call it salty. It’s most assuredly sweet(ish) to my nose. It doesn’t have the bitter of Kyara or the exact sweetness of the Thai. After reading KyaraZens writeup on Rikkoku Gomi I can see why this could be different. Even within the classification there’s differing opinions on it. Fascinating stuff.
View attachment 18951
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I want to know how you find Manaka. 😀
 
Back
Top